Pickup lead wire - What do you do?

Riffster

Reaction score
Question for everybody, when you install pickups do you cut the lead wire length to fit the guitar or do you leave the entire length and stuff it in the guitar.

I understand cutting the lead wire to 3" would hurt the resale value of a pickup but some seem to be all too concerned about the length of the leads on used pickups.

Slater529

Senior Citizen
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Question for everybody, when you install pickups do you cut the lead wire length to fit the guitar or do you leave the entire length and stuff it in the guitar.

I understand cutting the lead wire to 3" would hurt the resale value of a pickup but some seem to be all too concerned about the length of the leads on used pickups.

If I'm testing pickups, I keep the leads long. But once I know the pickups are staying in a given guitar, I cut the leads to fit.

Guitar Rod

Reaction score
I keep them long just in case I want to try something new and sell/trade them.

TheX

Freedom is NOT a safe space
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Never had a reason to cut them

cooljuk

Transducer Producer
Reaction score
I don't see any need to trim them, especially in a Les Paul. This guitar has full length leads (actually a little longer than modern Gibson aftermarket pickups).

20151220145411-4b60853d-xl.jpg

I just fold them back and tuck them into the wire channel. It helps keep things packed nice and firm in there, too. Full length leads and it doesn't get any cleaner looking than that.

Riffster

Reaction score
Thanks for the responses.

On Les Pauls it is easier indeed since there is more room.

I installed a DiMarzio Super Distortion on an SG and the wire is a bit stiff to push back into the channel and there isn't a lot of room in the control cavity.

I ended up trimming the lead a bit and routing the wire in a way that would not get in the way of the toggle switch.

I guess it does depend on the guitar a lot.

kakerlak

Reaction score
Thanks for the responses.

On Les Pauls it is easier indeed since there is more room.

I installed a DiMarzio Super Distortion on an SG and the wire is a bit stiff to push back into the channel and there isn't a lot of room in the control cavity.

I ended up trimming the lead a bit and routing the wire in a way that would not get in the way of the toggle switch.

I guess it does depend on the guitar a lot.

Sometimes you can sneak a coil or two of it into the pickup cavities, provided there's enough room underneath the pickups. When I swapped pickups on my wife's SG recently, I wired it up at the cavity, pulled the pickups upward to take up the slack, then neatly coiled the excess wire down into the pickup routes. As long as the undersides of the pickups aren't bottoming out against the extra wire in there, there's no issue doing it this way.

So What

Reaction score
I trim them so they fit better.

I don't go crazy and cut to the shortest length possible, but I do take a couple of inches off the eliminate having the wire crammed everywhere.

Hedcrash

Reaction score
I leave all of the lead on the pickup and cover the slack with a piece of heatshrink tubing (that I don't heat and shrink). That way I can take the pickup out or use it in another guitar without worrying about the length of lead. As long as it's not grounding out something I figure it doesn't hurt anything. There's already hundreds of feet of wire on the pickup coil.

jamman

Reaction score
I almost never cut them . Problems can come up in the future and you might need an extra 1/2 inch of that wire (enough pup swaps ).... I've had it happen with a used guitar I bought . The pups had no ,and I mean No play/extra wire to reinstall the pups correctly and to be able to "cut-out" a break(at the soldering to the pot end) in the both wires .... the whole guitar was done that way .....PITA .
Which made/forced me to add extensions to the wires from the pups and completely re-wire the guitar .....
Not how I like to buy a guitar .....

Woodekm

Reaction score
I pull just enough wire into the cavity to get to where I want to solder and keep the length.

full

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest Threads