Pick Up Angle - Am I crazy

1977cj5

Reaction score
Got this 2015 Traditional Pro III used from GC. I have been trying to honestly judge it during my 45 day return period. It looks and plays really good. I have gone back and forth about the sounds Im getting out of the neck pickup. Sometimes it sounds ok to me, other times not so good. Lowering it resulted in the best sound. I tend to play with the neck pickup 90% of the time. Usually clean with a little break up... Blues, Jazz, smoother stuff. My Epi Les Pauls have always sounded really nice when played this way. The Gibson Trad Pro has had a little clankiness (is that a word?) in this department. Not what I would call smooth sounding.

The pickups are the 57's with the Alnico 3 magnets, I think special to the trad Pro III. I really had not looked that closely at the pick up until last night. I noticed the screw side (end towards tuning pegs) was much higher than the slug side. I put a piece of foam under the slug side and now the pickup (front to back) is parallel with the top of the pickup ring.

It does not sound just a little better, it sounds great now, distorted it really sings. Anyone else have a similar experience? Things like this make me wonder how many new pickups are put in guitars unnecessarily.
20220606_102548-3.jpg

gitmohair

Reaction score
"...make me wonder how many new pickups are put in guitars unnecessarily..." I've come across a few that've made me wonder exactly that :)

Your axe looks very fine btw :)

mark gill

Reaction score
hi, yeah, sometimes the springs can hold them at a funny angle, i have used surgical tube like fender does and had good results.

Tollie

Reaction score
That’s a beauty. I love the top and the nice dark fretboard. The burst looks like it faded in an odd way. Maybe the sun was partially obstructed by something, or the guitar was placed almost out of the sun’s rays?

Latest Threads