Pickup consistency from unit to unit

Rocco Crocco

Reaction score
Does anyone have any experience regarding mass-produced pickups sounding different from one another? I am trying to figure out why the DiMarzio Norton I installed in my Les Paul sounds awful (wayyyy too much bass) and the same model DiMarzio Norton I have in another Les Paul sounds like angels singing.

I have had the same experience with several other Duncans and DiMarzios.

I get that different guitars sound different, but I am wondering if there is some inconsistency issues with the pickups happening as well.

ARandall

Reaction score
Yep, you've got 2 guitars each made with 10 bits of unique wood and your first thought is that the pickup is the inconsistent aspect........

nomadh

Reaction score
Even cheap pickups can be pretty consistent. Got a pair of GM firebird pickups to replace some hated ones in a Washburn ps10 firebird(ish). And damned if they werent nearly identical. 1 was a little less microphonic but they all had that same horrible brittle shitty tone. I dont have proof the guitar came with those same pickups........ but it did.

cooljuk

Transducer Producer
Reaction score
Some mass produced pickups are consistent, others are not.

Gibson 57 Classics and Burstbuckers basically all sound the same from one to the next from any time.

Custombuckers can sound like completely different pickups from thin and weak to full and dark, just depending on...?? Stuff?

Same company. Same materials. Same machines. What's the difference? Stuff.

I'm talking in the same guitar, shown both with ears and via measurement instruments, and MUCH more than a handful of examples.

Antigua

Reaction score
IME, the cheapest pickups are the most consistent, probably as a result of being mass produced. It's especially easy to observe in Strat sets, where you often get three pickups that are spec'd identically, but then they either are identical, or they aren't.

freefrog

Reaction score
Does anyone have any experience regarding mass-produced pickups sounding different from one another? I am trying to figure out why the DiMarzio Norton I installed in my Les Paul sounds awful (wayyyy too much bass) and the same model DiMarzio Norton I have in another Les Paul sounds like angels singing.

I have had the same experience with several other Duncans and DiMarzios.

I get that different guitars sound different, but I am wondering if there is some inconsistency issues with the pickups happening as well.
Yes, I've noticed the same thing than you with the same kind of PU's, as soon as they are from different eras.

Out of the "stuff" parameter mentioned by cooljuk, some recipes are "subject to change without notice". IME, a Duncan SH1 or a DiMarzio DP103 built recently differ internally from the "same" models made 40 years ago, for example. No wonder if they sound different.

Latest Threads