pickup rings installation question

frankyboy

Reaction score
Hi, I searched the forum but I did not find an answer, to change the rings can I remove all the strings without risking damaging the tension on the trussrod, beginner's question, thank you if can someone help me, sorry for my english, thanks

efstop

Wattsamatta U graduate
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi, I searched the forum but I did not find an answer, to change the rings can I remove all the strings without risking damaging the tension on the trussrod, beginner's question, thank you if can someone help me, sorry for my english, thanks
Yes, you can. Sometimes you can loose the strings enough to do the job, but no worries if you take them all off. Some members replace their strings by taking them all off.

Christosterone

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I swap rings and covers all the time…
always swap strings too…too fiddly with strings on….
im not talented and can do it…

I especially suck at getting the spring screw in…takes me like 10 minutes lol

anyhow, swap em with no strings is my advice…

heck, I just changed the pole screws from nickel to black to gold And back to black on my wine red hp…
my hands are too tired to eff with those screws again…
they are black forevermore ha

-chris

_Old_Metal_Head_

Reaction score
Make sure you get the same size rings. The mounting hole spacing may be different on some older guitars.

Brazilnut

Reaction score
If you're doing a lot of pickup swapping, you might want to get a pair of Humbucker Helpers from StewMac. Takes all the cussing out of getting those pickups in the rings. Look ma, no more flying springs....lol

Findthetone

Reaction score
If you're doing a lot of pickup swapping, you might want to get a pair of Humbucker Helpers from StewMac. Takes all the cussing out of getting those pickups in the rings. Look ma, no more flying springs....lol
Yeah man, at some point in your life you just get tired of chasing shit across the room and buy them :laugh2:

frankyboy

Reaction score
oh yes, thanks guys, I'm going to be careful with the springs, and I'm going to remove all the strings, it's going to be easier :dude::cheers2:

ARandall

Reaction score
If you were to leave strings off over multiple seasons then the neck might move in certain ways that might take time to overcome. A few days or a week of no strings with fairly stable environment won't do anything to affect the neck at all.
The trussrod is not there to make the neck stable or straight - the wood is perfectly able to do that by itself. It merely assists to resist the string tension pulling it too far.

frankyboy

Reaction score
well I finally changed my pickup rings, with aligator clips for the springs, it's very well done, there are just my new silver screws which are slightly thicker, 2.5mm vs 2.25mm so I kept the old black for the moment, have you already replaced the screws with bigger ones? thank you

Latest Threads