Pickup questions

59plexi

Reaction score
I am considering replacing the pickups in my 2009 Gibson les paul studio deluxe. A burstbucker pro and a neck 490. I find the burstbucker pro to have to much high end .And the treble is not really sweet at all, its harsh.
I usually go for a low output, very warm sounding pickup with a sweet top end. And the neck 490 is just mud. In the neck i need a clear, warm sounding bell like tone, sweet on the ears.

I am confused with the pickup choices today.
Questions i have are.

1.Should i go for a unpotted pickup? Never had one,will it feedback badly?
I play through a Marshall DSL 50 watt head and a 1980 JCM800 slant with "65's

2.Is there a big diffrence between a much more epensive pickup like a
Bareknuckle vs a SD seth lover?

I don't want to spend an arm and a leg if i don't need to but if there is that
much diffrence i will gladly spend the cash

3. pickup manufacters

I really just need to hear some of your recemendations to make a more informed decision.

Thanks in advance!

:thumb:

adamsvok

Reaction score
I usually go for a low output, very warm sounding pickup with a sweet top end.

I'm pretty sure you're talking about the 57/57 plus combination. Great for blues, jazz, classic rock. That neck pup with the tone rolled back is like an es 175. Great and versatile pick ups. If you wanna go a little wilder BB 1-2-3 are great as well but they're definately hotter!

chumpchange

Reaction score
if you haven't already tried moving them up and down for the sweet spot, i'd try that first...

59plexi

Reaction score
Yea I adjusted the pickups height and pole height as well and got it to sound much better, but i have never had to do that with any other pickup in 30 years,so i'm really re-thinking this pickup thing. Sometimes it sounds good and sometimes it just sounds bad,wierd i know....Can anyone tell me if the SD seth lover might be a little warmer and smoother? or any other pickup for that matter?
Thanks in advance

GERRYGTR62

Reaction score
I'd reccomend a Ducan 59---it'll warm up your tone and then some!!:thumb:

59plexi

Reaction score
I'd reccomend a Ducan 59---it'll warm up your tone and then some!!:thumb:

Thanks Gerry,BTW went to visit a friend yeaterday and he had a little Blackstar combo 1 watt with a ecc83 in it,and man that thing blew me away, I can see why you use them...Rock on:dude:

vulture

Reaction score
I have 57's in my SG 61RI & they are very good sounding to me. But folks will recommend their fave's to you as sounding more vintage, PAF type, authentic, etc. Man the only way you're going to know is to try them out. This is how guitar enthusiasts end up with boxes & coffee cans full of spare parts. There is no short cut.

Just my 2 cents.

bdubbs

Reaction score
I have BB1/2 in my traditional I find them clear and think they sound great. I also have the same observation you do about the 490. The BB1 does not get muddy and I think I appreciate it even more coming from the 490.

classic

Reaction score
I don't want to spend an arm and a leg if i don't need to but if there is that
much diffrence i will gladly spend the cash

Can anyone tell me if the SD seth lover might be a little warmer and smoother? or any other pickup for that matter?

You can be a lucky guy and find what you're looking for in a short time range without spending time and cash ...
But I've made the experience that nobody can recommend the right thing if you've got THAT sound in your ear ... and you're trying and trying, jumping from one winder to the next one, and so on ...
I've tried BKs, Lollars, Wolfetones, which had been not bad, but they were lacking of something what I've had in my mind.
A couple of German winders had been also in the row ... until I've found MY pickups finally.
In the meantime I spotted two other guys, who seem to having found the trick too ...
What I want to say ... take your time ... it could be a long way for you!

acstorfer

Reaction score
As far as question 2

I would consider my current bridge pickup to be "high end". It is a Jason Lollar Imperial. I love it, it nails what I am looking for. That being said, I had a set of GFS pups in a Flying V I once owned and they thoroughly impressed me. Very articulate pickups and very reasonably priced. So what I am saying is, find the sound you are looking for in a pickup. It doesn't matter if it's low end or high end as long as it nails what you're looking for.

Now the experience I have with my Lollar is exceptional. I was a very easy customer. I did a lot of research, listened to a lot of samples. Re-listened to everything. Did blind studies. By the end I knew exactly what I wanted, which is still risky because you never know what it will sound like on your guitar thru your rig. That being said, the value of high priced pickups isn't necessarily the pickup itself. The value comes from the communication with the winder. If given the right pickup winder, they will get to know you and ask you in depth and detailed questions regarding what you are looking for. Then they will customize something to fit you and not an anonymous customer base. Don't get me wrong, I'm not putting down the low cost ones at all. If you know what you want you can do very well for not much money. IMHO, my GFS pups in my V sounded better than any OEM pickup that wasn't a Dimarzio, also I had a guitar that was a prototype, no one knows the pups that were in her, but man that Mockingbird sounded sweet.

Good luck looking for your pickups. I had a lot of fun in finding what I wanted, I hope you have an equally enjoyable and educational experience.

koopman

Reaction score
I really like Bare Knuckle Pickups. Personally, I don't think any brand is better than one another, but BKP's have really helped contribute to 'my sound.'

I found a huge improvement over stock pickups. The clarity, dynamics, and overall tone improved with BKP's. The most noticeable change was the clarity. I could actually hear each individual string ring out in big chords.
Some people could say BKP's 'lack something', but they're generally lower in output than SD's or Gibson pups (which benefits the overall clarity).
It's just a matter of taste. If you feel $300 on pickups is justifiable, go for it. I went for it, and I'm not going back!

Rock City

Reaction score
Yea I adjusted the pickups height and pole height as well and got it to sound much better, but i have never had to do that with any other pickup in 30 years,so i'm really re-thinking this pickup thing. Sometimes it sounds good and sometimes it just sounds bad,wierd i know....Can anyone tell me if the SD seth lover might be a little warmer and smoother? or any other pickup for that matter?
Thanks in advance

Electric guitar like any other instrument should directly reflect and express you and your mood. Sometimes if you are sad or bored, guitar sounds boring too and weeps for pickup swap. Then, you shine like sun and your guitar just sings in joy, roars and kick ass.
You have great pickups. Adjust them, don't swap. Don't let midlife crisis misjudge for you. Or you have some extra cash and spare time? :thumb:

tazzboy

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I'll counter the Gibson 57 classic and Plus with ReWind Creme Burlee.

Backstage

Reaction score
You might consider a wiring upgrade for your guitar first.

Classicplayer

Reaction score
I also have a Les Paul Studio Deluxe (2010). It has the stock 490R and Burstbucker Pro (Alnico V?) pickups. I was used to the Duncan '59 set in I have in my Classic and also in a Hamer. These Studio stock ones presented a big change in tone. I adjusted the pickups heights for a full sound from each when played individually, then re-adjusted from for a decent middle position, with bite. I am sticking with the stock pups and I've learned to e.q. my amps for as bright a tone as I can get on the neck 490R. So far, it's working. I've taken it as far as I can without swapping for a different set.

If you do something similar to what I've done and you are still not happy, then you might go in the Duncan direction i.e. a Jazz in the neck and C5 in the bridge.....something along that line. I don't want to get into the endless search for the perfect pickup, but I don't think there is one out there.

Classicplayer

GERRYGTR62

Reaction score
59plexi: thx, dude!! Blackstar has been a total revealtion to me, I love my duo of the HT20 and HT40:thumb:

primo2k

Reaction score
If you want warm sounding pickups I would recommend a Seymour Duncan Custom Custom for the bridge and a SD Alinico Pro II for the neck! I use and or have tried both as well as a lot others from SD. Take a look at my sig for the pickups I am using now.

Cheers primo

Bobby Mahogany

Reaction score
I own a Les Paul Std from '92. I installed a pair of Seymoud Duncan '59s on it and I'm fine with them. I play Classic Rock and Blues.
Go there (see link) and have a listen. It won't tell you everything but it helps.
The Humbuckers tests were made with a Classic LP.
Audio Samples - Seymour Duncan

Latest Threads