PHOTO REQUEST: Vintage Poker Chip with lettering intact & then Lacquer Checking

yeatzee

Reaction score
Working on a video reviewing a Murphy Lab guitar and part of the video will be noting some of the differences vs vintage. The first thing that jumped out to me was how different and incorrect the poker chip looks on the ML. I'm trying to find a photo to show as an example of a vintage poker chip that still has lettering in tact enough to see the gold/green color and font. I found a great one online but I'm having trouble getting permission from the photographer to use it in the video so I'm hoping a forum member has one I can use (with credit!).

The second photo I need is one that shows vintage lacquer checking clearly. Getting it to show up decently on my vintage junior is tough with the red color, so I'm hoping there's a white custom color photo out there that shows checking real well or a goldtop which also tends to show checking well.

Any help appreciated!

Last edited:

yeatzee

Reaction score
Here's my '56 Junior that has a lot of checking.

That's some amazing checking wow! For the checking photo Im looking for, I'm hoping for something in a bit better condition overall. I personally love ones like this with all the vibe but for the purpose of the video I'd like the more mild variety.

sws1

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Are you trying to compare the checking on 1 vintage Gibson with the checking on 1 ML guitar? What style of checking do you want? There's many to choose from. (If you put a ML sticker on these guitar below, many would immediately say it doesn't look right.)

yeatzee

Reaction score
Are you trying to compare the checking on 1 vintage Gibson with the checking on 1 ML guitar? What style of checking do you want? There's many to choose from. (If you put a ML sticker on these guitar below, many would immediately say it doesn't look right.)

Vertical light checking. I'm going to talk about how many variations there are in checking types on vintage guitars, but that's my personal favorite and what I've seen most. This is exactly what I want to use but I haven't gotten a response from him yet.

Actually that goldtop looks like it's got a perfect poker chip, do you have any better photos of that?

bossaddict

@david.beason on IG
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I assumed you were looking for a late '50s poker chip. If you're looking for early to mid '50s era, I can take a close up of the one on my '54 Goldtop.

Here's some light checking on it...

Last edited:

yeatzee

Reaction score
I assumed you were looking for a late '50s poker chip. If you're looking for early to mid '50s era, I can take a close up of the one on my '54 Goldtop.

Here's some light checking on it...

Actually looking for both! Those pics are great, I was able to get hold of a professional photographer that has photographed many bursts and it looks like I may be able to get a few of their photos but I will absolutely hit you up if I need some more. Gorgeous guitar by the way! Some day o_O

Edit; And I changed the direction I was going in the video, so your junior with the crazy checking might be perfect as well. I'll let you know shortly if I need the file or not. Thanks so much!

Last edited:

EdmundGTP

Reaction score
Old lacquer gonna do what old lacquer wants to do..

Obviously some checking patterns are more aesthetically appealing than others, and certain replication techniques predictably create certain patterns, but categorically calling some checking patterns "correct" and others "incorrect" is a bit disingenuous.

Here's some more "obviously incorrect" checking on a very well-used '69 ES.

yeatzee

Reaction score
Thanks guys! Thought I left a response to the thread but must have forgotten to hit reply. You guys covered the bases! I actually got access to some photo's and vintage gutiars so I think I'm covered, but I will reach out to you individually if there's something I'd like to request permissions to use. In the mean time, keep the pics coming they are so cool to look at!

sws1

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Check out this one from Gibson's most recent video.

Latest Threads