pickup opinion

fatdaddypreacher

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
fixing to order some humbuckers and was wondering if anyone has any experience to share with seymour duncan 'seth lover' pups. I have always used stew mac's and have been well pleased with them...as has all who have played my builds, but looking to change up a bit. I don't want a cheapo, but also don't want to overprice, as these are spec builds and i don't want to spend a bunch of money on something i may end up taking out if a customer was to want a guitar and not want the pups. these seem very reasonably prices at apx 130 per pair. any feedback on them or any other suggestions would be appreciated. thanks.

Joe Desperado

Reaction score
I use Antiquities in my Korinas and love them. Seth Lovers have to be in the same camp.

Banastre

Reaction score
Seths in my LP do everything I want them to. I put some stewmac Parsons Street humbuckers in an Epi Sheraton, and the Seths just keep calling me back to play them instead.

jbash

Reaction score
fixing to order some humbuckers and was wondering if anyone has any experience to share with seymour duncan 'seth lover' pups. I have always used stew mac's and have been well pleased with them...as has all who have played my builds, but looking to change up a bit. I don't want a cheapo, but also don't want to overprice, as these are spec builds and i don't want to spend a bunch of money on something i may end up taking out if a customer was to want a guitar and not want the pups. these seem very reasonably prices at apx 130 per pair. any feedback on them or any other suggestions would be appreciated. thanks.
Id love to know where you are getting Seths for $160 a pair so I can buy some. That is what they now cost each at most retailers.

Or is that dealer pricing?

ARandall

Reaction score
Duncans are only ever mid priced.
Both Vineham and Zhangbucker are cheaper than Duncan and have been for a long time.....

But Seths are a well regarded pickup. If someone wants them then they are a good option.

However I wouldn't say they are a 'better' option IMO than going for a custom wound pickup that is also either cheaper or the same price. As generally speaking you do play the lottery with a new build and wondering if the pickups suit. But even then a custom pickup does win out there with the ability to have them tweaked.

fatdaddypreacher

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Id love to know where you are getting Seths for $160 a pair so I can buy some. That is what they now cost each at most retailers.

Or is that dealer pricing? i went to their site and that's what it listed.

fatdaddypreacher

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
i just don't want to put a 'bad' or undesirable pickup in a spec guitar, and at the same time don't want to over invest in some that may not be to a prospective customers taste.

thanks for the feedback

Thundermtn

Reaction score
The Seth Lover is a great sounding p/up. In a Tele it is my favorite neck pickup you can use. Punches WAY above it's cost.

fatdaddypreacher

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
it describes this as a matched set, but it may only be for one....i can't tell, now that it's been questioned. and it's listed for 129. doesn't seem right to me either....that's why i questioned it.

jbash

Reaction score
it describes this as a matched set, but it may only be for one....i can't tell, now that it's been questioned. and it's listed for 129. doesn't seem right to me either....that's why i questioned it.
If you go to the drop down menu below the pricing and choose a "set" and the other options you will see the price rise to $258.00.

That said, though I'm not a big fan of most Duncans, the Seths are one of his very best offerings in the production lineup.

cousingrandpa

Reaction score
That price is for 1 pickup, the set is $258.

dcomiskey

Reaction score
i just don't want to put a 'bad' or undesirable pickup in a spec guitar, and at the same time don't want to over invest in some that may not be to a prospective customers taste.

thanks for the feedback

Given I have never, ever heard a bad word about them, I would never worry about screwing up putting one of these in any axe. Frankly, every opinion I've ever head from people who use them is that they love them.

Latest Threads