Pickup Cavity Route

DobieG

Reaction score
I am new to the forum and would like to introduce myself. I have been reading for several months and started my Les Paul Standard build in June.

I have completed the body with the exception of routing the pickup cavities and carving the top. I am not 100% sure on the depth of the pickup cavities nor the legs(posts) for the pickups themselves. I believe that the deeper route for the legs is done by a mortus drill jig and the rest by a router.

Can anyone confirm this for me and verify the depth for the cavities? I would greatly appreciate the help.

Thanks in advance,

VR
DobieG
P.S. I will be posting some pics on the build soon.

bfcg

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum.

Bridge PU cavity legs: 1.384" deep
Bridge PU cavity depth: Angled from 1.015-.971(bridge side deepest)

Neck PU cavity legs: 1.463" deep
Neck PU cavity depth: 1.097

You can thank John Catto for the measurements.

beuford23

Reaction score
Is the angle in the bridge cavity a result of the pup plane? I am assuming that the pup's are routed first before the plane angle is routed and that would lead to the "angle". My previous 2 guitars I had built had neck angles but no plane, hence my question added.

DobieG

Reaction score
That is a great question whether to route the plane first and then the cavity.

I think I should do the plane first, but I am really not sure how? I routed the joint for the tendon with no problem. I used a jig at a 4.4. degree angle and it turned out fine.

I am assuming the same method would work with a 1.5 degree pickup plane angle just measure the start/stop points so it will work out. I am a little shaky on the depth for the router but the angle stuff is easy to work out via a jig.

If anyone knows the best method I would like to hear from you'all.

Thanks,
SF
DobieG

jtmullet

Reaction score
If I'm not mistaken the angle of the pickup cavities should be the same as the the neck tennon because in the old days they would carve the top then mount a angled template on the bottom of the body to use with a pin router and do all the top routes at once.

shanestyle

Reaction score
bfcg,

Thanks for the numbers. Based on your measurements, I assume the StewMac plans are way off?

Why would the SM plan say the bridge pickup cavity is 13/16" deep and only 1/4" at the posts? That is so confusing...

Latest Threads