Pickup swap on 2018-19 LP Classic?

Red_Label

Reaction score
Hello. I bought a pair of DiMarzio 36th Anniversary PAFs to swap out with the stock pups in my recent model LP Classic. I posed the question elsewhere on this forum about pickup swaps and it was suggested that I buy an aftermarket pigtails to wire the DiMarzios for, so I could use the existing plugins on the Gibson PC board. Made sense. And when I ordered a pair of quick connect pigtails off of ebay, and asked the seller to set them up for the DiMarzio wiring scheme (the seller offered that service at no charge), the color scheme that I received doesn't seem to match the scheme currently in the Gibby. In the Gibby, the color schemes do not match the schems of the adapters that I bought at all. I thought about wiring them up color for color, but I can't do that because the two color schemes for the neck and bridge pickups in the LP itself aren't the same. Should I just go ahead and wire color for color? Doesn't make sense that I could do that, since the two color schemes are different on the LP. I don't understand...

Justin_Case

Reaction score
An email to the the guy you got the pigtails from is probably going to be your best and quickest source of a good answer.

Not a high percentage of people here who have Plug and Plays, even fewer with experience
wiring up pigtails.

Red_Label

Reaction score
An email to the the guy you got the pigtails from is probably going to be your best and quickest source of a good answer.

Not a high percentage of people here who have Plug and Plays, even fewer with experience
wiring up pigtails.
Yeah, I kinda figured that after I posted, so I went ahead and messaged him. I have the DiMarzio schemes that I can go on obviously, but since both connectors have different schemes on the Gibby PC board, there's no way to tell how exactly how the schemes are really supposed to be. If it comes to it, I'll just figure out a scheme with the basic 2 conductor switching options, since I don't use the push-pull options anyways. But it would still be nice to have the option of those tones. Thanks for your input.

ARandall

Reaction score
Many Gibson's with splits wire them so they are hum cancelling in the middle position when split.
In that case they have wires and magnet altered to achieve that.

BRMarshall

Reaction score
I've swapped out DiMarzio and Syemour Duncan pickups on a few guitars, but I always bind the two extra wires together (no coil taps/splits). For DiMarzio, the red runs from the pickup to the output (black wire for SD). The green wire is your ground of course. That should leave the black and white for the coil tap/cut. I would try following the original wires. On some, I've left a tail from the original wire, twisted the new wire with the old, dropped on some solder, and electrical taped it up. Doesn't look "professional" I guess, but it works and seems to stay in tact. That control cavity looks tight.

Be patient and take your time. Please let us know how the 36th Anniversary PAFs sound - I've been looking at those myself. Best of luck!

Red_Label

Reaction score
Got the connector pigtails wired straight across, color-for-color to the DiMarzio pickups (as the ebay seller suggested when I messaged him) and everything works perfectly. I haven't spent enough time to really listen to the tone, but the couple of minutes of playing that I did, they sounded great. Will give a report on that once I've spent a little time with her tonight.

Roxy13

Reaction score
I have a CAR Edwards singlecut that I just put double cream pickups into and gold reflector knobs on and OMG it looks like your guitar's twin :rofl:

Red_Label

Reaction score
I have a CAR Edwards singlecut that I just put double cream pickups into and gold reflector knobs on and OMG it looks like your guitar's twin :rofl:
Very nice. I've been close to pulling the trigger on several Edwards' over the years. Still would, for the right one. A Johm Sykes and/or Randy Rhoads clone would most likely be the ones. Especially a Sykes. I think I missed one or two of those on ebay. If I wasn't locking into the most recent R0 that I brought home, I would probably look for a Sykes again right now.

Latest Threads