Pickup cover question...

Saiko

Reaction score
Hey guys, I was curious about the pickups on The Ede's 1975 Les Paul Custom he auctioned off last year. I figured this was as good a place as any to ask since it is LEs Paul related. He appears to have gold pickup covers on it that are open instead of covering the pickup. I would like to do something similar to this on my Les Paul but I have no clue if they were a certain type of pickups that came like that or custom-made. If anyone could help me, it would be awesome.

Here is the picture:

Site Builder

2manyGuitars

Reaction score
Here's a quote...

"Over the years Edge has used a few Les Pauls - but it seems one of his most favoured is a Cream Les Paul Custom. Estimates put this as a 1972 model and it's apparently fitted with Dimarzio pickups."

from this website;
Closetotheedge - U2 Guitar Fan site

Saiko

Reaction score
Thanks for the help, but that isn't the same guitar. He had 2 white LP Customs (turned cream over the years). The one in that link is his '72 which has Tulip Grovers and black knobs and standard humbuckers. The one I was referring to is his '75 which has gold knobs and Kidney Bean Grovers or Schallers (depends on the era, now it has Shallers tuners. He still has the other one with the black knobs and normal-looking humbuckers.

dwagar

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
white didn't start till '74 btw.

nakleh

Reaction score
I don't know about the pickups, but last year the photographer I work for had the opportunity to photograph a bunch of guitars from the auction, and the Edge's was one of them.. [we also shot guitars of Jimi Hendrix, Bono, Paul McCartney, and many others..

ac4rd

Reaction score
Jason, I've been impressed by your photography before, and just took time to look at nakleh.com. Wow. You've got amazing chops! The photograph of the woman, the doorway, and the cat, is the sort of photograph I've wished I could create for 25 years now. Stunning work! (Apologies to the others for the off-topic content but Jason's work is superb and deserves a comment.)

dennistruckdriver

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I was curious about the pickups on The Ede's 1975 Les Paul Custom he auctioned off last year. I figured this was as good a place as any to ask since it is LEs Paul related. He appears to have gold pickup covers on it that are open instead of covering the pickup. I would like to do something similar to this on my Les Paul but I have no clue if they were a certain type of pickups that came like that or custom-made. If anyone could help me, it would be awesome.

Here is the picture:

Site Builder
Here is something close: Dream 180 Vintage-Voiced Humbucker Black Pearl Gold

nakleh

Reaction score
Jason, I've been impressed by your photography before, and just took time to look at nakleh.com. Wow. You've got amazing chops! The photograph of the woman, the doorway, and the cat, is the sort of photograph I've wished I could create for 25 years now. Stunning work! (Apologies to the others for the off-topic content but Jason's work is superb and deserves a comment.)
Hey, thanks so much!! Very nice of you to say..

The pic of the woman and the cat, that's my wife- it was shot in Croatia while we were on our honeymoon- we were in this botanical garden, and found this abandoned building.. the setting was perfect, the light was perfect- then the cat rolled in. I told my wife not to move, and I quickly snapped a few shots- one of them being this one.

It's one of my favorite photos I've taken- so thanks for noticing!

Saiko

Reaction score
Hey guys, I actually found them. They are open-top pickup covers that Schaller makes and are not part of the pickups. Haven't found a U.S. distributor but I can order them from the UK. Thanks for your help everyone! Awesome pics by the way nakleh, love 'em!

Latest Threads