Phaez sub forum? Yes or no?

• Yes

Votes: 53 54.6%
  • No

Votes: 44 45.4%

• Total voters

SludgeBurns

Reaction score
Hey freebird12 - I just sent you a PM. I commissioned the original Rooster from Phaez. Let me know if you have any questions.

SludgeBurns

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I’ve been away for quite sometime but I just grabbed a 22 watt 6V6 Jackal off Reberb. I am well familiar with the Phaez pedigree but I have couple questions I’m hoping to get some clarity on.

My new Jackal has a 4-way “Mod” knob. Anyone know what it does exactly?

Same question for the depth knob.

Cheers

MissoulaGriz

Reaction score
Hi there...it's been a long time since I've checked into this thread and I can't believe we're up to 864 pages!
I've been playing, recording and gigging with my 18 Watt SIBLY (old "woody" version) for five years now and it's still going strong. One thing that has driven me crazy this whole time and that I'm hoping someone could explain to me is....what in the heck does the "Boost" knob do on this amp? Is it a presence? Is it compression? Is it an overall tone enhancer? I have no idea but I'd sure as heck like to know what this knob does and how it reacts to the other tone knobs.

My current settings are:
Gain - 10:00
Boost - 11:00
Treble - 12:00
Bass - 9:00
Mids - 2:00
Master to taste.

Thanks for any insight you may be able to give!

doc_madsen

Reaction score
Bump. Randy has been busy and seems to be pumping out a lot more PCB preamps/handwired units. Kinda torn atm. I was going to buy the Marshall Studio Classic in Navy Blue Levant-but its price is insane. The Change from black to blue tolex is 300 Cdn, same guts. Then the 212 went from 999 to 1170.

Almost 500 more for the exact same head and cab-using V Type speakers (They may sound good but are much cheaper than heritage or even regular chinese made Celestions like the vin30 and greenbacks.) At 3000 before taxes I am having a hard time justifying to myself, nevermind my wife.

I know how to build cabs. In fact I have made 8 cabs and was only disappointed with one. A 410 that I couldn't get the tolex to fit properly, while the greenback 10s didn't sound as amazing as I hoped.

Anyway here are the questions I have. I love the JCM 800 tone, but was never in love with the marshall no range tone stack. Don't want to use an EQ pedal if I don't have to. The Jubilee has a way more dynamic stack, but most of what I have heard the amp is way too fizzy for my liking. I had an older Duophonic that was corona and sibly. Sibly sounded good, but again the tone stack was meh. I can cover the plexi like sounds with my Traynor Bassmaster or Bassmate and my YCS50 covers a lot of highgain tones (or my Dark Terror)

What Phaez gets me close to JCM 800 territory or higher gain without the jube's fizzyness, and does that amp have a more responsive tonestack. Is a daisycutter or pasadena maybe what I should be looking for? Asheville perhaps or just go and get the real deal reg Marshall head for 1500 and build my own cab.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

A picture of my 4th cab(yeah I know I messed up on the piping, logo is slightly modified since then) . 210 with Jensen Jet Falcons. Really like the tone these little guys make. Great detail and no fizz when driven. And my first cab, a diag vin30 equipped cab with piano hinge in the back for semi open and closed back uses. (That Traynor/my cab setup thumps like a beast. Real great high gain out of that setup) A massive 112 I built for a guy at work for 150 (had a used swamp thang and did it at cost) and another 212I built for a friend to sorta match his Marshall Valvestate It has a side swing rear door for quick speaker swaps. Still haven't had a chance to test run the 10 speakers we want to try out in it.

Attachments

Last edited:

needlespauls

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
WOW great cabs there man!!!! Look awesome...
Just got a Duophonic myself with Daisycutter and Blackface channels...I love this amp!! This ones a little different...has 6L6 tubes and is 35 watts. I am NO expert on what Randy’s Daisycutter circuit is based on, but it covers a HUGE range of gain tones, responds well to the guitars volume knob to 3D edge of break up tones. The Pasadena really nails classic hard rock, think old Van Halen.
I would contact Randy, but I’m thinking either the Harem, Hot Rubber Monkey, perhaps a Daisycutter would be his suggestion. He was very helpful andresponsive when I ordered last month.

V2

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Anyway here are the questions I have. I love the JCM 800 tone, but was never in love with the marshall no range tone stack. Don't want to use an EQ pedal if I don't have to. The Jubilee has a way more dynamic stack, but most of what I have heard the amp is way too fizzy for my liking. I had an older Duophonic that was corona and sibly. Sibly sounded good, but again the tone stack was meh. I can cover the plexi like sounds with my Traynor Bassmaster or Bassmate and my YCS50 covers a lot of highgain tones (or my Dark Terror)

What Phaez gets me close to JCM 800 territory or higher gain without the jube's fizzyness, and does that amp have a more responsive tonestack. Is a daisycutter or pasadena maybe what I should be looking for? Asheville perhaps or just go and get the real deal reg Marshall head for 1500 and build my own cab.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks.
Welcome to the MLP forums, doc_madsen. The Daisycutter and Pasadena might now be very similar (or the same) amps. Years ago, the DC had four gain stages and plate-driven tonestack between stages 3 and 4. It worked well. It's not a JCM clone, so Marshall purists would probably look elsewhere for a tone clone. But the DC does sound Marshally to my ears.

In what part of Canada do you reside? I'm out on the west coast. I just modded my BassMaster into a gain monster (with a responsive tonestack).

doc_madsen

Reaction score
Welcome to the MLP forums, doc_madsen. The Daisycutter and Pasadena might now be very similar (or the same) amps. Years ago, the DC had four gain stages and plate-driven tonestack between stages 3 and 4. It worked well. It's not a JCM clone, so Marshall purists would probably look elsewhere for a tone clone. But the DC does sound Marshally to my ears.

In what part of Canada do you reside? I'm out on the west coast. I just modded my BassMaster into a gain monster (with a responsive tonestack).
I live in Windsor no less. I had talked to randy some time ago (5 years maybe) about an an asheville but life has a funny way of limiting the number of amps I have. I was on a Godin forum and realized 10 Godins, 2 seagulls and an Art and Lutherei have passed through my fingers while I still have 4 of them...and I don't play much, just tone chase.

If I had practiced 1/8 as much as the time I invested in tone chasing I would be a pro musician touring in arenas by now :dude:(lol well maybe)

I try to stay away from molesting my Traynors, they have a great tone on their own. Use to own one with a "plexi and jcm channel" a lot more quotes than the real deal. Wasn't marshall and wasn't traynor.

The Pasadena clip sounded fine. I am pretty much looking at tone like Hold The Line-Toto(under rated as hell) and all the NWOBHM sounds- Diamond Head, Dark Star, Witchfynde etc. Also like the tone for Moonrider by Moxy Its probably just an overdriven plexi tone, but my sibly didn't quite make it last time I owned one.

I have seen some of your amps from lurking over the years, they sound great. I even went so far as to try to build a Trinity Tramp. However I need better soldering skills, something went wrong during my build and I need to go over everything before I fry the amp. Too disappointed about the build to go work on it again ATM. Might be a while yet.

Tonejones

Reaction score
Hello all,
I am new to the forum and am anxiously awaiting my first Phaez. I'm getting a 50 watt el34 Duotone AFD/Corina and I can't wait!!

My question is what speakers?

I've got a few different speaker cabs: 5150 slant cab, mojotone with Webers (not a fan of the Webers) but I'm trying to figure out what speakers will do the amp the most justice. I'm a big fan of the whole in your face marshall sound if that helps narrow down the speaker suggestions.

I've got an empty deep 410 cab I'd love to populate (hard to beat that 10" speaker punch).

Thanks in advance and am glad to be here!!

Last edited:

matthew bear

Reaction score
The celestion V30 10’s are pretty good. I ran them with my daisy cutter... though I’m one of those weirdos that likes V30s :dunno:

redking

Reaction score
Hello all,
I am new to the forum and am anxiously awaiting my first Phaez. I'm getting a 50 watt el34 Duotone AFD/Corina and I can't wait!!

My question is what speakers?

I've got a few different speaker cabs: 5150 slant cab, mojotone with Webers (not a fan of the Webers) but I'm trying to figure out what speakers will do the amp the most justice. I'm a big fan of the whole in your face marshall sound if that helps narrow down the speaker suggestions.

I've got an empty deep 410 cab I'd love to populate (hard to beat that 10" speaker punch).

Thanks in advance and am glad to be here!!
Check out the WGS 10 inch British speakers. If you want a greenback type of vibe go with the Green Beret, or maybe the ET10 or Retro10 suit your ear better. Sound clip examples are on the site

LPV

Reaction score
Wow that was over 11 years ago. Still playing the amp regularly. Never had a single issue with it. Have it mounted in a combo now though.
0A96C9ED-1891-4F26-B202-6E6B319DED8B.jpeg

Latest Threads