Pickup suggestions please

nac

Reaction score
Hey all,

I have Gold Top LP that I want to replace the pickups in. I bought it used and it came with a Suhr SSH+ (17k) in the bridge. It's great for what it is but it's too hot for me. I'd like to drop down to around 10 -12k range. Generally I like A5 in the bridge but I'm open to looking around as well. I'm looking for something that can push the amp a little harder and give me a little compression but with a big full warm sweet tone.

Also, wasn't there a pinned post with a list of winders?

Thanks in advance

nac

Reaction score
Wolfetone marshallhead.
Thanks for the tip. I just went to the Wolfetone site to check them out. I looked across their offering and was impressed with the Legend pickups as well. I may need to revise my criteria a bit. I think the main thing I 'm looking for is a warm, sweet pickup. I'd love it if it could push the amp a little harder but if I get the right tone I can always use a boost to push the amp.

LP1865

Reaction score
Hey all,

I have Gold Top LP that I want to replace the pickups in. I bought it used and it came with a Suhr SSH+ (17k) in the bridge. It's great for what it is but it's too hot for me. I'd like to drop down to around 10 -12k range. Generally I like A5 in the bridge but I'm open to looking around as well. I'm looking for something that can push the amp a little harder and give me a little compression but with a big full warm sweet tone.

Also, wasn't there a pinned post with a list of winders?

Thanks in advance
Tonerider Rocksong!
Its pretty darn articulate, nails everything from country to death metal.
And yes, it has an A2 mag.

Reactions: nac

monty john

Reaction score
check out a seymour duncan pearly gates for the bridge....gigged with pu for 6 plus years

jcsk8

Reaction score
Thanks for the tip. I just went to the Wolfetone site to check them out. I looked across their offering and was impressed with the Legend pickups as well. I may need to revise my criteria a bit. I think the main thing I 'm looking for is a warm, sweet pickup. I'd love it if it could push the amp a little harder but if I get the right tone I can always use a boost to push the amp.
Many PAF style pickups, even in the "low" 8k´s iare capable to dig in when you need.
I use Dr. vintages and love them, doing exactly what you told. Using a boss sd-1 when I need something more in the hard rock teritory. I told the Marshallheads cause they are slight hotter, around 9k, but still pretty good souding in the vintage area, if there is such thing.

You can also turn the volume around 6 or 7 and soung with a smoth drive and go back to 10 when you need then to sing. PAF´s are fun, but the 10k above usually pushes the amp to hard. Harder to tame.

MCT

Reaction score
Remember- DC Resistance is not the be-all and end-all when thinking about pickup output. Things like inductance, coil winding patterns matter a helluva lot too.

You'll get countless pickup recommendations, especially without more specifics on your style of music, your set up (which amp, whether you're a pedal user for OD, etc), and reference tones.

nac

Reaction score
Remember- DC Resistance is not the be-all and end-all when thinking about pickup output. Things like inductance, coil winding patterns matter a helluva lot too.

You'll get countless pickup recommendations, especially without more specifics on your style of music, your set up (which amp, whether you're a pedal user for OD, etc), and reference tones.
Yeah, true. As I spend the day listening to clips I'm finding that I like the richness and fullness of pickups that tend to be in the 8-9k range. The Wolfetone Legends for example. Something that can take Marshall tones and get that rich, saturated full sound. .38 Special, Skynyrd up through some 80's rock

You want 10-12k with what gauge wire, what size bobbins, what coil pattern, and how much offset?
Honestly, I don't really know and it doesn't matter to me. I'm not looking for as close to PAF specs as possible, I'm hoping to find a big fat full humbucker that can give me rich saturated Marshall type tones for southern rock, 80's stuff and some clean tones. Initially I thought of a hotter pickup as a way to help me get a little compression and that saturated tone but I'm realizing that may not be what I'm looking for. I may need to get the sweetness and tone from something lower and then find a way to boost

If I understood how the wire gauge, bobbin size, coil patter and offset all affected the overall tone better I could answer your question better and probably help narrow down my choices as well. If you have the time, and feel so inclined to help me understand it all I'd appreciate it.

Didn't there used to be a list of all the different winders pinned? I'm guessing it became out of date and was taken down?

MCT

Reaction score
I'm not looking for as close to PAF specs as possible, I'm hoping to find a big fat full humbucker that can give me rich saturated Marshall type tones for southern rock, 80's stuff and some clean tones. Initially I thought of a hotter pickup as a way to help me get a little compression and that saturated tone but I'm realizing that may not be what I'm looking for.
Just to clarify - do you play with a Marshall-style amp? Chances are, you're not going to get that tone no matter what pickup you use if you play with an amp that sounds nothing like the tone you're chasing.

nac

Reaction score
Just to clarify - do you play with a Marshall-style amp? Chances are, you're not going to get that tone no matter what pickup you use if you play with an amp that sounds nothing like the tone you're chasing.
I have a Kemper so, yes - sort of? :)

MCT

Reaction score
I have a Kemper so, yes - sort of? :)
Ah, okay, so you can get an approximation of that amp sound.

Then I think you have a plethora of options. I concur with opting for something 7.5-8.5k in DCR output, the rest will be dependent on your subjective taste. I think trying something on the T-Top or Pat# end of the spectrum may be what you're looking for, but the Wolfetone Legends you mentioned might get you there. I actually have a set and I certainly find them raunchy, with the trade-off coming from a bit less definition than others when the tone and volume are pushed

Honestly, hit up some demo videos on youtube (rocknofrol and visualguy both have done a ton of fantastic demo videos on YT) or some winders' websites and pick out which ones tickle your fancy. From there, maybe we can hone in the general part of the sonic spectrum you like and offer other examples of that.

Enjoy this ride- it's a good dilemma to have.

Last edited:

AJK1

Reaction score
Yeah, true. As I spend the day listening to clips I'm finding that I like the richness and fullness of pickups that tend to be in the 8-9k range. The Wolfetone Legends for example. Something that can take Marshall tones and get that rich, saturated full sound. .38 Special, Skynyrd up through some 80's rock

Honestly, I don't really know and it doesn't matter to me. I'm not looking for as close to PAF specs as possible, I'm hoping to find a big fat full humbucker that can give me rich saturated Marshall type tones for southern rock, 80's stuff and some clean tones. Initially I thought of a hotter pickup as a way to help me get a little compression and that saturated tone but I'm realizing that may not be what I'm looking for. I may need to get the sweetness and tone from something lower and then find a way to boost

If I understood how the wire gauge, bobbin size, coil patter and offset all affected the overall tone better I could answer your question better and probably help narrow down my choices as well. If you have the time, and feel so inclined to help me understand it all I'd appreciate it.

Didn't there used to be a list of all the different winders pinned? I'm guessing it became out of date and was taken down?
Duncan Saturday Night Special

Latest Threads