Pics Of The Side Colours Of Historics or Murphy Labs ?

P.H.Fawcett

Reaction score
Given that I live in rural Australia I don't expect to be able to check out any Historics or Murphy Lab guitars.

I'm wondering if the ox blood hue on the side of the guitar, in this Youtube clip, is a common colour on Historics or ML's ? It seems to be in strong contrast to the cherry hue on the heel of the neck.

Would anyone have any photos of their guitars with this ox blood hue they'd be able to post.

Last edited:

calieng

Reaction score
One thing interesting for 2021 is that they have gone back to the dark cherry stain that was used in the 2015 True Historics. I guess this is the original color that a new 1959 would have had. The difference for this year is that it does not bleed like crazy into the binding the way the 2015 TH did so it likely will fade a lot slower as well.

tomajoha

Reaction score
One thing interesting for 2021 is that they have gone back to the dark cherry stain that was used in the 2015 True Historics. I guess this is the original color that a new 1959 would have had. The difference for this year is that it does not bleed like crazy into the binding the way the 2015 TH did so it likely will fade a lot slower as well.
Great shots Cali - are your ML 20's or 21's?

calieng

Reaction score
Great shots Cali - are your ML 20's or 21's?
They are all 2021 but the light aged is a 5 digit serial 9 1XXX and the other two are 6 digit serials 901XXX so I assume that makes it an earlier one or maybe they just goofed on the format for that guitar?

tomajoha

Reaction score
They are all 2021 but the light aged is a 5 digit serial 9 1XXX and the other two are 6 digit serials 901XXX so I assume that makes it an earlier one or maybe they just goofed on the format for that guitar?
Yes the 1XXX/01XXX convention has been confusing me - thought I was going mad!

calieng

Reaction score
The 2020s I have are the heavy aged '54 and the light aged '58 urine burst. They are 5 digit as well. I think they added the 0 recently expecting to sell a bunch more of the '59s.

tomajoha

Reaction score
The 2020s I have are the heavy aged '54 and the light aged '58 urine burst. They are 5 digit as well. I think they added the 0 recently expecting to sell a bunch more of the '59s.
And the one that went back?

Urine burst cracks me up - is that the real name?

calieng

Reaction score
The Urine Burst is #1 of 1 and will likely be worth $1M some day but your can buy it today for a mere $6k!!!!

hahah.

The one that went back was a Factory Burst ultra light aged. Kind of wanted that color and was going to let another one go in its place but I can live without it for now. I have enough Murphys now. Still need to downsize the collection a bit.

Latest Threads