Pick Up Ideas?

Valkyrie

Reaction score
My R9 has BBS. I don’t like them. A little too aggressive for my tastes. I do like the CBs that came in my 2018 R8.
$300 budget.
Suggestions?

DanD

Reaction score
Absolutely. I find even my Custom Buckers sound best low in the ring.

Jymbopalyse

Reaction score
I went for T-Top clones from Vineham Pickups.
He's a custom winder, for a fraction of the Boutique cost.

Two flavours to choose from

"6070's"

These recreate the classic T-Top tones of the late 60's and 70's and of course, all the modern tones you love so much. We use a custom short rough-cast Alnico 5 magnets and SPN magnet wire with matched coils to recreate the classic t-top tone in the neck position. The bridge pickup has a hot, heavy and punchy tone to push into overdrive more easily. Who doesn't like AC/DC or Black Sabbath crunch.
  • Bridge 8.8k - Neck 7.8k

"6070 CLASSIC”

During the 60’s & 70’s there was no difference in the T top neck or bridge pickup both position had the same output which was roughly 7.6k to 8k .the “6070 CLASSIC” is the pickup if you want truer tone from that era .It's a neck pickup that you use for either the neck or bridge position .

Bridge 7.8k - Neck 7.8k

I went for the 6070's and wired in a 50's style harness
Perfect for Hard Rock.

filtersweep

Reaction score
You should be able to find used low winds for that— or even less— made by any number of winders. I have a set of Rewinds that are really good- and voiced differently enough from my CBs. But it is all a matter of taste- and a PAF replica is just that.

Life is too short for Duncans or Gibsons - if you are shopping around.

tspoon5150

Reaction score
Ask Rudy

Serious, Try the classifieds here on Forum

Last edited:

Pappy58

Reaction score
Romain 59er's can be found on Reverb. I bought his low winds for $225. They're awesome!

Dazza

Reaction score
Assuming its an older pre-Custombucker R9 I'm not a fan of those era BB's. Too compressed in the mids / lows and fizzy in the top from my experiences. CB's are definitely an improvement in the open / airy / chime quality though I have found later CB's to be tinny.

Lower winds can seem like the right option but output is not an absolute. I've had OX4, Wizz and CB's all with very similar specs but notable different results in the same guitar. Wizz were most aggressive, the OX4 the sweetest single-coil like chime and the CB's somewhere in between. All 3 sets had great clarity and dynamic response with the boutiques being a step up over the CB's in all respects.

You're spoiled for choice these days. The catch being PAF types can be quite finicky to the guitar they're in.

Daz

1all's Pub

Reaction score
For a $300 budget there are a lot of options. Some of my personal favs for under $300 include (in no particular order):

Boutiques:
  • Bare Knuckle Pickups The Mules (though the BKP Stormy Monday may be more to your taste if you're looking for something a little less aggressive)
  • Brandonwound 1959 Clones
  • Mojotone '59 Clones
  • The Buzztone 57s
  • Manlius Landmark PAFs
  • Seymour Duncan Pearly Gates
  • DiMarzio 36th Anniversary PAFs

Gibson:
  • Custom Buckers
  • '59 Tributes

All of the above (IMO/IME) are better than Burstbuckers.

Zoobiedood

Reaction score
Antiquites or Seth Lovers. Not aggressive, and extremely touch-sensitive.

Caretaker

Reaction score
I have 2 Les Pauls.
Heritage 80(My Avatar).
It has Fralin Pure PAFs.

Unknown year black Custom.
It has an old set of 57 Classics.

Unless I luck into a set of real PAFs, neither of these sets is ever coming out.

RangerJay

Glam Bastard
Premium Member
Reaction score
Bare Knuckles pickups (their more classic models) all have a sweetness to them. I have a couple from them, and my favorite is their Black Dog bridge PU. It's slightly aggressive, but not over the top. More like a SD Pearly Gates.

A set of Pearly Gates from the SD custom shop would be a really sweet sound, similar in vibe to Custom Buckers.

I also have a 58 historic with a Seymour Duncan Whole Lotta Humbucker in the bridge. Very nice. I replaced the original CB in that position because that particular guitar screamed out for a hotter pickup. The WLH in there is still not crazy hot, but it is more aggressive than a CB, for sure. It will kick in quickly feeding a tube amp. Still sweet, and not harsh.

Last edited:

Latest Threads