Pick the color of the LP Studio I'm going to refinish.

cmjohnson

Reaction score
A good ten years ago, or more, I bought a Gibson Les Paul Studio that someone had sanded all the finish off, and whoever did it, did a BAD job of it. The sides had been rounded off, and in the wrong direction. But I judged it to be salvageable.

I did some work on it, got the sides straightened out, reworked the top carve, spent time on the neck, heel, etc, and generally got in good shape again.

It's all mahogany and the top carve looks good in light and shadows.

The face of the headstock could use a little help. There's a scrape through the Gibson logo (silk screened or a decal) and I'm giving some consideration to several options.

Has anyone here ever added binding to an LP body with the neck still on it? I'm considering doing a Standard conversion on it, or almost. I'd have to
hand carve the binding channel where it approaches the neck joint. Adding binding to the neck would be a minor adventure as well. I'm THINKING of doing this, but haven't decided.

I'd have to source an accurate headstock overlay with Gibson MOP logo. Since it's an authentic Gibson guitar I don't have a problem with this. I'd never do it to a guitar that isn't a genuine Gibson product but a model conversion is fair game.

Of course the top will stay mahogany. I don't want to shave down the top and replace it with a maple cap. I could. I don't want to. Besides, all mahogany guitars have a cool and worthy sound of their own.

And when it comes to the finish....help me decide.

The finish WILL be a metallic. I've got a fair collection of automotive acrylic urethane paints in a variety of metallic colors, sitting on the shelf and needing something to do.

You'll probably have to do some image searches to see some of these colors.

I have available: (All are metallics)
Plum Crazy
Shamrock Green
Inca Gold (a very rich gold, think gold top with a bad attitude)
Light blue
Subaru WR Blue
Charcoal black
Pearl white
Crimson
Dark blue
Light silver
Medium silver
Dark silver
And a shade that's right in the middle between orange and copper.

Given that the bare wood grain is nothing to write home about, it's going to be one of these colors. I'll burn it before I shoot it in its original ugly trans red.

Twoinch

Reaction score
Can't help you with the binding or any of the other things..

But I'm interested in seeing it come together!

paulmarr

Reaction score
If you have the Stewmac binding jig or similar design ... you should be able to cut the binding channel with the neck on ... my vote Plum Crazy

lowatter

Reaction score
10 years ago(where does the time go?) I refinished a Studio Lite in tobacco after doing a headstock repair. If you're not considering bursts, my vote would be goldtop.
I think the member The Thruth did a tutorial on binding a Studio. I'll do a search for you and edit my post.

Edit: Here's the post but it got Photobucketed...
https://www.mylespaul.com/threads/extreme-makeover.16506/

Here is a way to make color choices I did using Corel Draw...

Last edited:

BKS

Reaction score
Pearl white has my vote... My Carvin is pearl white, absolutly love it.
DSC_2968_compress58.jpg

jcohen339

Reaction score
Seafoam green is my fav, but not an option. I vote for dark blue.

Roxy13

Reaction score
Plum crazy or Crimson gets my vote. I have always wanted one in the purple family.

efstop

Premium Member
Reaction score
An all mahogany guitar would be a good candidate for TV Yellow or White, but you have all that unused paint, so...Pearl White and polish the bejesus out of it.

There's a thread on here about converting a guitar to a Standard, and all the binding was done with the neck on. The OP had a small powered hand tool for cutting the binding, and he had to use a chisel on the body near the heel. The nut and frets have to be removed. Either bind, and then slot the binding and refret assuming frets over binding, or trim the frets, install, and then bind for nibs.

judson

Reaction score
dam i didnt know stew mac had a binding jig :wow:

anyone try one...i thought part of the problem was getting some tear away going cross grain....

i might try it on a studio......oh my vote for color would be gold if you dont have one, everyone needs at lease one goldie !

https://www.stewmac.com/luthier-tools-and-supplies/tools-by-job/tools-for-binding/binding-router-guide.html?utm_source=google&utm_medium=shopping&utm_campaign=2020-08-gp&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI2buHkKKE6wIVBozICh3dgwoFEAQYAyABEgLEMfD_BwE

cmjohnson

Reaction score
I can handle the binding if I choose to do it. I just haven't made that choice yet.

So far, goldtop and plum crazy are the front runners.

Since this is a 3 piece back and not amazingly beautiful, I have the option of two toning the guitar, IF, that is, I bind it. Use the binding as the delineation point for a contrasting back. I kind of like that idea.

I'm thinking, if I went for a gold top, and binding, then I could do the rest of the guitar in crimson metallic. Red goes well with gold.

If I did plum crazy for the top, then I kind of like the idea of doing the rest in black. (With binding.)

I always thought that the Standard was a bit odd in the sense that the body has binding, the neck has binding, and the headstock doesn't.

So...I might bind the headstock.

I've done that before.

mgenet

Cheese Burger = Earth
Premium Member
Reaction score
Yeah, Inca Gold.

Definitely pics when you're done. Can't wait.

DaveR

Reaction score
I always thought that the Standard was a bit odd in the sense that the body has binding, the neck has binding, and the headstock doesn't.
I agree. My first LP build had single ply binding on the body neck and headstock because I felt like it. But I also did block inlays and an ebony board, cause I felt like it.

Red and gold could be cool but might be a little “Iron Man suit”. Which could still be cool.

What about a gold base with a bursting of that orange-copper color? I saw a few “gold burst” customs back in the day and always thought they looked cool. Like a gold top meets a silverburst.

DaveR

Reaction score
I’ve always liked them. Don’t know what your colors look like, but this is what I saw in my head
1596677477989.jpeg

cmjohnson

Reaction score
I like that! And now I'm thinking about the various metalburst combinations I could do....

lpfan1980

Reaction score
Maybe a Silverburst-folks like those-and no worries putting a Gibson decal on a Gibson cant wait to see what you choose!

cmjohnson

Reaction score
I just tried to spray out a sample of the Inca gold metallic and it wasn't successful. Can't really do it with an airbrush. I got the viscosity wrong so the sample will wait for another attempt.

If I were to do two color metalbursts, I could do a lighter version of my colors by mixing a portion with straight silver.

Mint green to emerald green metalburst...hmm.

Light to vivid blue metalburst. I know I'd like that!

Lavender to plum crazy...what's not to like?

Latest Threads