Picked up a 72 Custom Tele last year..........

Bluesky

Reaction score
I'm a big Tab Benoit fan. I have a 76' Tele with 1 wide range HB in the neck and a single coil. Weighs a ton.(over 10 pds). But I've always wanted a double Humbucker Thin line. The RI just don't do it for me. I had a pretty nice boutique clone but it lacked the clarity and high end that I get out of my 76".

Good early 70's thinlines are getting expensive. I really thought my ship had left the dock on ever owning an original.

I've been out of work and I just spent a ton on car repairs for my son recently.....(thank god for good credit) But I Bought this 72' last year at a good price because it needed some work. (I think Tab has a 73').

It was routed underneath and it has a 5 way switch kind of like a Strat. . Looks like it was done by a Pro. Kind of a Andy Summers Jack of trades but master of none you know? Push pulls and a 5 way with split tones.........The best sounds were full on bucker which sounded amazing! I'm getting a new pick guard and put it back to stock. I want a gibson 3 way toggle I dont like Fender Blade switches. The frets were lower then a guitar thief. I mean Gibson fretless low. BUT It still played well which said alot to me.

I got a great deal because of the mods , like I said probably my last chance to get an original before they start getting silly expensive. Those humbuckers are magical and in the early 70s Fender was still making quality guitars.

I sent it to Frank Verrilli , I own 2 of his custom guitars ........hes built a few guitars for the Zack Brown band and others. I just love his work.

We discussed it and he agreed the guitar would sound alot more alive if we stripped that old Poly off and applied some Nitro. Here is the front and back Stripped and sealed:

I wanted a Tab Benoit vibe So I had a light relic sunburst done.........the results look amazing to me:

This guitar has been over a year in the making.Bought it in the spring of 19'. Frank said today he played it one last time before packing it for shipping. He hates to see this one go. After stripping all that early 70's Poly off this guitar became alive! He said it sustains forever. One of his favorite guitars to play unplugged ever. Can't wait to get this one back........... And get back to work!

Bobby Mahogany

Reaction score
I sent it to Frank Verrilli , (... ) We discussed it and he agreed the guitar would sound a lot more alive if we stripped that old Poly off and applied some Nitro. Here is the front and back Stripped and sealed:

This guitar has been over a year in the making.Bought it in the spring of 19'. Frank said today he played it one last time before packing it for shipping. He hates to see this one go. After stripping all that early 70's Poly off this guitar became alive! He said it sustains forever. One of his favorite guitars to play unplugged ever. Can't wait to get this one back........... And get back to work!
Some people get it.
:thumb:

MSB

Reaction score
that is BA, but i'd think my pinky would catch a case from that switch tip

Bluesky

Reaction score
that is BA, but i'd think my pinky would catch a case from that switch tip
I hear you....to each his own I guess. I love Teles and hate Fender Blade witches. I prefer the Toggle up Top Like a LP but down where it is is exactly where I prefer it otherwise. I play mostly on the neck pick up when soloing so I have it upside down. Sounds weird I know.......but it works for me. This guitar plays so much better .......The SB finish is thin man. You can feel the Swamp Ash. Looks and feels 50 yrs old. The guitar is alive when strummed. Cant wait to TAB starts playing again.......going to get him to sign it.

MSB

Reaction score
its still total bad ass and made me search a few Fenders this morning... which i haven't done in quite some time. I'd figure something out if i ran across something like that.

Bluesky

Reaction score
This guitar was cool before. Frets were low but it played decent. Sound pretty amazing

But now!? Its a monster! The thin nitro....the guitar just rings like a bell. Plays insane. If you like to play a few strings together it just rings......double stops are nuts!

Last edited:

Latest Threads