Pick guard damage

Utmost

Reaction score
I knew it’s there and it doesn’t really bother me but thought I’d share a couple photos in case it would bother someone and you can felt pad it up
B8A32F9A-DBD0-42D2-A91D-93AF9E695067.jpeg
117D4FBD-313E-4D94-B12B-277D37B236F5.jpeg

pondcaster

Reaction score
That's a bad scar, for sure.

Unfortunately the pads leave a mark as well in some cases. All mine do.

Spiderman0863

Reaction score
I feel your pain. My 2017 goldtop has the exact issue. Just looking at your picture is making my blood pressure rise. They should really do something to fix this issue. The pick guard is there to prevent damage not cause it. Take care and stay safe everyone.

mjross

Reaction score
Damn it, now I’ve got to check my Les Pauls!

edit: I just pulled the pickguard on my 2020 Standard 50’s Gold Top. It has a black felt pad glued to the nut. Appears to not show any damage (yet) still pretty new. I suppose that I’ll try to find something other than the felt to try to avoid felt damage. Gibson, are you getting this, HELLO!

Last edited:

Utmost

Reaction score
My sons classic has a felt pad right from the factory and he took the guard off straight away but there is still a blem

Cjsinla

Reaction score
All mine have blems. No problem because I only see it when I take the guard off to look. It’s a good thing that I prefer my guards on.

Brian N

Reaction score
My sons classic has a felt pad right from the factory and he took the guard off straight away but there is still a blem
Same here! My 2017 had a gel bumper on the screw but there was still a slight blemish there; the only blemish on the entire guitar. I checked out a 21 year old LP last month and it didn't have a ding under there even after so long.

Honestly it's just a thing. If I wanted to have the pickguard off, I'd return the guitar but if not, no big deal.

Scream And Fly

Reaction score
I realize that historical aesthetics are important with the LP, however Gibson should change that terrible pickguard mounting design. They can easily do it where it would not appear any different from the outside. It’s unbelievable to me that they continue to use this design that damages the guitar for decades. Ironically, the pickguard is there to protect that part of the guitar from pick scrapes, and yet it causes more severe damage than what it’s there to protect from.

Personally, I don’t like the pickguard and I remove them. I know with some LP models Gibson would leave the guitar undrilled for the pickguard and include it in the case. That makes much more sense. The screwless pickguard Gibson introduced years ago was also a nice alternative.

Spiderman0863

Reaction score
The protective pads do little to help after the damage is done. I believe the design allows the damage to be done at the moment of installation. Regardless of anything anyone could possibly say about this issue. This is an absolute POS design. History and nostalgia be dammed. Fix this issue Gibson. You can start with fixing mine!

vechap

Reaction score
No damage to my '18 Tribute... The L bracket is high enough where there is a tiny clearance. I supposed if I whacked on the pick guard it would bring it down far enough to incur some damage, but I don't wham/whack on my pickguard. :)

1all's Pub

Reaction score
Yep, common issue, but the OP’s example is the worst I’ve seen. :(

dro

Reaction score
If pick guard is already on, leave it on. If not, leave it off.
cherryfront.jpg

DB&WR.JPG

jk60LPTH

Reaction score
For future info (too late to correct the damage you already have) I have an LP that I noticed the pickguard would bottom out with the nut against the top when I rested my little finger on it. After looking at all of my LPs, the best explanation I can offer is, it appears that when the bracket hole is a little to close to the rounded edge of the binding, pressure on the pickguard causes it to roll just enough to let the nut on the back of the pickguard touch the maple. My solution was to put a nylon caphead nut on that screw; it took me a while to find one that had a small enough caphead to work, and even then I had to file away some of the nylon. Now, the pickguard sits on that nylon nut... I suppose after some years of use it might mar the finish slightly, but not break thru... far better than the situation you have.

zdoggie

Reaction score
oh we'l just put a pickguard bandaid over that and scoot out the door ,once somebody buys it they'l be stuck with it
not our problem right !!
zdog

Latest Threads