Pickguard Bracket Screw Scratched My Les Paul's Body

MSB

Reaction score
"And my avatar pic guitar has a screw cut off clean with the nut and still touches with enough pressure"
if the length of the screw didn't matter, why would I cut it off as close as possible?

Reactions: Who

Pete M

Reaction score
I dropped a hot soldering iron on the last 3 guitars I “built”...
Each has a burn on the back or front...
#Skills

-Chris
Same. I can't get through a build without f-ing something up. That's why I'm an amateur builder at best. :applause:

MSB

Reaction score
It’s over, go home. Enjoy your nuts.
its a flawed design, you yourself have to bend the bracket so things don't touch, I bet they still will if you get heavy handed. Gibson drills two holes in the guitar to have the screw/nut hit the finish anyways and mess up the top. I'd say at least every few months somebody posts about this exact problem. So, yes, If I was Gibson I'd leave it off, because that's just something less to do, and some people don't want it, which they've even acknowledged by leaving them in the case sometimes. Two birds one stone, i embrace the nuts

Moni

Banned
Reaction score
its a flawed design, you yourself have to bend the bracket so things don't touch, I bet they still will if you get heavy handed. Gibson drills two holes in the guitar to have the screw/nut hit the finish anyways and mess up the top. I'd say at least every few months somebody posts about this exact problem. So, yes, If I was Gibson I'd leave it off, because that's just something less to do, and some people don't want it, which they've even acknowledged by leaving them in the case sometimes. Two birds one stone, i embrace the nuts
1569844454588.gif

Moni

Banned
Reaction score
In a fit of irony Gibson designed a pick guard that prevented this issue and the Gibson fans bitched and griped that they changed something.

uhh, yeah they did and yes the fans did gripe. This is my GOLD top and that pick guard snaps in to the pickup rings and has a rubber cushion under the screw.

E7E8780A-3A85-48DA-BC32-DB469202B3A1.jpeg

F106A58A-E77D-4455-962C-73CF03549E82.jpeg

MSB

Reaction score
if Gibson made those in a plethora (historic height rings, black rings, etc) they could rack up. I've had two, but I don't care for them either. if they make them out of anything like their rings in 20 years those tabs will be like an 90 year old's bones, brittle AF. and since you can hardly find them now, imagine what time will do to availability.

Moni

Banned
Reaction score
if Gibson made those in a plethora (historic height rings, black rings, etc) they could rack up. I've had two, but I don't care for them either. if they make them out of anything like their rings in 20 years those tabs will be like an 90 year old's bones, brittle AF. and since you can hardly find them now, imagine what time will do to availability.
You have a very negative personality. Maybe a Gibson with this rare short lived feature will be worth $100,000 in 50 years.

It came with a gold plated uninstalled metal pick guard. I won’t drill holes to install it. It’s one of only 150 made.

443AFEEC-24BC-4B2E-8654-389CEE463204.jpeg

mudface

Non-Deadbeat/Non-Prominent
Double Platinum Supporter
Premium Member
Reaction score
You have a very negative personality. Maybe a Gibson with this rare short lived feature will be worth $100,000 in 50 years.

It came with a gold plated uninstalled metal pick guard. I won’t drill holes to install it. It’s one of only 150 made.

View attachment 410417
The "Fort Knox" LPC,.... love those...... very nice...... @Christosterone will love this too.

Slashperryburst

Reaction score

View attachment 410417
Moni, perhaps you already posted it and I missed it, but I'd love to see some shots of your whole collection. I've seen you post guitars here and there, and it seems like you have a really interesting collection.

MSB

Reaction score
maybe, i just get frustrated when you see the same thing over and over again. But the guitar you posted, it came with both pick guards? And the gold rings have the holes for the black one to clip into? Are the rings metal or just gold plated plastic?

Moni

Banned
Reaction score
maybe, i just get frustrated when you see the same thing over and over again. But the guitar you posted, it came with both pick guards? And the gold rings have the holes for the black one to clip into? Are the rings metal or just gold plated plastic?
Yes, it came with both pick guards. Here is a webpage saved from the old Gibson website. It has several pictures of this guitar and you can see that they are black plastic pick up rings with metal gold plated top inserts.

The best feature of this guitar actually is that the frets are also gold and they’re cryogenically treated. The frets are unlike any other frets I have or I have ever had. Very cool!

When I get home later I’ll take close up pictures of mine.

And here is a pretty terrible sounding video by musicians friend LOL usually he does better videos than this.

Reactions: MSB

MSB

Reaction score
Yes, it came with both pick guards. Here is a webpage saved from the old Gibson website. It has several pictures of this guitar and you can see that they are black plastic pick up rings with metal gold plated top inserts.

The best feature of this guitar actually is that the frets are also gold and they’re cryogenically treated. The frets are unlike any other frets I have or I have ever had. Very cool!

When I get home later I’ll take close up pictures of mine.

And here is a pretty terrible sounding video by musicians friend LOL usually he does better videos than this.

i can't believe they don't put a pic up of the back plates blinged out. Like you said, some of those parts will bring stupid money one day (starting today). I've sold a few of the cream rings/PG and was surprised what people would pay for them. With your gold rings... a really really nice steak dinner and a few bottles

but that model is a great example of Gibson realizing that not everyone wants a PG or switch washer.

scozz

Reaction score
I very slightly bend the top tab L shaped bracket so it raises up a bit and it prevents this issue in the rare occurrence this even happens. I did it on this Historic recently as the pick guard sat on the guitar lower than normal from the factory.

You can see on the bridge pickup ring it sits about where it should be, before it sat almost flush on the guitar which was why the guard screw was touching the finish, Fortunately I fixed this before it chomped into the finish.

View attachment 409174View attachment 409175View attachment 409176
That's a gorgeous LP moni,....is that a Caramel Burst?

scozz

Reaction score
I don't understand drilling holes to achieve the awkward fit of a piece of plastic that doesn't follow the form of the guitar, in order to guard against pick marks that will never happen on a dished body,
This is so true, I've got one LP without a pickguard, I've owned it for 13 years. In the first few years I checked it periodically for pick or fingernail scratches where a PG would normally be. No scratches at all,....because of the carved top.

Mg SG has scratches all over that same area,...flat top.