Pickup Characteristic ??

ezra1

Reaction score
So I was watching the Doug & Pat Show. And several sets of pickups demoed would catch my ear.
Like on the neck pickup even on lower volume the note would catch and resonate/ sustain and really ring out
Not feedback but similar in that the note would catch and sing.
What would be the proper term for that ?
The pickups were Ornamac Windery Top Shelf with Alnico 2 magnets and Geppetto Nomads.
Also the Amber Spirit of 59 was tasty.
I got to get some of those .
But what is the proper term to describe that ?

ezra1

Reaction score
I understand. I have a set of WCR Darkburst is one Les Paul that it is killer.
Then another set in another Les Paul and it is just ok.
Alrighty.....we are going with bloom.

Antigua

Reaction score
So I was watching the Doug & Pat Show. And several sets of pickups demoed would catch my ear.
Like on the neck pickup even on lower volume the note would catch and resonate/ sustain and really ring out
If you can find a clip of it happening, that would help identify it. There are a lot of reasons a particular note can sustain for a lot longer than the others. One reason could be feedback, the sound from the amp is loud enough to induce vibtration back into the string. The stiffness of a guitar is somewhat frequency dependent, it might not damp as much as that particular frequency. Or he might have just plucked one particular string more sharply than the others. The only reason I can think of why a particular pickup would be involved is if the resonant peak of the pickup bumps up the mids, and increases feedback in the midrange.

freefrog

Reaction score
Be aware, this is as much in the match of instrument and pickup. A badly wrong match makes every note fall dead.
+1.

The pickups were Ornamac Windery Top Shelf with Alnico 2 magnets and Geppetto Nomads.
Also the Amber Spirit of 59 was tasty.
I got to get some of those .
But what is the proper term to describe that ?
Is it not harmonic feedback?

"Like that" (as Doug says @ 17:59), from 17:40 ?

Even at low volumes, I routinedly obtain this kind of resonance from unpotted HB's in a LP through a Marshall. But anything with the same kind of gain structure does the trick as well - Examples: a treble booster before an OCD pedal... Or even some vintage speced Tri-Sonic's feeding a treble booster in a Vox AC (I've played recently several iterations of a Queen tribute concert with such a rig and it produced exactly the same morphing sustain, extremely satisfying to play with).

Footnote: please, no argument about "unpotted pickups making no difference"... That's not the subject here.

Last edited:

freefrog

Reaction score
Keep in mind he is playing straight in through a cranked amp......
The VOX AC10 STR so often used by Doug deserves to be considered: like the normal channel of an AC15, it has a "tone cut" as only tone control... but this tone cut is tuned by a cap cutting more high freq than in a vintage AC15 of the same era . There's also a relatively low value coupling cap before the phase inverter, if memory serves me. Hence the tight bass and enhanced mids when the amp is cranked, in my understanding. That's why I've mentioned a treble booster to approximate this gain structure: not for the boost but because TB's actually tighten the bass and boost the mids more than the high range... while Marshall circuits often tend to do the same without the help of a treble boost.

All of this favors harmonic feedback IMO/IME.

FWIW - just thinking out loud and sharing it. :)

rogue3

Reaction score
.. The only reason I can think of why a particular pickup would be involved is if the resonant peak of the pickup bumps up the mids, and increases feedback in the midrange.
interesting.thinking out loud,i've often wondered if the type of magnet used can either accentuate the attack,sharper, slightly diminishing apparent subsequent decay(A5,for instance?)....or softer attack,with bloom(A2)?.I've read magnets could help with this.Combined with an excellent body and neck,a winning combination for bloomers,lol!
i have no practical knowledge on this(magnet swapping).just what i've read. :hmm: The acquired expertise by pup gurus out there is huge.

Last edited:

Antigua

Reaction score
interesting.thinking out loud,i've often wondered if the type of magnet used can either accentuate the attack,sharper, slightly diminishing apparent subsequent decay(A5,for instance?)....or softer attack,with bloom(A2)?.I've read magnets could help with this.Combined with an excellent body and neck,a winning combination for bloomers,lol!
i have no practical knowledge on this(magnet swapping).just what i've read. :hmm: The acquired expertise by pup gurus out there is huge.
Magnetic strength makes a difference, because the magnetic field attracts the guitar strings, and that changes the way they move. Raising an lowering the pickups also changes the amount of attraction between the pickups and the strings. AlNiCo 2 and 3 cause less string pull than AlNiCo 5 or ceramic if the pickups are set the same distance from the strings. DiMarzio "air buckers" claim to sound like AlNiCo 2, but use AlNiCo 5, and all they do is add air gap between the magnet and the pole pieces, which is not unlike adding air gap between the pickup and the strings.

ezra1

Reaction score
I ordered a Geppetto Nomads set and it will be here June 1.
I am putting it in a 335.

Latest Threads