pickups out of phase help

dju

Reaction score
hi all, I added a neck humbucker to to my tele to make a fat tele. however when I use the neck+bridge middle switch setting the sound is thin and not very pleasant. individually the pickups sound fine. my guess is my pickups are out of phase. I was originally hoping that there was a simple fix like swapping the pickup hot wire and the ground on one of the pickups but after some reading I'm pretty sure that's not the fix for it. then I found this posting https://www.mylespaul.com/threads/out-of-phase-quack.435346/ and I am now hoping all I need to do is flip the magnet as shown it the link and all will be well. any thoughts or feedback before I go tearing into my pickup?
thanks,
dj

p.s. the pickups being used are a Lindy Fralin Sunbucker and SD broadcaster.

cooljuk

Transducer Producer
Premium Member
Reaction score
If they are out of phase in the middle, you can fix it with wiring or by flipping the magnet. It makes no difference which way you address it. The result is the same.

What will determine how you choose to address the phasing is which method is easier with your gear...

• If you've got no cover on the neck pickup, the magnet flip is probably easiest.

• If you've got a cover installed and four conductor wiring already to the humbucker, a wire swap at the humbucker wiring to the switch is probably easiest.

• If you've got a cover installed and braided shield wiring on the humbucker, a wire swap and mod to independent ground on the bridge pickup is probably easiest.

dju

Reaction score
thanks for the reply cooljuk.
I got inpatient last night and went ahead and flipped the magnet. still sounds thin and hollow. might be something else going on with my wiring. I also had switched to 500k pots and ~500k resister from the switch to ground on the bridge pickup as per the fender fat tele wiring diagram I found. I might just go back to a standard tele pickup configuration and call it a day. I just wanted to try something different as I have another tele with the SS configuration and I always thought the SH configuration looked cool ala Keith Richards and Chris Robinson.

dj

cooljuk

Transducer Producer
Premium Member
Reaction score
It sounds thin ONLY in the middle position, both before and after the magnet flip?

You can check each pickup independently by wiring the pickup straight to the output jack. The pickups should sound "normal" like that and you can at least confirm that they are each operating as expected on their own, independent of each other or your control harness.

dju

Reaction score
I put a duncan alnico pro 2 in place of the fralin neck pickup and the broadcaster and APH2 play much nicer together in the middle position. I guess the fralin and duncan just don't like to play together very well.
maybe i'll get a seth lover or antiquity for the neck as the APH2 was just to see if the 2 duncan pcikups would work together better than the fralin/duncan combo.

marksoundguitars

Chief Paint Sniffer
Reaction score
SD pickups are wound "backwards" from pretty much everyone else. Just swap the + and - wires on one of the pickups and that will fix it.

Zoobiedood

Reaction score
This means swap the black and green wire. Green becomes hot, and black (and bare) is ground. There are no standards established for wire colors or phase.