Pickup swap for Epi Explorer

Mockbel

Reaction score
Hi friends

I want to replace the stock pickups of my recently purchased Epi Explorer…stock pickups are Epiphone ProBucker or something like that… they call it “vintage “ but I would call it “too weak” for what I got this guitar for.. I want to play heavy stuff (i.e metal) on this guitar.. thinking about Seymour Duncan Distortion set as it is locally available..

Any of you have these pickups on such guitar? How do they perform?

Davey Rock

Reaction score
Hi friends

I want to replace the stock pickups of my recently purchased Epi Explorer…stock pickups are Epiphone ProBucker or something like that… they call it “vintage “ but I would call it “too weak” for what I got this guitar for.. I want to play heavy stuff (i.e metal) on this guitar.. thinking about Seymour Duncan Distortion set as it is locally available..

Any of you have these pickups on such guitar? How do they perform?
Definitely one of the most iconic sets. I personally have a Nazgul and sentient set from Duncan in my epiphone. Country metal rock jazz funk, you name it they can do it. The Nazgul bridge was originally made for 7 and 8 string guitars as a way to clear up the mud and make notes much more audible in a heavily distorted mix, so going with slight overdrive on a six string? Good as gone…from their shelf I mean. The Duncan distortions are one of two or three sets I’ve heard that have their own unique sound. Go for it.

CB91710

Not Michael Sankar
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you're looking for a hot set, the Duncan Distortion is good, but it's not the hottest Duncan offers....

Mockbel

Reaction score
If you're looking for a hot set, the Duncan Distortion is good, but it's not the hottest Duncan offers....

Not looking for the hottest… I am a big fan of JB and have in two of my superstrats… I want something a bit hotter and I believe Distortion is meeting this criteria

CB91710

Not Michael Sankar
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not looking for the hottest… I am a big fan of JB and have in two of my superstrats… I want something a bit hotter and I believe Distortion is meeting this criteria
According to SD's charts, the bass response is comparable, but the mids are notably higher, along with a little more treble.

Latest Threads