Votes: 23 33.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

VictorB

Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile
Super Mod
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
And for the record, this more so aimed at the for sale/business classifieds section. There is NO reason to make us leave a for sale thread up for an item that has already sold.

Well, it's a testament to your business, if people want to see what you've sold previously.

Shoot me a pm when you want something gone.

PINKBITS

Reaction score
Not really...

Not to name drop, but TGP is probably close to 10x as large as the MyLesPaul forum and it is ran flawlessly. And guess what? You delete and edit your own threads. I bet it also generates over 10x as much money as MLP.

And like I have stated, why would you NOT want to be able to? Nobody said you had to.

I fail to see how a forums member or income producing capacity is relevant.

notoperational

Reaction score
Well, it's a testament to your business, if people want to see what you've sold previously.

Shoot me a pm when you want something gone.

I don't think any of our site sponsors need any testimonials. The testament to me is seeing all my happy customers posting threads about the new ____ that hey got from me that they are in love with :) That says more than any old thread ever will.

I'll let Bb or you know, but 9/10... Simply being able to edit/add to my original postings would be a big help. I wanted to have a Gibson thread for example. But, I can't do that because I cannot edit it and replace the sold guitars with new ones.

I fail to see how a forums member or income producing capacity is relevant.

It's not a matter of the owner not producing a good income for himself, but it's a pretty valid point... Why would you not want your site to be the best it could be? If you could make a few changes and create more revenue wouldn't you?

There are typos in your post. Better hurry before you can't fix'em ;)

PINKBITS

Reaction score
I don't think any of our site sponsors need any testimonials. The testament to me is seeing all my happy customers posting threads about the new ____ that hey got from me that they are in love with :) That says more than any old thread ever will.

I'll let Bb or you know, but 9/10... Simply being able to edit/add to my original postings would be a big help. I wanted to have a Gibson thread for example. But, I can't do that because I cannot edit it and replace the sold guitars with new ones.

It's not a matter of the owner not producing a good income for himself, but it's a pretty valid point... Why would you not want your site to be the best it could be? If you could make a few changes and create more revenue wouldn't you?

There are typos in your post. Better hurry before you can't fix'em ;)

"Best" in this case is obviously subjective :cool:

I highly doubt that by Alex making this change, he would notice an increase in revenue.

I take you back to the train wreck threads. Entertainment attracts members/revenue.

As LZF has said. If you need a thread deleted or modified. Shoot one of the Mods a PM.

LongBeach

Reaction score
I agree you should be able to edit your own thread any time you see fit.(and I thought you could?) But not delete it. Someone is more than likely going to quote you prior to you getting around to deleting whatever you posted. So, it's going to stay put either way.

On the for sale stuff, I also agree to delete it.
On standard forum stuff, honestly, who cares, its the internet.

AXE

Six String Soldier
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score

stinger

Reaction score
In the classified section I do think deleting the thread would be fine. But not in the general area. The chance for mischief is high.

As for editing, I read my own post so I can see if I need to correct something. I don't wait a day later. There is plenty of opportunity to edit your own post before the editing ability expires. You just gotta read your own post right away.

KSG_Standard

Reaction score
Quotards!

I just had to, someone said it was trendy!:thumb:

I don't think people should be allowed to delete their own threads, if you post something and get replies, you shouldn't be able to change it...it is what it is. There was a douchebag on another forum I used to visit, who would change his posts and threads in the middle of the night...it made everything confusing and made other people's replies seem out of place...It was weird.:slash:

Drudeboy

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I vote absolutely no, it's just not the way it should be done. Everyone is a genius in retrospect. If you commit to post, you have a period of time to edit errors, then that's it. So engage brain before posting.

For typos, there is ample chance to edit, so it's wrong to cater for slackness

In the trading/selling threads, it's a different thing entirely but I don't know if vBulletin allows to change privileges in just a small part of the forum

notoperational

Reaction score
Like I have said before guys, this is more oriented towards the for sale/business classifieds area.

If making it so that we could edit/delete that, means making the whole site free reign to edit/delete as you please, then so be it. It needs to be done.

DagerOne

Reaction score
I'm of the exact opposite opinion. For Sale/Classifieds are the LEAST sensible place to allow it. Someone posts a guitar for sale with pictures, they sell the guitar, then they edit the post to put different photos in place of the originals...the buyer gets a guitar that looks nothing like what was originally pictured, but is well-represented by the new, edited-post photos. Bad idea.

(Yes, I realize there's already a way around this...but even forgetting about photos, the description itself could be changed)

jeff_farkas

Reaction score
Like I have said before guys, this is more oriented towards the for sale/business classifieds area.

If making it so that we could edit/delete that, means making the whole site free reign to edit/delete as you please, then so be it. It needs to be done.

Ah,.,, no. This place is nuts as it is without having threads being deleted randomly.

Jeff :rolleyes:

River

Reaction score
Nope. I see both sides of the argument, but nah - it's too much of a paradigm shift.

notoperational

Reaction score
Ah,.,, no. This place is nuts as it is without having threads being deleted randomly.

It's nuts? This is a fairly small forum in comparison to other places... And they definitely aren't nuts. If it is 'nuts' its due to a lack of proper, or maybe just a lack in general of good moderation (not a knock on a present moderators).

dennistruckdriver

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score

What difference does it make if we delete them ourselves or if they just 'magically' disappear, as some of mine have done on occasion?

!Dv

Reaction score
I say No, on the basis that it's the lesser of two evils.

Three reasons:

1) Choice is something I am always in favour of. Denial of choice, I am against. For one person to delete his own post, I think that should absolutely be allowed, as it is his choice to delete his own thing. For one person to delete the numerous posts of other people removes choice from all those folk, so, by utiltarian principle, it is wrong.

2) Having a record of things is good. Information, deals, whatever. More content also means more Google exposure, while dead links actually harm a Google Pagerank. Deleting stuff will reduce the number of newbies.

3) It destroys a sense of security. I've seen a forum where users can delete threads on a whim (not even just the OP - if any two members click the Delete button, it's gone), and it just leads to people not caring about threads, or what they say in them, since they know they'll be gone soon enough anyway. That particular forum became an extremely hostile and unpleasant place towards the end of my stay there, I think largely because of how easy it was to delete things people had taken their time to compose their thoughts for. It sucked.

So, yeah, I'm against it. I've often liked to delete my own threads, but it would almost always have been, if I'm to be honest, a selfish act. A good community can't have that. So count me out of the petition.

Latest Threads