Philadelphia soda tax....

Dolebludger

Reaction score
Yes, I think all will find on research that the various government entities have the power to tax the sale of just about anything. And the reason for doing so is to raise revenues some cities, etc. really need. The only question I have is whether a tax on soft drinks might be more trouble than it's worth.

SteveGangi

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Yes, I think all will find on research that the various government entities have the power to tax the sale of just about anything. And the reason for doing so is to raise revenues some cities, etc. really need. The only question I have is whether a tax on soft drinks might be more trouble than it's worth.

And there is the rub...

Yes they have the authority to raise and collect taxes. They have to have that authority. However, to say it is for our own good and to force supposedly "healthy" choices is deeply offensive to some of us. It implies a level of gov't control into private individual personal choices that should not be allowed.

Better to just tell the truth then ... "we need to raise revenue to keep this place running".

Brians Evil Twin

Poophoria Sōtō Zen
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I propose a breathing tax. $0.01 per breath or a $100/mo. pass card good for all the air you can breath. Maybe a 3-day pass for tourists, $15.

Plus it creates a whole new cottage industry for street vendors, win/win.

Hagarbreathingtax.gif

Bill Hicklin

Reaction score
And there is the rub...

However, to say it is for our own good and to force supposedly "healthy" choices is deeply offensive to some of us. It implies a level of gov't control into private individual personal choices that should not be allowed.

THAT is the heart of it. It's not that municipalities can tax any and everything and usually do- if you want to live in a city you know the score - what's annoying, to say the least, is the Nanny State.

Still, this isn't as bad or as destructive as Los Angeles' moronic ban on fast-food restaurants in, um, 'deprived neighborhoods.'

Stevie 202

Reaction score
Gub'mint...:rolleyes:

If it moves tax it, if it keeps moving regulate it and when it quits moving subsidize it.

Tim Fezziwig

Reaction score
This is funny. I always say "I came into the world naked-I leave in a suit with no back....not bad I made some cloth." I'm actually getting cremated,so I get a flaming-so I lose again. I understand to live is to lose. Tariffs amuse me-for thee can take my coin;not my poetry. I'm sitting here drink HOT black coffee....it is 94 degrees.........................SO HOT-SO GOOD!

Tim Fezziwig

Reaction score
you're right
not many people can take your poetry :laugh2:

a, you are VERY right. I've gotten into HUGE scrapes with my "spoutings." You should have seen me when I was 24 working in sweatshops:shock:those slobs would get cranky when I spoke my TRUE verse...............

Dolebludger

Reaction score
Well, Steve, I totally agree with you, about cities and states taxing food products they think are unhealthy. In the first place, diet soda has NOT BEEN PROVEN to be unhealthy. The jury is still out -- way out -- on this one. And what is Philly dong about taxing Big Macs? Nothing as I have seen, And, anyway, if you don't like to see fat people, the best advice is don't go to Philly! But then, who am I to say how others should treat their bodies? Really, I have no jurisdiction there.Taxes by cities should be to raise needed revenues for city services, like roads, bridges, parks, and such. I don't think this "soda tax" is going to be much help in this regard.

artis_xe

Christopher
Reaction score
forgot to comment on this
I'm sitting here drink HOT black coffee....it is 94 degrees.........................SO HOT-SO GOOD!

not a well known fact , but hot liquids can cool a person down , on a hot day

just sitting down to a bowl of hot chili , myself :)

Latest Threads