Pickguard on or off?

What do you prefer?

• Total voters

Gahr

Reaction score
I know people have differing views on what looks best on a Lester when it comes to leaving the pickguard on or pulling it off. I'm kind of in two minds about it. Generally I prefer the pickguard off on bursts, but when it comes to goldtops I have a tendency to prefer the guitars with the guard left on.

But being easily influenced by my heroes, I have lately kind of taken to Duane Allman's pickguardless goldtop. So the question is: Do I leave the pickguard on or do I pull it off?

Last edited:

Gahr

Reaction score
This is like that bit in the Hitchhikers guide to the galaxy.....where the bowl of petunias says
'Oh no, not again'.

Its your guitar......surely you can figure out for yourself what you like best.
Of course, but I still find it interesting to hear what others have to say.

ARandall

Reaction score
In summary....you will have 4 results, most probably citing the same justification for all 4:

On
Off
Don't care
Undecided.

Mockbel

Reaction score
@ARandall
We love here to ask questions that we knew their answers !!
So don't let the guy down and just tell us what would you choose if you are in his situation !

Gahr

Reaction score
@ARandall
We love here to ask questions that we knew their answers !!
So don't let the guy down and just tell us what would you choose if you are in his situation !
I have no problem with his comments, but thanks anyway.

I know this is a subject that has been discussed countless times, but I still find it interesting to see what people think in regards to my own goldtop.

AlanBiker

Reaction score
Yessir. I'm in the once-on-it-stays-on camp because of the hole. (A proper Les Paul has a pick guard and chip at all times anyway...) :io:
Why not put the screws back in after removing the guard? - not ideal but better than leaving a hole.
I like the protection of a pickguard but not the looks so this is mine,

P2170010.JPG

Now looking for a transparent bracket!

Alan

fix6661

Reaction score
No pickguard is my choice. And I see no problem having a hole drilled.
But I guess if you cannot decide now, try both ways! For example, I never put a pickguard on my LPs, but a year ago I decided to try it for a couple of months. Eventually I took it off.

Prometheus

Reaction score
In this case, on

I admit I've been on camp for a long time, but I felt that my silverburst looked far better off, so now I'm more on the fence

I come to realize that when PG offers some kinda of contrast to the body color, it looks better on

Altho, I would prefer a pg without inscription

Gahr

Reaction score
In this case, on

I admit I've been on camp for a long time, but I felt that my silverburst looked far better off, so now I'm more on the fence

I come to realize that when PG offers some kinda of contrast to the body color, it looks better on

Altho, I would prefer a pg without inscription
I feel the same regarding the inscription. If I could fing a cream pickguard with the exact same color (matching the pickup rings, binding etc.), I’d buy it.