Photo Flame into a Gold Top?

polifemo

Reaction score
I´ve got an Orville Les Paul Standard that I really love.
Well, I love the sound of it and I also love the feel of it BUT I HATE the looks of it

In this pic it looks kind of "OK" but IRL the Photo Flame is just disgusting...

The slim neck, the light weight and the tone makes it my favorite Les Paul so I´m thinking about turning it into a Gold Top. (I would have loved if it would have been possible to turn it into some kind of "Burst", but the 3 piece top makes this impossible...)

As this is a "simple" (but GREAT!!!) guitar the finish is thin poly and my question is if it´s enough just to "dull" the poly in order to be able to make the Nitro stick, or do I have to sand the top down to the bare wood?

And finally: Is this a good or a bad idea :hmm:

Ps As I´m a noob on all this the paint job will be done by a pro. I´ll only be doing the treatment of the top prior to that. Ds

Cpt_Gonzo

Reaction score
Personally I wouldnt apply Nitro over Poly. I'd go for a complete refinish. I don't even know how well the Nitro would adhere to the poly.

purevilpleasure

Reaction score
If you know the person that is doing the painting ask them how they would like it. If you ask us and tell you some thing wrong you maybe creating more of an issue for yourself and the painter.

bfcg

Reaction score
Have the painter do a GT with poly.
You could buy 2k in rattle cans with catalyst in the can that you activate before using.

polifemo

Reaction score
Have the painter do a GT with poly.
You could buy 2k in rattle cans with catalyst in the can that you activate before using.
OK.
Probably the safest way to go.
Thanks!

JJ Blair

Reaction score
Nitro adheres fine over poly. Fender did it from about '63 until they started using full poly, with their Fullerplast base coats.

alexvdl

Reaction score
nitro over poly is no problem, but the thing is with photo finish is that the photo layer shrinks or expands differently than the thick poly layer on top of it. So that is why most of the photo finish guitars have long and heavy cracks in the finish.

I would definitely take off the finish of the top and sand through the photo layer before refinishing.

Rubberman

Reaction score
I have the same photo flame on my MIJ epiphone, and I also hate it.
My idea was to make it a gold top too. I haven't done anything yet.

GuitarMechanic

Reaction score
This thread is kinda making me sad
I have an Orville with a photo flame top I kinda feel sorry for it now like everybody thinks she's ugly :(
Maybe I will go home tonight and give her a hug (personally yes the flame is a bit over the top but I kinda like it )
Oh yeah and the original reason for my reply
IF there is a rattle can with catalyst inside somehow (I haven't seen this before and I used to work in a body shop but that was a few years ago) do NOT under any circumstances spray this without a respirator

Cpt_Gonzo

Reaction score
I have the same photo flame on my MIJ epiphone, and I also hate it.
My idea was to make it a gold top too. I haven't done anything yet.
"the same"? I mean, really, the same picture?

GuitarMechanic

Reaction score
"the same"? I mean, really, the same picture?

I think it might be on some of them that actual "flamey" part looks identical just the burst spray or whatever it has makes the difference. The flame is a micro thin "sticker" essentially that goes under the paint
I still stand behind mine, over the top but still loveable (plays better than most actual Gibbys I have played too)

Rubberman

Reaction score
This thread is kinda making me sad
I have an Orville with a photo flame top I kinda feel sorry for it now like everybody thinks she's ugly :(
Maybe I will go home tonight and give her a hug (personally yes the flame is a bit over the top but I kinda like it )
Don't worry, I give mine a hug twice a day, it's by far my favorite guitar (I just dim the light...)

polifemo

Reaction score
What´s the best way to remove the poly? (I don´t think that it´s that thick actually)
A scraper maybe? (A bit scared to ruin the carve though...)

H.E.L.Shane

Reaction score
paint stripper and a plastic scraper or a credit card, mother in laws license.. .etc....

polifemo

Reaction score
Don´t think that one can get any paint stripper here in Scandinavia that can touch the poly ... (We´ve got a really strict legislation regarding "toxic" liquids for this type of use)

GuitarMechanic

Reaction score
a heat gun and a plastic scraper paint it some funky cool color or black or something (just my suggestion, I'm not a big fan of goldtop)