phase switch on p/p tone pot?

jasyr

Reaction score
I'm getting new pots & want to use a push/pull for in and out of phase on a tone knob. Reason being is i want the same feel on the volumes which i use a lot. Tone not as frequent. Is that possible? (I've only been playing 40 years so please excuse me if this is a dumb question!) Cheers, j

DarrellV

just Livin' the Dream....
Premium Member
Reaction score
I'm getting new pots & want to use a push/pull for in and out of phase on a tone knob. Reason being is i want the same feel on the volumes which i use a lot. Tone not as frequent. Is that possible? (I've only been playing 40 years so please excuse me if this is a dumb question!) Cheers, j
Not dumb at all....

But first let me make sure I understand the question.

You have coil splits on there now, and that's why your volumes have the P/P knobs..

You are ordering new pots and would like to add another P/P to a tone pot for phase reversal

The short answer would be yes, it's doable, it would depend on your technical dexterity and soldering skills more than anything.

There are lots of diagrams out there for wiring an OOP switch.. so you should be able to find one and make it work.

:photos:of the test subject are always nice!

BadPenguin

Reaction score
Disregard the 3 way lever switch on this diagram. This one shows you how to do it with a master coil tap p/p, and a p/p for phase. it would be easy enough to have 2 single p/p switches, and still add a 3rd one for phase. But please make sure your p/p for your tone pot is a 500k A pot. B's are generally used for volume, A's for tone.

CB91710

Premium Member
Reaction score
Jimmy Page wiring diagram:

P-P on all 4 pots. Coil tap on the volume pots, phase on the tone pots.

Frethead

Reaction score
But please make sure your p/p for your tone pot is a 500k A pot. B's are generally used for volume, A's for tone.
Like many things on a guitar, this is more of a personal preference thing. I personally don't like linear taper for anything. My new Gibson Les Paul Standard came stock with all audio taper pots for both volume and tone (which pleased me very much) . But I've had other guitars that came with linear volumes and audio tones and vice versa. Just depends on what you prefer

cooljuk

Transducer Producer
Premium Member
Reaction score
I don't know why everyone thinks you want, or have now, push/pulls on the volume pots? I didn't read anything about that in your post, @jasyr.

What you need, in order to do phase reversal on your guitar, is that one of your pickups MUST have a multi-conductor wiring. You can't just swap hot and ground. You need the ability to swap the coils electrical polarity independently from ground, which stays grounded in both positions.

If either of your pickups has four conductor wiring (it's actually "4 + ground"), you can do it. It doesn't matter which pickup you electrically reverse polarity on. The sound in all positions will be the same, whichever pickup you decide to use for electrical reversal.