Pg blues out of phase sound on guitar with one volume and tone?

BKS

Reaction score
Above

I thought it needed 2 volumes? But saw clip on youtube of a guy using a guitar with master volume and tone.

Oranjeaap

Reaction score
I think the only requirement is that both pickups are on together, a.k.a. the middle position.

Reactions: BKS

ErictheRed

Reaction score
You just need out of phase pickups, that's all. I'm sure that having two volume and tone controls would help to blend them in more nicely and find a sweet spot, but all you really need for the fundamental sound are two out of phase pickups that are on together.

BKS

Reaction score
So it would be fine putting the BK PG blues in my custom shop les paul dc pro?

jlee

Reaction score
It would work fine with one master volume and tone, but it’s nice to be able to dial in more of the neck pickup and vice versa. More variety of tones.

Oranjeaap

Reaction score
You just need out of phase pickups, that's all. I'm sure that having two volume and tone controls would help to blend them in more nicely and find a sweet spot, but all you really need for the fundamental sound are two out of phase pickups that are on together.
The pickups he mentioned in the title are wired out of phase

So it would be fine putting the BK PG blues in my custom shop les paul dc pro?
Yes

Basicly the two pickups cancel eachother out when they're on at the same time. If you have 2 volume controls you can kinda control how much they cancel eachother out, it gives an extra touch that can be nice. But for the real out of phase sound you just need the two pickups on at the same time both at same volume. When you have 1 volume they're always the same level which is nice because you can have full out of phase at full range of the knob. When you have 2 volumes you basicly only have out of phase when they're both on max volume because nobody is gonna turn both knobs to 5 during a song, its just not convenient

Oranjeaap

Reaction score
Not sure if I explained it clear enough but in short: With 2 volumes, more tonal variations are possible. With 1 volume you have maximum out of phase tone at any volume making your life a lot easier.
So whatever you prefer

I have a set of pg blues ready to install in my ES 335 and now I'm thinking I might go with 1 master volume instead of 2 because I think it's way more practical.

BKS

Reaction score
The pickups he mentioned in the title are wired out of phase

Yes

Basicly the two pickups cancel eachother out when they're on at the same time. If you have 2 volume controls you can kinda control how much they cancel eachother out, it gives an extra touch that can be nice. But for the real out of phase sound you just need the two pickups on at the same time both at same volume. When you have 1 volume they're always the same level which is nice because you can have full out of phase at full range of the knob. When you have 2 volumes you basicly only have out of phase when they're both on max volume because nobody is gonna turn both knobs to 5 during a song, its just not convenient
She ;) :laugh2: :laugh2: :laugh2: :laugh2:

I think they will be nice in my butterscotch dc pro. :thumb:

Dazza

Reaction score
An example of OOP with 1 Master Volume is Brian May. It works fine for him - though guitarists performing in the 'We Will Rock You' stage musical have a boost pedal when using that tone to help compensate for the drop in signal output. With 2 pickups at the same level in OOP you have maximum frequency cancellation and thus output loss.

With 1 volume you still can fine tune the amount of OOP by raising/lowering the relative heights between the 2 pickups and consider the relative output of each pickup. A hotter neck pickup than bridge makes for great OOP tones in comparison to 2 similar output pickups in my experiences.

With 2 volumes I would typically leave the neck around 8 and adjust the bridge to taste.

Daz

OldBenKenobi

Reaction score
The Fender Mustang has master volume and tone and OOP is one of its main gimmicks.

Latest Threads