Pick My Frehley Burst Top

Shock Me!

• Total voters

indeedido

Reaction score
I'm finally breaking down and looking to buy a Frehley Burst. I've scoured around and narrowed down to these. Which would you choose? You know the tops are all over the place, all are nice for an R9 but only a few are somewhat close to the original. None will ever look like the original. We can't all have the one JimmyAce has. So, which one? Or keep looking? I have one I'm leaning towards. I submit for your approval in no particular order.

OPTION 1:

Geordie

Reaction score
To be honest I’m not blown away by any of them but some pictures are way better than others. I mean they are all beautiful but as for attempting to look as close as possible to the original I think they fall a bit short. 1 and 3 the fretboards look way too light. 2 has beautiful pics and is a very nice but it doesn’t have the flame on an angle like his does. I’d go with number 4 if I was you. I think it does a good job of the slightly wavy upwards angle flames.

SoCal Flood

Reaction score
All lookers for sure. I voted for #3 but a big fan of #2 as well. Both votes based on the look of the individual guitars, not their similarity to the real Frehley Burst. #3 is just a beauty but #2 sure has some character that I can appreciate.

strat1701

El Diablo Cazador De Hombres
Reaction score
#2 shouldn't even be an Ace burst, it's not 'chevron-y' enough. It has the best flame 'top' but it's NOT an Ace burst top. Option 6 is probably the closest (imho) but also probably the most expensive....

joff

Reaction score
Option 3 has a good top but a horrible fretboard...Option 6 is definitely the best of the 6. :)

indeedido

Reaction score
Yeah the tops in the whole line are all over the place. I find myself saying wow this is a nice top or that is a nice top but catch myself and say yeah but it isn't a Frehley top. The Frehley has some quilt to the flame that none really capture. I like 6 but the flame is too straight, not enough curvature.

I've been going between 2 and 4 for several days but I think 3 has the most Ace quality to it.

indeedido

Reaction score
To be honest I’m not blown away by any of them but some pictures are way better than others. I mean they are all beautiful but as for attempting to look as close as possible to the original I think they fall a bit short. 1 and 3 the fretboards look way too light. 2 has beautiful pics and is a very nice but it doesn’t have the flame on an angle like his does. I’d go with number 4 if I was you. I think it does a good job of the slightly wavy upwards angle flames.
I thought the same about 2 and 4. 2 is nice and has great character but 4 is closer. I was all about 4 until I saw 3. I' digging 3 now.

swampblues

Reaction score
the thing about these flames is the all look so different when turned just the slightest. My new R8 goes from kinda suttle to full Pearly Gates

joff

Reaction score
Option 2 looks nothing like the Frehley and Option 4 has a wishy-washy flame...if you could darken up the Option 3 fretboard it would be a killer Frehley imo. :)

Last edited:

jwehrman

Reaction score
For what it's worth, check out the Reeder Burst on CME's website. Might as well be a Frehley

indeedido

Reaction score
I can darken the board. I think 3 is the one. They'e all nice for one reason or another. I've been looking hard at 2 as just a guitar and agree. Here is 2 in action
At the 1:33 mark he holds it up and you can see a good view of the top.

Reactions: Who

DanD

Reaction score
For what it's worth, check out the Reeder Burst on CME's website. Might as well be a Frehley
It might have been a Frehley... :hmm:.

...and I'd look it at as the top being the #1 consideration. I could care less that it looks like the original. I seriously doubt a future buyer would say no I can't get that one, that top is too nice to be a Frehley, I'll pass. :facepalm:

Last edited:

Latest Threads