Pickguard screw goes right into the binding?

Dirtyclinic

Reaction score
I am going to add the pickguard to my guitar. It appears the screw goes right into the binding. I am super nervous about taking a drill to my guitar and putting it into the binding. Anyone else do this and it not turn out okay? The screw looks like it could somehow separate the binding from the body, it is kind of on that seam.

Reactions: Who

1all's Pub

Reaction score
Yeah that’s just how most of them happen to get drilled at the factory it seems. That said, nothing wrong with moving it down just a tad to go into just the wood only. That’s what I’d do (and did when I added a pickguard to an R8 I used to have).

PierM

Premium Member
Reaction score
Typically bracket screw goes between binding and wood. Don’t be nervous, just be sure you are drilling the right coordinates...

Roxy13

Reaction score
Yeah that’s just how most of them happen to get drilled at the factory it seems. That said, nothing wrong with moving it down just a tad to go into just the wood only. That’s what I’d do (and did when I added a pickguard to an R8 I used to have).
This is what I did on an unfinished Tokai husk I bought. The pg on that one might be sitting a hair low though. It's also the only guitar I've ever put tall rings on too though, so that skews my perception.

Latearrival

Reaction score
Never had to do it (my Trad came with the guard attached) - but I would be inclined to hold the pick-guard in position - maybe with something behind it to stop the end of the nut and bolt holding the bracket to the guard from scratching the top, mark the hole with a pen, then drill small pilot holes before putting the screws in. I would be wary of moving the bracket below the binding because a) that bolt I mentioned may contact the top and b) the pick-guard may sit at the wrong angle on the top, and compromise its primary function as a finger-rest!

Dogbreath

Reaction score
I’ve done several. Make sure that the part of the bracket that is screwed to the side of the guitar is squared up to the wood. The hole is drilled About 1/16” below the binding. Too much chance or cracking the binding of you go through it. I’ve owned five LP’s with guards installed at the factory. On mine that’s where Gibson put the screw.

AlanBiker

Reaction score
On the left is my 2018 335 with black binding and on the right is my 2016 Trad. The screw is just below centre of the binding in both cases as fitted at the factory. One at Memphis and the other at Nashville.
PB080041 copy.jpg
PB080041 copy.jpg
PB080041 copy.jpg

Alan

AlanBiker

Reaction score
Oops sorry about the triple image, no idea what happened there:wtf:

Alan

Dogbreath

Reaction score
TB
On the left is my 2018 335 with black binding and on the right is my 2016 Trad. The screw is just below centre of the binding in both cases as fitted at the factory. One at Memphis and the other at Nashville.
Alan
That’s interesting. Not like the ones I’ve owned. Either my memory is failing or mine have all been Chibsons. I think my memory is the problem.

Dogbreath

Reaction score
To the OP: After looking at several Custom Shop LP's at Wildwood Guitars site as well as some original 50's LP's on Reverb you need to look at their examples before drilling any holes. You really don't want to mess this up.

Frozen Rat

Premium Member
Reaction score
I'd leave the pick guard off. I like how they look naked. I prefer most things naked: guitars, ribs, [insert ribald joke here].

ARandall

Reaction score
Looked at my 70's and 80's Les Pauls and they're both in the binding too.

If you've used a drill any more than once or twice, then you'd have the confidence/experience to know

1. a sharp bit will go straight through the plastic no issue
2. A small bit like that won't have the rotational torque to separate binding which is glued on.
3. A light tap with a hammer on the drillbit located where you want the hole to be makes a starter indentation so the bit doesn't wander during drilling
4. the fractions of difference we are talking about probably is of no consequence. The way Gibsons are with a guard pre-fitted is not like a precision watch anyhow.....you'll get variability even with a skilled craftsman on a time poor assembly line.

If you have put the top screw in first, then you can see how the guard will operate and tweak it here or there to suit.
But super nervous sounds like you are not the ideal type to be doing the job in the first place. Might be one to give to someone whose daily job involves tool use.

moreles

Reaction score
Sorry to say, I think that's how these afterthought/poor design/add-on pickguards get mounted. Since I think they're both ugly and unnecessary, I'll never face the problem of having to decide if damaging my guitar by doing the "correct" installation of an OEM part makes any sense. It's absurd that the hole falls in this spot. But it does. Ditto for the screw into the top.

PierM

Premium Member
Reaction score
He didnt ask if you like or not a pickguard, jebus.

@Dirtyclinic Do not overthink this. Just drill in the middle (with the thinner drill bit that you have, that’s just a pilot hole), or just under the binding, thank me later. :thumb:

MSB

Reaction score
most of mine look to be right on the line between binding and wood, or a little more to the binding side.

its a molehill, not a mountain

Who

I'm back. Back in the New York groove.
Reaction score

Google "Gibson screwless pickguard"