Pickup height for Jimmy Page middle position sound

Nerrad

Reaction score
Im a middle position guy all day, and I have been having trouble with getting a happy medium. Any recommendations getting anything close to that? Maybe a certain pickup height combination? Spare me the stuff about needing to be Jimmy Page, etc etc. And I know he didnt coil tap the bridge until much later after Zep. I sorta had a good middle position sound that I was somewhat happy with at some point, but I switched to the Duncan PAF because I liked that for the bridge sound a lot more, since then its been a battle. Worst case I might have to stick the burst bucker back in.

Ive got the plexi, g12h30's, the whole gamut.

SGeoff

Reaction score
most folks set the bridge pup height where they like the sound, then set the neck pup to match the out put. This is not written in stone anywhere, so you may well come up with a way that works better for you.
There is no magic height.
What height works best on your guitar and your pups will be up to you to find.
course, if you were jimmy page you wouldnt have this problem:D

Coldacre

Reaction score
if you've got the right pickups in, I don't think the height really matters that much. loud amp volume evens it out.

ARandall

Reaction score
The issue about the middle position is that it depends on the neck and bridge pickups cancelling in the right way......and not all pickup combos will actually give you that cluck.
Get the neck setup first so there is some bite to it, then bring up the bridge so its equal volume when switching. You then might need to play about with the heights of both just to get the cluck tuned in. The last step is tweaking the volume pots of either/both pickups.

If you're still not there then its pickups I'm afraid.

Latest Threads