Pickups suggestions for my Epi Explorer

Mockbel

Reaction score
Hi Brothers

I have this Epi Explorer for a year now.. it is a nice playing guitar but I want to push it to be a Heavy Metal tool.. the current Epiphone Vintage pickups don’t help at all so I am thinking of a pickups swap.

I want high output pair that help me playing Metallica, Megadeth, Pantera and that kind of stuff… Not willing to go for active pickups as well.. Seymour Duncan Distortion set is what it in my mind actually… any other thoughts?
FCBB6CA1-A069-4A04-AAA6-CFB6DF9515D5.jpeg

Mockbel

Reaction score
Duncan JB at the bridge for hi gain and a Duncan Phat Cat at neck for cleans.
I have JB on other 2 guitars and I love them but I feel they are more for hard rock.. looking for more aggressive thing

smk506

Reaction score
I have bill Lawrence pickups in one of my Lps and I really like them for high gain uses, they sound great clean too. They’re what the dimebucker is based on.

I actually have at least one extra set kicking around if you want them. It’ll probably take a while to get to you, but you can have them for free if you want them.

Great to see you brother!

syco

Reaction score
SD Mayhem Set or Distortion .

noodlingguitars

Reaction score
What amp setup are you running this through? Modern amps give out more than enough gain for any genre of metal (like to the point even single coils would chug). Are you running a booster in front? In fact, a lot of the newer duncan pickups for modern metal are aimed towards slightly flatter eq and clarity rather than super high output.

If you really want a very hot set, you could always try the SD dime set - esp . the dimebucker. That thing's hot.

Mockbel

Reaction score
I have bill Lawrence pickups in one of my Lps and I really like them for high gain uses, they sound great clean too. They’re what the dimebucker is based on.

I actually have at least one extra set kicking around if you want them. It’ll probably take a while to get to you, but you can have them for free if you want them.

Great to see you brother!
Thank you brother

You know I live in Egypt.. so so far :)
I will look for something locally or order through a currier to ensure delivery

Mockbel

Reaction score
I have just heard few demos and comparisons for the Dimarzio X2N … and I am blown away to be honest !

CB91710

Not Michael Sankar
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
+1 on the JB.
It is capable of pretty much anything you'd really need, and still cleans up nicely for classic rock and blues.

To go to the next step, with the bonus of black pole pieces... The Nazgul/Sentient pair, or for a more industrial look with the button-head pole pieces, the Invader.
Invader used to be one of the hottest non-active pickups out there... I've got them in my Kramer, but I think the Nazgul/Sentient edge it out and look less dated.

OldBenKenobi

Reaction score
If you're looking for passive Metallica the Invader is what they used before switching to EMGs.

Red Beard

Reaction score
I own serval guitars with JB and Distortions
The JB is more round fuller sounding pick up with high gain
Distortions way brighter

Mockbel

Reaction score
Guys.. I am blown by the Dimarzio X2N … none of my 9 guitars sound that brutal even my LTD with EMGs

I think I will get it for Bridge but now what should I get for Neck to match it ?

Thundermtn

Reaction score
DiMarzio Evolution

Check out the Lundgren M6 too for the bridge, you might like it more than the X2N. Don't forget that clarity is important and you can just and gain to the amp side and be heard and heavy.

Last edited:

Latest Threads