Phaez Amps and Speaker Combinations Thread

SludgeBurns

Reaction score
I know, I know - another Phaez thread right? Well, the epic 80+ page "When is everyone else..." thread is getting hard to sift through for specific info. Besides that, MLP is always a high Google result when searching for Phaez Amps so I'd rather have a chat with the enthusiasts and not worry about the 1-star givers.

Anyway, I've always been a V30 guy and I have two 2x12's loaded with them. With the SIBLY on the way, though, I'm looking to get something of another flavor. Specifically a 1x12. I've read a lot of praise here for Scumbacks but which one for an 18w SIBLY? I've never played a Celestian G12H30 but it seems like a good fit as well.

Well that's what's on my mind. What are you guys using with your Phaez Amps?

hipofutura

Reaction score
I have a pair of 12" Weber 12A150 alnicos in an open back combo cab with a Daisycutter.

Had a pair of Weber British Series 1225 ceramics, copies of Celestion G12M-25 Greenbacks, but didn't like them.

rocknhorse1

Reaction score
I have Scumbacks that I run in a 2 X 12 cab. I have the "H" series, an H75, and an H55. They are clones of the 60's version of the G12H30. The H55 has the 55hz bass cone. They sound nothing like the new production Celestion G12H30's, much fuller, warmer, less harsh and grainy.
I also have a Scumback Scumnico alnico. It is a clone of the 60's Celestion G12 Alnico (think the Beano album). I run that with an H75, but I also like it paired with the H55.
The H55/H75 combo is what I ran until I got the Scumnico, and that is a great pairing as well, a little more "in your face" but in a good way...Full on ceramic sound as opposed to having the softer feel of the alnico.
I would really take a look at the Scumbacks for a SIBLY if you want that old superlead tone. They also make the "M" series which are clones of the G12M from the same time period. The M's sound great as well, a little darker, and a little looser in the bottom. Some guys like the H75/M75 combo in a 2 X 12.
There are a ton of clips on his website to check out.

Ed B

Reaction score
Ahhh my next decision. Speakers! The MLP/35 is going to need a nice pair.

I did order my first Weber the other day. 10A100 for the Stowaway. Can't wait to try these speakers. After all the great reviews I'm excited.

Now I need to get the cab(s) under way. Waaaay behind. :shock:

tojo

Reaction score
I ran an Eminence something or other with my DC prior to getting the 15W Scumnico in a 1x12. The Scumnico wins hands down - not even close. It will stand the hair up on the back of your neck at times. It's that good. :thumb:

I then got another Scumback loaded 1x12, with a 12" H75 with the large dust cap after I got the Dragon Fly.

I also have a Weber 10A100 in a 1x10 that I use primarily with the two Champs I have but I have also run it with the two Phaez amps and the Cyg as well and really liked it - a very versatile, warm speaker with a great bottom end.

Again, the DC really sounds great with the Scumnico (as does the Cyg7.) :wow:

The DragonFly, for my ears, sounds better with the H75 alone than it does with the Scumnico alone. Paired together, the speakers sound nice as well but I seem to prefer the H75 by itself with the D-Fly. It has a raw, powerful sound to it that is hard for me to describe but it seems to fit the amp very nicely.

At some point in the near future, I will build a 2x12 at which point I will have a hard time deciding what to put in it. Though I have received some strong recomendations from other members (see above) regarding the Weber 12A150's being potentially a great fit for the D-Fly. That will likely be my route.

For a SIBLY though, I would think the Scumnico would be hard to beat in a 1x12.

Ed B

Reaction score
I love this thread!! My wife won't. :laugh2:

onioner

Reaction score
Not a whole lot of variation here...

The DC has a Weber 10A100. I can't imagine something better suited. Well, ok, I'd kinda like to also have something british, and fat, with rougher compression, and a chunkier feel, but that's "also," not "instead."

The Corona has nothing worthy yet, though I'm leaning heavily towards another vintage series Weber. Lots of options here too, but I'm so thrilled with the Weber I have, that why rock the boat...

DrakeZero

Reaction score
I use 1 Celestion Vintage 30 paired with a celestion Alnico Gold 12 inch speaker. Find it to be a good balance of a crunch speaker with a bright sounding one.

bufbills

Reaction score
Phaez JTM18
Lopo with WGS ET65 and a Vet 30.

These speakers are sounding better every day. These are great for crunch and in the closed back cab the bass response is fantastic. While searching for speakers, WGS should not be overlooked.

Tuya Customs

Reaction score
I have Rich's combo but in the 10" version. Very big bottom for tens. Biggest I've heard actually. Lots of low mids too. And the Highs are super smooth.

SludgeBurns

Reaction score
Would you think a single 25-30w speaker will be okay in the SIBLY?

rocknhorse1

Reaction score
Would you think a single 25-30w speaker will be okay in the SIBLY?

No, unless you are playing at low volumes. If you like to run your amps loud (high master settings) then I would get at least double the wattage. I run two 30 watt speakers for a 60 watt 2 X 12 for my JTM18.

SludgeBurns

Reaction score
No, unless you are playing at low volumes. If you like to run your amps loud (high master settings) then I would get at least double the wattage. I run two 30 watt speakers for a 60 watt 2 X 12 for my JTM18.

Thanks, I like to play loud so you're right, that probably wouldn't be a good idea.

Buggaluggs

Reaction score
I have a Hiwatt style 25W/40W (no name yet from Randy) driving a pair of Fanes. Very nice. The Fanes (Axa12 & Medusa 12) have imense bottom end and an unflustered high end. They were expensive, especially when compared to offerings from Weber, but I have been very impressed. Then I have a blackdaisy 8W driving a pair of Webers in an open back 2x12. A 12A100 and a 12A125. I might replace one of these with a 12F125, but it is early days with this cab and it certainly sounds good. I also have a 50W Weber Alnico bluedog getting a re-cone. He will go back into a very raucus 1x12 that will see action with both amps.

Natco1.jpg

Natco2.jpg

singlecut

Reaction score
today it's a hellatone 12 with my 14 watter.
who knows what tomorrow brings.

ExpatBrit

Reaction score
Classic combination here - 1 G12H and 1 Vintage 30 in an Avatar 2x12. With my 18W Daisycutter it sounds amazing.

SludgeBurns

Reaction score
I just bought a Weber Legacy series with Scumback H75 specs on eBay. I see there is some controversy surrounding these but it's exactly what I was looking for to put in a 1x12 for the SIBLY so I'm not going to let that bother me. It should be a great speaker.

Can't wait!

JMAnz

Reaction score
I run my SIBLY with an Eminence GB12 in a closed 1x12. It sounds pretty sweet. I've also tried my buddy's open 1x12 with Cannabis Rex (a little dark, and I didn't like the open back sound, but then again I never do) and his closed 1x12 with a WGS Retro 30 (sounded great for cleans, but I didn't like it for my dirty tones, seemed to loose a bit of character). I've also used another buddy's Mesa 4x12 loaded with Vintage 30s. I've gotta admit that was my favorite sounding combination so far. I'm planning on building a 2nd 1x12 with a Vintage 30 (prob just gonna buy a Hellatone 60 as they're cheaper and already broken in).

rocknhorse1

Reaction score
I just bought a Weber Legacy series with Scumback H75 specs on eBay. I see there is some controversy surrounding these but it's exactly what I was looking for to put in a 1x12 for the SIBLY so I'm not going to let that bother me. It should be a great speaker.

Can't wait!

If they are the same as the Scumbacks, then that speaker should sound killer. I haven't heard any comparisons, so I don't know. I know my Scumback H75 is awesome....they all are.:thumb:

Latest Threads