Phaez JTM owners...I need help with speakers

stephen78

Reaction score
So I've owned my Phaez JTM 18 for a while now, and I've been playing it through an Avatar 1x12 (open back) with a Celestion G12H30. It sounds good, but I really want to try out a Greenback style speaker with this amp. Since there are so many choices, here's what I've narrowed it down to from reading and listening to clips:

Scumback M75 (65 watt) - seems really, really popular
Celestion Creamback (65 watt) - have heard great things about it
Celestion G12M Greenback (25 watt) - only fear is the low wattage if I decide to use it with a different higher wattage amp

Again, I do like the G12H30, but I feel like I might be missing out sometimes and I'm craving a more "vintage" tone. The only negative about the G12H30 is sometimes it has too much low end for me.

Thanks for any opinions! :dude:

rclausen

Reaction score
I use a Scumback M75 in my Avatar 1x12. I have a G12H30 paired with a V30 in a 2x12. I haven't tried the G12H30 alone but I do like the Scumback a lot. You might also want to consider the J75 which is basically like pairing the M and H.

MissoulaGriz

Reaction score
Don't dismiss the Private Jack - 50W, it's "greenback" flavored and a very nice speaker. I have one in a 2X12 paired with a Classic Lead 80. When I A/B them both it's amazing how "smokey" and think the Private Jack sounds compared to the CL80. The mids are nice, thick and growly, the bass is even tempered and the highs are crisp but not shrill. I really like the sound of them in the SIBLY.

NYC LP player

Reaction score
So I've owned my Phaez JTM 18 for a while now, and I've been playing it through an Avatar 1x12 (open back) with a Celestion G12H30. It sounds good, but I really want to try out a Greenback style speaker with this amp. Since there are so many choices, here's what I've narrowed it down to from reading and listening to clips:

Scumback M75 (65 watt) - seems really, really popular
Celestion Creamback (65 watt) - have heard great things about it
Celestion G12M Greenback (25 watt) - only fear is the low wattage if I decide to use it with a different higher wattage amp

Again, I do like the G12H30, but I feel like I might be missing out sometimes and I'm craving a more "vintage" tone. The only negative about the G12H30 is sometimes it has too much low end for me.

Thanks for any opinions! :dude:

Celestion G12M in the 18w Marshall 1974x is only 20 watts so unless you are looking for headroom that should still be an option.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0KXGJQ-176k]Celestion G12H30 Anniversary & Creamback 65 - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W_iU2zNBSE8]Celestion Guitar Speaker Shootout -Dirty Channel- V-Type, Creamback G12-H, Gold Alnico by Scott Sill - YouTube[/ame]
this guy did a clean shoutout

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AaQtU3rJjEw]Celestion G12M 65 Creamback and Scumback M75 65 watt - YouTube[/ame]

eaglewolf

Reaction score
While it is a different configuration than what you have, I use a Scumback H75/H55 in a 2X12 cab (closed back) with my MLP35. It sounds excellent in that setup. I would expect either of those speakers to also sound good in a 1X12.

David

stephen78

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies everyone!

I really like that shootout vid between the Creamback and Scumback. The Creamback sounds smoother on the top end and the Scumback has a little bite to it.

NYC LP player

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies everyone!

I really like that shootout vid between the Creamback and Scumback. The Creamback sounds smoother on the top end and the Scumback has a little bite to it.

I was all about the creamback but didnt like it as much in the clean shootout done by silennum

Matty

Reaction score
I rock a pair of Scummies with mine, M & H 75's. Sounds just like the good 'ol days. :thumb:

Great pair I reckon, although the same mix of similar speakers from any of the other brands would be great too I'd think. :hmm:

For a 1x12 the Scumback J75 is supposed to be an M & H mix in one speaker like rclausen so wisely pointed out. :cheers:

I've just taken delivery of a Scumback BM75 for my soon to be new SIBLY/Corona, gonna stick it in a 1x12 convertible cab which is also yet to exist. :rolleyes:

It'll probably be too late but I'll let you know how it gets on with the JTM anyway. :thumb:

ant_riv

Reaction score
I have a JTM18+ and an Avatar 1x12 open back cab.

I started with the G12M-25.
I liked it but felt it was missing something.

Tried a Creamback and liked it better. Would have been happy stopping here.

I had a chance to get a Scumback H55-30 and my search is over.

The Scumback has a fuller, more even response across the spectrum, to my ears.
Each speaker was good, but the Scumback is "best" for my needs.

Just as an fyi, I typically play "classic rock".

stephen78

Reaction score
Well after a ton of research, clips, and talking to Jim at Scumback, I ordered a Scumback H75-PVC 65 watt with FBI today. I went with the 65 watt so I can use it with some other higher wattage amps I have along with the JTM 18.

I initially was going for an M type speaker, but I decided to stick with the H. I'll let you guys know how it sounds once I receive it!

LesterNtele

Reaction score
Dont laugh but I found the Eminence Manowar turns the jtm18 into a fire breathing dragon.
Loud and obnoxious cranked up. Nice lows and highs when tamed down.
It has quite a measure of that vintage "throaty" sound to it. 120 watts would handle about anything.

My advice is to go ahead with the Scumback but maybe buy a cheeper cab for swapping around speakers.
You can get that amp to sound very different when the need arises.

rykus

Reaction score
I'd recomend the weber blue dog as a cheaper way to try an alnico as well,really warm and nice with the tube rec.

Latest Threads