Pick too hot?

hostileto

Reaction score
I have a pickup 16.5k A8
- dirty tones pretty good
- clean tones I have to roll off down to "7"
If I leave it at 10 when I strum the notes sound like they are clipping or breaking up.
is that normal with such a hot pickup?
hard to jump from clean to hot then clean again
Any way to tame the pickup? change my cap higher than .22?

Last edited:

Roy Bad Horsey

Reaction score
Thats is a hot pickup. I have the Dimarzio Super Distortion 1, and the 36th Anniversary PAF....Both different and very nice. The Super Distortion is a bit bitey if not careful.
The gibson 57 Classic and Classic plus a re very nice.
i really like the Gibson 498T teamed with a Gibson 57 Classic or a Dimarzio 36th Anniversary PAF.
There are many many Good pickups out there and Im not one knock any of them. Its personel taste.

LP1865

Reaction score
I have a pickup 16.5k A8
- dirty tones pretty good
- clean tones I have to roll off down to "7"
If I leave it at 10 when I strum the notes sound like they are clipping or breaking up.
is that normal with such a hot pickup?
hard to jump from clean to hot then clean again
Any way to tame the pickup? change my cap higher than .22?
You can try changing magnets, or try a new pickup

cooljuk

Transducer Producer
Premium Member
Reaction score
Depends on the input of your amp/rig.

Got an old Fender or Marshall style amp? Plug into the second input with less gain and it might handle it in a more typical way.

A8 magnets are really stiff and punchy, like ceramics, so much of what you are hearing is the loud wide dynamics of the magnet.
Coils wound with thin wire like that actually have some compression to them and don’t increase the actual volume too much.

Marshall50w

Reaction score
Probably an obvious thing to say but reducing pickup height including individual pickup screws should reduce the gain if that is what you want to do. I always tinkering around with mine .

ARandall

Reaction score
A high k like that is really only obtainable with very thin wire. As such it almost always will be better at high gain as it tends to suppress the transients.....in effect built in compression. An A8 magnet merely exacerbates the issue and the pickup is always 100% 'on'
Maybe the only way IMO for an immediate shift to clean is to install a series/parallel switch. Many years ago I tried that with a Duncan JB (similar K but an A5 mag) and I got a somewhat pleasant chimey tone from the parallel setting.

hostileto

Reaction score
Probably an obvious thing to say but reducing pickup height including individual pickup screws should reduce the gain if that is what you want to do. I always tinkering around with mine .
Yeah its as far down as it can go I think I might need a new pick up.
Next question.... Best bridge pick up..... oh and the legs have to be short and single braided cable.
Recommendations out there? Winders with the magic hands

LP1865

Reaction score
Yeah its as far down as it can go I think I might need a new pick up.
Next question.... Best bridge pick up..... oh and the legs have to be short and single braided cable.
Recommendations out there? Winders with the magic hands
Firstly what amp are you using. That may be causing the problem. I would suggest you firstly try what the above posts recommend, many fo them are great guys with a lot of understanding of pickups, especially @cooljuk and @ARandall.
Try the series/parallel if you can, and tell us what amp you are using.
Also which pickups are you using?

redking

Reaction score
That's what humbuckers do, even low output ones. They have a higher bass response than a single coil and will clip the signal much more easily. Turning down the volume is how you are supposed to get clean tone - that's why the knob is there.

cooljuk

Transducer Producer
Premium Member
Reaction score
That's what humbuckers do, even low output ones. They have a higher bass response than a single coil and will clip the signal much more easily.
P-90s, DeArmond DynaSonics, Jazzmaster pickups, etc. might disagree. :dunno:

cooljuk

Transducer Producer
Premium Member
Reaction score
Ya, those pickups with the magnets inside the coil, facing straight up at the strings, just tend to be loud and full. ....usually complimented/contrasted by bright coils in designs like Strats and Tele bridges but, when they have warm wide coils - look out!

in P-90s, you have basically the same turn count as a PAF, but with double the magnets. VERY bold pickups! ...even the early A3 models.

hostileto

Reaction score
I got this pickup from MHD years ago and its insane with high gain through tube or pedals super clear just when I switch to clean to get it clean I have roll back to 6 which then I lose volume. I'm running through a trainwreak/ dumble type custom amp which is killer. Crazy amp guy retrofit it spend hours on it. My les paul sounds like tool when I play through it.
My PRS is just not the same as the les paul. Trying to get it to have its own sound. like I said pick up to hot for me maybe someone else would want a hand wound Rayne MDH pickup (which he didn't sign or label so annoying) I have the email to prove that I had him make it.
Its a hot pick up that might do better if the strings weren't so close. Les pauls seem to have some distance from stringes to pickup. Any winders or pickups brands - Are bare knuckles the way to go?

LP1865

Reaction score
I got this pickup from MHD years ago and its insane with high gain through tube or pedals super clear just when I switch to clean to get it clean I have roll back to 6 which then I lose volume. I'm running through a trainwreak/ dumble type custom amp which is killer. Crazy amp guy retrofit it spend hours on it. My les paul sounds like tool when I play through it.
My PRS is just not the same as the les paul. Trying to get it to have its own sound. like I said pick up to hot for me maybe someone else would want a hand wound Rayne MDH pickup (which he didn't sign or label so annoying) I have the email to prove that I had him make it.
Its a hot pick up that might do better if the strings weren't so close. Les pauls seem to have some distance from stringes to pickup. Any winders or pickups brands - Are bare knuckles the way to go?
Seems like the pickup is the problem.
Alright then, you will have to answer some questions:-
-What type of tone are you looking for?
-What type of music do you play?
-What wood is your PRS made of?
-What is your budget?
These questions will really help us recommend a pickup to you.

LP1865

Reaction score
Its a hot pick up that might do better if the strings weren't so close.
Have you tried lowering the pickup height?
If you haven't, I would strongly suggest you do so, it's really simple and just requires a screwdriver.

hostileto

Reaction score
Seems like the pickup is the problem.
Alright then, you will have to answer some questions:-
-What type of tone are you looking for? - my own god like vibrations
-What type of music do you play? Metal/grunge
-What wood is your PRS made of? mahogany no maple top
-What is your budget? endless amounts of bitcoin or under 150USD
These questions will really help us recommend a pickup to you.

Last edited:

Latest Threads