Pickup Comparison - Wizz PAF vs ReWind vs Doyle Coils vs CustomBuckers vs Righteous Sound

Which did you prefer in the video?

• Wizz

Votes: 5 20.8%
  • ReWind Electric

Votes: 2 8.3%
  • Righteous Sound

Votes: 2 8.3%
  • Doyle Coils

Votes: 9 37.5%
  • Stock Custombuckers

Votes: 6 25.0%

• Total voters

yeatzee

Reaction score
I think most of you saw my first video I posted on here where I compared the stock custom buckers to the righteous sound RAF's. Well that original video + your comments sent me down the rabbit hole and I ended up collecting 3 additional sets to compare making for 5 total. Same as the last video, they are all compared side by side with no gap in playing so you can hear the differences directly. Ran through a bunch of different base tones to give some variety like before.

Let me know what you think this time around, and what your favorites were!

monty john

Reaction score
great review...surprisingly the gibson's sound pretty good...the WIZZ sounded darker somewhat compressed? my least favo ... t tops had slighly more mids and jangle..the expensive ones did sound the best...crap LOL

Rezamatix

Reaction score
1. amazing video. you rule for doing this exactly like it should have been done.
2. the prices on these pickups are fucking idiotic and these people who charge this much need to be flogged publicly.
3. the custom buckers were the best to my ear, although nothing this low output would ever last in my guitars.

cooljuk

Transducer Producer
Premium Member
Reaction score
I think most of you saw my first video I posted on here where I compared the stock custom buckers to the righteous sound RAF's. Well that original video + your comments sent me down the rabbit hole and I ended up collecting 3 additional sets to compare making for 5 total. Same as the last video, they are all compared side by side with no gap in playing so you can hear the differences directly. Ran through a bunch of different base tones to give some variety like before.

Let me know what you think this time around, and what your favorites were!
Great job on the video!

Though I might be inclined to vote for myself (ReWind), I'd also have no problem voting for Wizz, as they were punchy and tight.

MCT

Reaction score
Fantastic job, man. Great sound, great editing, all around professional job...unlike my rinky-dink iPhone clips.

One thing I’ve noticed while listening back to my own videos is that (not shockingly) video recordings don’t always capture the full in-the-room experience for a given pickup set. Did you feel that there was anything significant that didn’t quite make it onto film? Based on these clips, I’m partial to the Doyle’s, Rewinds, and Wizz’s...but again, curious if there’s a missing dimension anywhere.

jbash

Reaction score
Well, as I said previously I own a set of James' T-Tops. But in this shootout and going for more of a PAF tone I'd probably just keep the CustomBuckers. I 've always liked the CBs and BBs for that little added aggression/raunch. They may not be "cool" or the flavor of the month, but I dig them.

Of the rest, I preferred the Doyle Coils by a wide margin- most likely because the covers were off so they sounded the biggest, fullest, clearest. Loved both positions.

WIZZ bridge pickup was great, but didn't care for the neck pickup at all (EDIT- when gained up/volume up- it was OK with the volume rolled off)

RAFs- sounded OK, this vid wouldn't make me lust after them, but a solid set.

All that said- sit me in the room with you while you are recording and I might completely change my mind- recordings and in person = 2 different things. I can't tell you how much gear I bought based off a demo and absolutely hated it when I heard it on person.

Now that I said THAT- Kudos for a very well done demo and playing!

Last edited:

monty john

Reaction score
Well, as I said previously I own a set of James' T-Tops. But in this shootout and going for more of a PAF tone I'd probably just keep the CustomBuckers. I 've always liked the CBs and BBs for that little added aggression/raunch. They may not be "cool" or the flavor of the month, but I dig them.

Of the rest, I preferred the Doyle Coils by a wide margin- most likely because the covers were off so they sounded the biggest, fullest, clearest. Loved both positions.

WIZZ bridge pickup was great, but didn't care for the neck pickup at all (EDIT- when gained up/volume up- it was OK with the volume rolled off)

RAFs- sounded OK, this vid wouldn't make me lust after them, but a solid set.

All that said- sit me in the room with you while you are recording and I might completely change my mind- recordings and in person = 2 different things. I can't tell you how much gear I bought based off a demo and absolutely hated it when I heard it on person.

Now that I said THAT- Kudos for a very well done demo and playing!
yes I voted Doyle.....just shocked that the gibson's held up so well....Wizz were dark didn't care for that..the rest all sounded very good but sheeeesh expensive

Sp8ctre

Reaction score
I think those Custom Buckers hold up just fine against all the rest and I don't have to spend more money or mod my guitar.

cybermgk

Singin' the body lectric
Premium Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
With that guitar and

that Suhr, My rank
1. Doyle Coils
2. Rightous Sounds
3. Gibson CustomBuckers
4. Rewind
5. Wizz

Two Rock JM
1. Doyle Coil
2. Wizz
Custom Buckers
3. Rewind
4. Rightous

Mesa Tweed
1. Wizz
Doyles Coils
3. Custom Buckers
4 Rewind
5. Rightous

AC15
1. Rightouss
2. Doyles
3. Rewind
4. Wizz
5. Custom Buckers

Princeton
1. Rightous
2. Rewind
3. Custom
4. Doyles
Wizz

Matchless
1. Doyles
2. Rewind
3 Custom Buckers
Rightous
5. Wizz

Tweed Super
1. Doyles
2. Rewind
3. Custom Bucker
Wizz
4. Roghtous

Wizz scored low for me, when it did, mostly bcause I just didn't like the Neck pickup on many of those amps. Maybe it wasn't adjusted right for that brand. It was to dark and muddled too often. But it's Bridge, often was one of the better I liked. The Gibson's to my ears were good, but often lacked a little sparkle, or string clarity here and there. Doyles Coils consistantly ranked near the top, except for that tiny Princeton sample. I typically heard more complexity, ad top end and sparkle (that wasn't brittle) with them. The Rewinds were one of the better on some amps, not so much on others. When they weren't they sounded brittle or 2D (or both). Rightous had that problem as well, but add a little muddiness to that list when they were near the bottom.

Not knowing HOW you did this (as in all amps with a pup set, then switch pups) differences could be just in pup and pole height adjustments. In reality, I think with the proper setup in that regard, and EQ on the amp, they could all sound pretty great.

Still prefer my Limited Ed SD Joe Bonamassa Skinner Burst over All of them :naughty:

Last edited:

VictorB

Formerly LZF
Super Mod
Reaction score
I wonder who is doing the winding for Doyle’s Coils? As far as I know, he’s the only one on the list that doesn’t personally wind his pickups. I don’t know too much about Righteous Sound.

jbash

Reaction score
Wizz scored low for me, when it did, mostly bcause I just didn't like the Neck pickup on many of those amps. Maybe it wasn't adjusted right for that brand. It was to dark and muddled too often. But it's Bridge, often was one of the better I liked.
+1. This is what I was trying to say re: the Wizz. Thanks for doing a better job :)

As a general comment, I'll say this much- though I'm not in the market for booteek pickups right now, if and when I am, Doyle Coils just shot to the top of my short list.

NotScott

Reaction score
I wonder who is doing the winding for Doyle’s Coils? As far as I know, he’s the only one on the list that doesn’t personally wind his pickups. I don’t know too much about Righteous Sound.
Tom doesn't wind them himself? Back when he used to work on all of my guitars, when he wasn't playing or hanging out with Les Paul, he was building his own guitars from scratch and winding his own pickups. I remember he had a poster ad of his latest humbucker pickup design hanging on the door to his shop, and this was going back to 1983 or so. The man has been at this professionally for longer than most of the newer winders have been alive.

VictorB

Formerly LZF
Super Mod
Reaction score
Tom doesn't wind them himself? Back when he used to work on all of my guitars, when he wasn't playing or hanging out with Les Paul, he was building his own guitars from scratch and winding his own pickups. I remember he had a poster ad of his latest humbucker pickup design hanging on the door to his shop, and this was going back to 1983 or so. The man has been at this professionally for longer than most of the newer winders have been alive.
Well, his website says they’re wound in Florida, and then sent to California, and then mailed to the customer. Usually if someone winds their own stuff, they wind it and ship it. Seems unlikely as they go clear across the country before going to the customer.

9D429468-53EE-4177-B598-DEAB04EE2738.jpeg

NotScott

Reaction score
Well, his website says they’re wound in Florida, and then sent to California, and then mailed to the customer. Usually if someone winds their own stuff, they wind it and ship it. Seems unlikely as they go clear across the country before going to the customer.

View attachment 480206
That is interesting and good to know. Thanks. I wonder who he is working with in Florida? He probably has a recipe and has someone wind to his recipe. I know he is getting older. Even when he worked on my stuff, he always had a guy or two around the shop taking care of distinct tasks for him. The guy has always been busy.

VictorB

Formerly LZF
Super Mod
Reaction score
That is interesting and good to know. Thanks. I wonder who he is working with in Florida? He probably has a recipe and has someone wind to his recipe. I know he is getting older. Even when he worked on my stuff, he always had a guy or two around the shop taking care of distinct tasks for him. The guy has always been busy.
Well, when he started out, I had to ban him from here, for general nastiness, and the fact that he was using two accounts...

He also blatantly stole MSSC’s trademarked Holy Grail name for his harnesses, and took Matt’s photos AND wiring diagram directly off of the MSSC website and uses them openly.

That’s enough red flags for me, lol! He may have been a nice guy when you knew him, but stuff like that speaks volumes about someone’s character. I don’t care if those pickups are head and shoulders above the rest, I can’t give a guy like that a penny.

Anyway, back on topic.

MATTM

MSSCGuitarWiring.com
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
All are fine sounding pickups, but none of them made me want to go buy a set. Truth be told I thought the CustomBuckers sounded best.

Props to the OP for taking the time to do an outstanding video.

MCT

Reaction score
All are fine sounding pickups, but none of them made me want to go buy a set. Truth be told I thought the CustomBuckers sounded best.

Props to the OP for taking the time to do an outstanding video.
Your comment about none of them making you want to go out and buy a set actually brought up an interesting question for me. When I hear a pickup demo, I sort of subconsciously have to try to subtract the colorations are coming from signal components other than the pickups- mainly the amp and pedals. I have to hone in what the pickups actually sound like and transpose it to what I imagine it would sound like on my rig.

Bottom line- I’ve often gone off and bought pickups after viewing seemingly mediocre demo vids because my brain hears something that I think would work well in my setup. I’ve had some misses this way, but I’ve had way more wins.

Does anyone else do this or am I nuts?

(Also PS- not trying to call this demo mediocre- I expressed my praises above).

MATTM

MSSCGuitarWiring.com
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Your comment about none of them making you want to go out and buy a set actually brought up an interesting question for me. When I hear a pickup demo, I sort of subconsciously have to try to subtract the colorations are coming from signal components other than the pickups- mainly the amp and pedals. I have to hone in what the pickups actually sound like and transpose it to what I imagine it would sound like on my rig.

Bottom line- I’ve often gone off and bought pickups after viewing seemingly mediocre demo vids because my brain hears something that I think would work well in my setup. I’ve had some misses this way, but I’ve had way more wins.

Does anyone else do this or am I nuts?

(Also PS- not trying to call this demo mediocre- I expressed my praises above).
Not nuts at all. You make a really good point and articulated that very nicely :)

Latest Threads