Pickguard Bracket Screw Scratched My Les Paul's Body

MSB

Reaction score
I dropped a hot soldering iron on the last 3 guitars I “built”...
Each has a burn on the back or front...
#Skills

-Chris
you know wood burning is a pretty BA skill? Not his best work, but the closest thing I could get my hands on. Since you don't seem like the selling type, maybe you could turn the burns artistic somehow?

moreles

Reaction score
Wood > plastic. I don't understand drilling holes to achieve the awkward fit of a piece of plastic that doesn't follow the form of the guitar, in order to guard against pick marks that will never happen on a dished body, but if you like a PG, scratches are part of the deal.

dteverhart

Reaction score
drill two holes, but worry about a mark on the finish?

should have left it off.
Change of subject, but the Les Paul in your avatar picture is a real beauyt from what I can see. Is the Red/Cherry solid, burst, sparkle, or translucent?
I have an Epi translucent cherry burst that’d I’d love to see on a Gibson. The burst on my Epi is so subtle it doesn't really show in photos but here she is. Is there a thread I can see your guitar up close?

MSB

Reaction score
Change of subject, but the Les Paul in your avatar picture is a real beauyt from what I can see. Is the Red/Cherry solid, burst, sparkle, or translucent?
I have an Epi translucent cherry burst that’d I’d love to see on a Gibson. The burst on my Epi is so subtle it doesn't really show in photos but here she is. Is there a thread I can see your guitar up close?
‘87 Ferrari red, solid, no sparkle, fully painted. Not as cool as CAR, but as a NC State alum, it’s close enough for Tuffy. Pm me your email and I’ll shoot some over, id post here, but they’re too big since the update and I want to baby punch somebody every time I mess with them

Tinpan

Reaction score
I can attest to that - I am one of those uncouth rebels with no decency or taste! :cheers2:
Welcome.

Since (as we know) Les Pauls are only truly beautiful with the pickguard on, you needn’t worry about this at all.

It’s like worrying what it looks like under the pickup rings. Since the audience will never see under there.... who cares?

Same with the pickguard. Leave it on. All properly attired Les Pauls have the pickguard on. Pickguard off is for uncouth rebels who have no decency or taste.

Moni

Banned
Reaction score
Not mentioned often enough in this thread is that Gibson shouldn't send guitars out with that nut scratching the guitar because it's easily preventable right on the test bench. I mean that's what they're testing right? Is it a test bench for inspection or is it an intonation and action "setup" bench prior to shipping?

Shouldn't they do both, check the playability and inspect the guitar for these things?

Moni

Banned
Reaction score
Cheers to the uncouth and "nekkid" ones :applause::cheers2:

My Les Pauls are only "nekkid" if they came that way factory which I do have a couple. I prefer a pick guard just for the nostalgia look but they look good without also.

I'm shipping this guitar out tomorrow morning, it's a Zelinsky Strettavita I sold. This guitar would look awful with a pick guard on it. So I see the logic yes ....

V7Xa-Vlr.jpg-large.jpeg

MSB

Reaction score
Not mentioned often enough in this thread is that Gibson shouldn't send guitars out with that nut scratching the guitar because it's easily preventable right on the test bench. I mean that's what they're testing right? Is it a test bench for inspection or is it an intonation and action "setup" bench prior to shipping?

Shouldn't they do both, check the playability and inspect the guitar for these things?

i want to agree, but I really can't think of a single LP with a factory installed PG that didn't have a dimple. And IME, its a longer screw than necessary that does the damage, not the nut. And my avatar pic guitar has a screw cut off clean with the nut and still touches with enough pressure

you'd think they'd figure it out that some don't want to have them and they could make more money by less labor, heck don't even put them in the case and make the customer buy it after the fact.... but it is Gibson, so....

Last edited:

Slashperryburst

Reaction score

Not sure how it is under James Curleigh, but I heard a whisper that those inspectors had to get through a couple of hundred guitars a day under Henry J. So in that case, check the intonation, look for obvious flaws that would be immediately noticeable on a hanger in a store and then on to the next one.

Moni

Banned
Reaction score
i want to agree, but I really can't think of a single LP with a factory installed PG that didn't have a dimple. And IME, its a longer screw than necessary that does the damage, not the nut. And my avatar pic guitar has a screw cut off clean with the nut and still touches with the slightest breeze.

you'd think they'd figure it out that some don't want to have them and they could make more money by less labor, heck don't even put them in the case and make the customer buy it after the fact.... but it is Gibson, so....

I agree yes, the nut and not the screw. Maybe a shorter screw would work I'm not an expert and I'm not going to rip one off the guitar to look and try a shorter screw.

I do know I own a few Les Pauls purchased within the last 10 years and this was only an issue on ONE and the height of the guard on the bridge pickup ring told me it was sitting right on the guitar and should not have been sent out like that, others are usually about half way up the pickup ring.

Here's two pictures showing what I mean, the first is of the guitar after I reset the angle of the pick guard L bracket thingie was slightly bent to raise the guard up where it should be on the bridge pickup ring. The second photo shows where it was when I got it from CME, it's sitting on the guitar.

dL88HRKZ.jpg-large.jpeg
z2geYxXE.jpg-large.jpeg

Moni

Banned
Reaction score
Not sure how it is under James Curleigh, but I heard a whisper that those inspectors had to get through a couple of hundred guitars a day under Henry J. So in that case, check the intonation, look for obvious flaws that would be immediately noticeable on a hanger in a store and then on to the next one.

That sounds highly accurate.

MSB

Reaction score
I agree yes, the nut and not the screw. Maybe a shorter screw would work I'm not an expert and I'm not going to rip one off the guitar to look and try a shorter screw.
did you really read what I wrote?

Moni

Banned
Reaction score
did you really read what I wrote?
Yes, but you didn't read mine.

You blamed Gibson, longer screws which you stated doesn't matter because it touches anyway and you said Gibson shouldn't even be putting pick guards on the guitar to begin with.

At least that's what I got from it.

I stated if one takes two seconds to bend the L bracket just a micro hair it raises the pick guard to where it should be because that is the underlying problem, not screw length. I even posted photos that you didn't look at.

Last edited:

MSB

Reaction score
Yes, but you didn't read mine.

You blamed Gibson, longer screws which you stated doesn't matter because it touches anyway and you said Gibson shouldn't even be putting pick guards on the guitar to begin with.

At least that's what I got from it.
"the nut and not the screw"

your words.

"And IME, its a longer screw than necessary that does the damage, not the nut"

my words

but you think the longer screw doesn't matter? really? you think a longer screw won't hit the top before the nut?

Moni

Banned
Reaction score
"the nut and not the screw"

your words.

"And IME, its a longer screw than necessary that does the damage, not the nut"

my words

but you think the longer screw doesn't matter? really? you think a longer screw won't hit the top before the nut?
You're not even reading your own posts at this point. You said the length of the screw doesn't matter because you cut it flush with the nut and it still almost touches and that Gibson should not include pick guards at all. You stated to not even include them in the case and that people should buy them separately and Gibson would make more money and save in labor.

Also if you scroll back you'll see I agreed with you on the screw length. I don't think it really matters what I said because "something" is causing the damage according to you screws and nuts aside and I stated it was the bracket angle which again, you did not read or even listen to.

So in the words of my college professors back in the day "If you are not willing to listen you will only find conflict and failure".

The bottom line is I disagreed with you and thought I was being respectful. Feel free to go on a rant with 30 more posts which absolutely will not change what you said already earlier in this thread, it belittles you, not I.

Enjoy your sawed off screws at the nut.

judson

Reaction score
Welcome.

Since (as we know) Les Pauls are only truly beautiful with the pickguard on, you needn’t worry about this at all.

Pickguard off is for uncouth rebels who have no decency or taste.

welcome to MLP from an uncouth rebel with no decency or taste with a clownburst....dont let my avatar sway your opinion

i like dents, scratches, worn guitars and scars on naked chicks...oh wait im off topic...nevermind

IMG_20190929_212656303[1].jpg
IMGr8.jpg

judson

Reaction score
wait a minute...is that Sasquatch Turkey coming out of the woods :wow:

he is half as big as the dam pine trees...that one could feed a small town in North Dakota on turkey day....:fingersx:

1569808663854.png

had a wood burning kit as a kid and the only thing i burnt was my fingers trying to hold it like a ball point pen !

efstop

Gold Supporter
Premium Member
Reaction score
My '50s Tribute had no guard so I installed one, and bent the L bracket. My '14 LP Melody Maker has no guard and I won't be installing one, because it has enough going on with metal pup covers, Tele knobs and a chrome switch tip.