Pickup Rings?

mikejr

Reaction score
Can someone shed some light on Les Paul pickup rings? I've search and not found a definitive thread on the subject - so either everyone knows or no-one cares. Given that I see 'vintage' style pickup rings for North of $100 someone must care.

Anyone care enough to post some pics and educate a noob?

Edit for clarity - specifically what makes some rings more desirable that others, is it color? Tooling marks?

gball

Reaction score
This is by no means scientific, but I believe it is rooted in the almost religious zeal that guitar players seem to have for all [guitar related] things 1950's. The mindset that if that's how they did it back then it has to be better, and the obsession with taking new guitars and trying to make them look like old guitars.

Functionally? It's a piece of freaking plastic that holds the pickups in place, whether it costs 29 cents or 100 dollars.

PierM

Reaction score
There is not any benefit in changing rings, doesn't matter colors, era, cost etc...

It's just about being interested or not about vintage specs, same way guys with vintage cars hobby are always searching for the most correct bits for their cars, to make them appears as original one. There is nothing wrong with that, but yeah, totally useless tone wise. It is about colors, about codes, about machine marks etc... It's just a passion, sort of OCD for historic correctness.

The only thing coming from the past that I think it's better, are historic rings height. I would prefer historic rings than modern. They were looking better and more helpful to calibrate your pup heights because of the better reference.

TheX

wo0t
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Functionally? It's a piece of freaking plastic that holds the pickups in place, whether it costs 29 cents or 100 dollars.

Whoa, not so fast there Skippy. Truth and logic have no place in a thread about pickup rings.

Gnarleydudes80

Reaction score
Im glad you asked this...i see those threads all the time. Dududes spend all this money on extra parts, and to me the guitar looks exactly the same when its done.

jstarr

Starr Guitar Works
Reaction score
$20 for a set of Gibson Historic rings never killed anyone.

ARandall

Reaction score
People pay all sorts of $$ for accurate cream rings.

They cost mainly due to having to make custom mouldings for small runs.....but for some the look is very important.

The key with pickup rings is hopefully getting the screw holes to match up. That is where buying Gibson might help.

1allspub

Reaction score
Short, modern rings don't resonate as well as their taller Historic counterparts... and therefore rob tone. Everyone knows that. Sheesh...... ;)

Ok, seriously, the taller ones just look better. Why in the H-E-Double-Hockey-Sticks Gibson doesn't ditch making the short modern rings and just use the tall ones on everything, I have no idea.

C_Becker

Dat Gibson smell
Reaction score
They are the secret behind the legendary Les Paul tone ;)
Kidding aside, they are a cosmetic part, go with the ones you like best

mikejr

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies - makes much more sense now.

ehamady6

Reaction score
I changed rings to add another personal touch. Customization rules and I can't leave well-enough alone anyway.

Ridleyd

Reaction score
From what I have read, the Gibson Historic rings are flat on the bottom and must be hand carved to match the top, is this correct?

Gibsonrocknroll

Reaction score
From what I have read, the Gibson Historic rings are flat on the bottom and must be hand carved to match the top, is this correct?

I have gibson historic rings on my 2005 les pauls and had no issues installing them. As I screwed them down they contoured to the body.

madmusicltd

Reaction score

yes, I had to carve mine, if you do not they may stick up above the cover in the middle in most cases

madmusicltd

Reaction score
I added curly maple rings to my PRS~
IMG_0263.jpg

C_Becker

Dat Gibson smell
Reaction score
^^ Thats a great idea, looks really nice !

PierM

Reaction score
Why in the H-E-Double-Hockey-Sticks Gibson doesn't ditch making the short modern rings and just use the tall ones on everything, I have no idea.

I couldn't agree more with you here...but I've the suspect they do gain much more money that way, because of the after market parts. This way they do generate another difference with the CS, and you are forced to pay more money for the customizing. This works for everything you can find after market, plastics, hardware etc.. They do know the majority would love more to have vintage specs parts but they needs to keep more markets alive; USA, CS, Aftermarket.

Latest Threads