Pick the color of the LP Studio I'm going to refinish.

gkelm

Reaction score
How about dark silver on the back and medium silver on top?

Angelus

Reaction score
Bahama blue is just an amazing color, especially with gold/cream hardware....

HeavyAxe

Reaction score
How bout dark blue....metallic. That’d be a rare bird indeed!

Les Paul Studios have maple caps by the way.

They’re essentially a Standard, but without binding and the body is about a 1/4” thinner.

Good luck brother!
Those are a lot of good colors from which to choose.

DBDM

Reaction score
I would think that adding binding to Studios (marketed and sold ethically) could be a very profitable business model.

cmjohnson

Reaction score
This Studio is fully stripped of all paint and it most definitely has a mahogany top. It is a 2004 model by the serial number and the inlays are plastic MOTS and the Gibson and Les Paul logos are silk screened. The truss rod cover is engraved STUDIO.

Maybe some Studios had maple tops, but this one most assuredly has a mahogany top, unless I retop it. (Not in the plans at this time....but I sure could do that.)

DBDM

Reaction score
So you have a 2004 Vintage Mahogany. A favorite of some who play them. Originally would have been worn Cherry or Worn Brown. Would have come with Burstbucker Pro Pickups.

Edit--those had no grain filler AT ALL. If you want it to be smooth you will need a grain filler. I have seen guys who have tried to refinish those with glossy finishes who did NOT fill the grain and they look...different. No idea what look you are going for, but if it is not "different", use a grain filler.

Last edited:

cmjohnson

Reaction score
This was in worn cherry. There was enough finish left in a few spots to tell that. But not more than that! I put a number of hours into detail sanding (and some chemical stripping) so that you would not be able to tell at all what its original color was. There isn't a trace of it left.

That particular finish is not my favorite. Far from it. But it was unsalvageable long before I got it anyway.

I got the whole guitar, hardware, pickups, electronics, even the hardshell case. But whoever took it apart was a bona fide first class IDIOT. The pickup cables were just cut, about 2 inches from the pickup bodies. There's no excuse for that!

So I'll be taking the pickups apart to put new cables on them. While I'm there I'll put on 4 conductor cables so I have wiring options available.

cmjohnson

Reaction score
The green I have in stock (and a full unreduced quart of it) is this color, exactly:

Latest Threads