Physical Graffiti or Exile on Main Street

Pageburst

Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’ve tried to get into Exile but still find it one of the most overrated records of all time. it seems at it‘s core a mediocre record of bloated highly derivative, unimaginative songs. It lacked the taught, muscular excellence of Sticky Fingers and tried to make up for it with this raw garage band gritty cohesiveness. Of course, the ridiculous critics fawned all over like the first heroin chic model.

Physical Graffiti while arguably less cohesive has flashes of singular brilliance that Exile with it’s best tracks can’t begin to approximate. While Tumbling Dice is as perfect a straightforward rock n roll song as the Rover and easily more popular, no where on Exile is there an equal to the delicate melodic introspection of 10 years gone or the epic and expansive Kashmir. Light n shade amidst the heaviness. That was the brilliance of Zep.
Not to disparage the Stones, Let it Bleed and Sticky Fingers were as great a pair of rock albums as you can find. But II through Physical Graffiti was a rock n roll trifecta plus 2 we are unlikely to ever see again.

Fracture

Reaction score
maybe linking this to the images in TSRTS or
because it's been in one of my cars CD players for 6 years

always left a little moved by this one

CB91710

Not Michael Sankar
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Physical Graffiti was a huge step in the evolution of LZ, IMHO, really their peak of creativity before the demons began to destroy the band.
In Through the Out Door was effectively a Plant/Jones album with Jimmy doing the guitar tracks pretty much in isolation.

Presence was good, but on the whole, it lacked cohesiveness... it was almost like Coda, seemed like a collection of unreleased tracks and not something the band set out to assemble.

mdubya

Reaction score
Physical Graffiti is tough to beat.

I like Sticky Fingers and Satanic Majesties, myself.

And Fool To Cry for a single.

Last edited:

efstop

The dickens you say!
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have Exile, and I have no Zep albums, so...

CB91710

Not Michael Sankar
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have Exile, and I have no Zep albums, so...
LOL!

And I have all of the Zep albums on CD, and everything before Coda on vinyl.

The only Stones I have... if I still have it... is a cassette version of Made in the Shade that my GF gave me.

dmac in SC

Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I never was crazy about either one...it was kinduv a burnout period

EasyAce

Reaction score
Exile on Main Street in a walk. If the Rolling Stones had called it a career after that album, they'd have been remembered for going out in a blaze of glory.

I liked Physical Graffiti, too, but it was padded with leftovers from the Zeppelin vault. They might have had an even better album if they'd kept it to the eight new pieces they did write and record for it. (If indeed those eight numbers went the length of three LP sides, they could have done what Johnny Winter did successfully with Second Winter and just released a three-sided album with the fourth side blank.)

Caretaker

Reaction score
I got bored with Zep after 4.
The Stones up until 74 were a great bar/blues band and after Taylor left i was bored with them also.

Rocco Crocco

Reaction score
PG is a masterpiece, IMHO. There's a lot of variety... Down by the Seaside, Houses of the Holy (first song I ever learned on guitar... so simple!), Ten Years Gone, Trampled Underfoot (it has a Disco groove, fer chrissakes!), The Rover, etc, etc...

I am a Zep freak... the Stones, not so much but there are way better RS albums than Exile, IMO.

Zacknorton

Banned
Reaction score
As much as I LOVE Physical Graffiti. And I LOVE that album. I've got to go with Exile.

doesn't cover as much ground for sure. But I can listen to it on repeat for days.

Maybe I need to give that at a try with Physical Graffiti?

EasyAce

Reaction score
I am a Zep freak... the Stones, not so much but there are way better RS albums than Exile, IMO.
For me there will never be any better Rolling Stones album than . . .

1620074479904.png

Latest Threads