Pickup Resistance

joafink2

Reaction score
I have a bridge pickup by a known winder with an A5 magnet that measures 8.2k. What would going up hotter, say to like a 9.2k yield me? This guitar is slightly bright and I'm looking for a little more aggression and compression from the bridge pickup than the 8.2k is giving me. Is there a general rule of thumb of how higher or lower resistance impacts the tone?

cooljuk

Transducer Producer
Premium Member
Reaction score
Is there a general rule of thumb of how higher or lower resistance impacts the tone?
No, there is definitely not, because resistance doesn't take into account any of the factors that alter pickup voice other than turn counts, and it's not reliable to determine that, as it can't account for coil patterns, bobbin / coil geometry, wire size within a gauge or wire variance along its length.

The best thing you can do is contact the maker of the pickup and describe for them the tonal changes you would like to have from the pickup. That maker, already knowing their design, materials, and methods used, can then recommend a plan of action to get you where you want to be.

ARandall

Reaction score
And the same maker can often have numerous different voices within a narrow K range. So you need to have the specific wind name known too.

Latest Threads