Pickguard Bracket Screw Scratched My Les Paul's Body

vasmat

Reaction score
Hello guys!
I have a Gibson Les Paul Studio 2010, and yesterday I installed her a pickguard, as it came without. I just noticed when I took it from the luthier, that the screw of the pickguard bracket had made a small scratch in guitar's body. It is not so deep, but I think the outside nitro has been scratched. I put some kind of non adhensive felt to avoid being any worse!
I would like to tell me your opinion, if is there any way to recover the small scratch?

Attachments

mudface

Non-Deadbeat/Non-Prominent
Double Platinum Supporter
Premium Member
Reaction score
:welcome: to the forum,..... this a common problem with pickguard brackets. Small surface scratches can be buffed or polished out,..... if you're not comfortable doing this get a pro/luthier (maybe not the one who did this) to do the work. The felt may work for now,... but a good bump to the guard may cause a dent. You can try bending the bracket up a tad to keep the nut away from the body.

Good luck and enjoy the forum.

pillbug

Reaction score
Welcome to this forum and to the club of pickguard screw scratched guitars.
I can’t advise on a remedy for your finish but, I too learned the hard way and now I a) look for scratches in that spot on any potential LP purchases and b) get short screws for any pickguard brackets I’m going to install or replace. Oh, and bending the bracket too like Mudface said. It’s a pain, sorry it happened you too.

Who

I'm back. Back in the New York groove.
Reaction score
Welcome.

Since (as we know) Les Pauls are only truly beautiful with the pickguard on, you needn’t worry about this at all.

It’s like worrying what it looks like under the pickup rings. Since the audience will never see under there.... who cares?

Same with the pickguard. Leave it on. All properly attired Les Pauls have the pickguard on. Pickguard off is for uncouth rebels who have no decency or taste.

Hatefulsob

Reaction score
I don’t worry about little sh#t like that but it’s easy to pull the eraser tip off a new pencil, drill a small pilot hole into its center, then push/screw that over the brackets screw. Now when you put weight on your pickguard, the eraser tip touches the top instead of the screw.

vasmat

Reaction score
The adhesive could possibly eat into the nitro over time too.
Hello my friend,
What do you mean that the adhesive would get in the nitro? I took a felt from a furniture store, this that will be located under the feet of chairs for not scratching. Then I cut it in a small circle, as the screw gauge, then I put it in the end of the screw. The adhesive doesn’t touch the nitro, the other side of the felt touches it. I also made an experiment, I tried to drill another felt of the same package with a screwdriver with more much pressure that the screw of the pickguard would press, and the felt doesn’t get damaged at all. So I think I am safe for further damage in guitar finish!

MSB

Reaction score
I guess I need to embrace my barbarism.

but how can you drill two holes in a perfectly good LP, then bitch about the bracket screw marring the top, that is under the PG, that no one would ever see unless you take off said PG, that you just drilled two holes to install?

vasmat

Reaction score
I don’t know but I like Pg in les Pauls! The scratch is a scratch, but regarding the drill holes you leave your chromed screws in and it is just fine.
Here are the before and after. I like much better the after with the cream pickguard!
I am concerned about the bracket scratch only if I decide in some years to take off the pickguard!

Attachments

lpfan1980

Reaction score
Welcome.

Since (as we know) Les Pauls are only truly beautiful with the pickguard on, you needn’t worry about this at all.

It’s like worrying what it looks like under the pickup rings. Since the audience will never see under there.... who cares?

Same with the pickguard. Leave it on. All properly attired Les Pauls have the pickguard on. Pickguard off is for uncouth rebels who have no decency or taste.
You are an LP Puritan all them nekkid LPS are obscene same as dogs walkin around nekkid obscene :rofl:

Moni

Banned
Reaction score
I very slightly bend the top tab L shaped bracket so it raises up a bit and it prevents this issue in the rare occurrence this even happens. I did it on this Historic recently as the pick guard sat on the guitar lower than normal from the factory.

You can see on the bridge pickup ring it sits about where it should be, before it sat almost flush on the guitar which was why the guard screw was touching the finish, Fortunately I fixed this before it chomped into the finish.

505A9644-9AEB-4AC6-BEC3-0F1120399F49.jpeg
A6D4C56E-87D7-4707-9EE4-55C4B73B486C.jpeg
6BD1F50E-97B2-4129-BD2C-43244D0A52B2.jpeg

Last edited:

Colnago1

Reaction score
The felt might have a reaction with the nitrocellulose lacquer finish. Nitro is known to react with many different materials, some happen quickly, other reactions happen over time. No telling if it will or not, just a chance you’re taking. Just a concern. If the scratch is already there, why are you protecting it with felt? Seems weird to protect a scratch.

Moni

Banned
Reaction score
The felt might have a reaction with the nitrocellulose lacquer finish. Nitro is known to react with many different materials, some happen quickly, other reactions happen over time. No telling if it will or not, just a chance you’re taking. Just a concern. If the scratch is already there, why are you protecting it with felt? Seems weird to protect a scratch.
It doesn’t react to it but I suppose the felt materials matter but I do use felt on an SGS-3 for the sideways tremolo because it rings too loudly when playing it as a dampener. I did that after seeing Billy Gibbons do that on one of his.

It’s my favorite SG too. The felt has been there under the trem where the string ball ends hook up for 4 yrs now with no effect to the finish.

4B795DE8-4407-4149-98AC-E16C6104001D.jpeg

LPCM&BFG

Reaction score
Welcome.

None of mine ever even came with a pickguard.... I feel so ashamed now....

LPCM&BFG

Reaction score
You should have bought a Les Paul.

:fingersx:
Yeah.. I might have to look into that. To date I've only had:

a 2005 Les Paul Standard (special edition that had no pickguard as standard / from the factory)
a 2010 Les Paul BFG Gary Moore (no pickguard as standard / from the factory)
a 2015 Les Paul CM (no pickguard as standard / from the factory)
a 2018 Les Paul BFG (no pickguard as standard / from the factory)

Seems I somehow keep missing buying Les Pauls with pickguards... Must be my subconscious saving me from mediocrity... ;)

In fact, the only guitar that I do have with a pickguard is a Gibson SG3 Faded..... But it's an integral part of the guitar as the pups are anchored into it....

Although, this weekend I am going to go look at the 2015 LP Traditional. One of my favourite features, other than the big neck, is that you can take the pickguard off and not have tiny holes in the body of the guitar!

Last edited: