Pickup Suggestions

desertrocker

Reaction score
HI! I'm considering some new pickups for a 2021 Les Paul Standard 60s I just picked up :)

I had a nice set of BKP Black Dogs in a 594 but I sadly had to sell that guitar but the pickups were great. They could do some higher gain stuff (I play some grungy stuff and use lots of fuzz) but also had tons of clarity. I generally really like P90s but want to keep the LP as a Humbucker guitar for thicker sounds.

I was thinking of getting another set of Black Dogs but then i just recently saw the OX4 Hot Duanes and was wondering if that would be a good option? Any one compared these? I am also a fan of Zhangbucker (got some Super Paul Bunyans in a Tele) so trying to find suggestions and see what would be a good options but generally not too familiar with humbuckers these days. My last LP was a Classic and had a pair of Pearly Gates which were great.

I play through an Orange Rockerverb 50 and a Twin a lot with Tonebender or Muff style fuzz and lots of delay. Play a bit of 90s and some classic rock covers and a bit of post-rock. Thanks in advance!

mjross

Reaction score
Interesting! Didn't think about Wolfetones. I have a pair of them in a Kauer Daylighter and I am a big fan of them. Will check those out. Thanks!
They were on sale for 25% off for a while. Hopefully, Wolfe is still running the sale, great guy! Best value for pickups out there. Good luck with your quest Sir!

desertrocker

Reaction score
They were on sale for 25% off for a while. Hopefully, Wolfe is still running the sale, great guy! Best value for pickups out there. Good luck with your quest Sir!
They still are, just shot him a message! Thanks again.

Metlking

Reaction score
As already said......Wolfetone!

Marshallhead A2 bridge and Dr Vintage neck.....still 25% off with COVID25 coupon code!

Hecubus

Reaction score
I love Wolfetones, but don't dismiss the Hot Duanes.

The bridge is a great A5 PAF and well suited for all things 70s rock (Zep, Aerosmith, ZZ top).
The neck is truly unique. It is hotter than the bridge but still matches perfectly. Clean, it nails the Allman Bros at the Filmore. With some dirt it gets the Slash solo tones. It really shines with a slide.

Compared to the Wolfetone Marshallheads, the Hot Duanes are warmer and less in your face but similar. The Marshallheads cut through anything and will probably do better for 90s. I prefer the Hot Duanes for 70s and Southern rock.

1allspub

Reaction score
If you really liked the Pearlys, try some Cream T Whisker Buckers or Scan 3s (same wind, WBs come with BFG packaging and paraphernalia and is are individually numbered, while the Scan 3s don’t and are about $150 cheaper... buy they are the same wind—just different marketing).

desertrocker

Reaction score
Placed an order for a Marshallhead in the neck and Timber Wolf/Fenrir in the bridge. Basically can change from AII to AV by changing the magnet! Thanks for the suggestions!

Latest Threads