Peter Green sound

db3266

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys, I have a traditional Les Paul (2009) and I play through a Mini Z.
I would like to try and produce the Peter Green sound. Is it possible to get this via an effects pedal? I know he achieved his sound with reverse polarity pickups etc. But I'd like to know if there are other ways of getting the sound.

I'm in the process of buildings my effects board, so far, it has a T-Rex Room Mate and a T-Rex Mudhoney II.

The PG sound sounds like a compressed OD, so should I get a Compressor pedal (which one? Keeley?) or something else?

Cheers!!

V!N

Reaction score
Though nothing beats the real thing, a Varitone with carefully selected values for the caps can get you an out of phase (ish) sound. You could stick one in a box with a footswitch and since it's a passive device, you'll never have to worry about batteries or power at all ! Unless you need an LED to tell you it's on or off.
Another option is a well dialled in graphic or (semi) parametric equalizer pedal. Mind you, this sounds and feels really artificial when playing.

Instead of going for even more artificial stuff, you might want to try and work with the natural compression from your amp and the Mudhoney first.

db3266

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
OK Cheers.
Might therefor ger a set of Bare Knuckle PG Blues and be done with it :hmm:

Lampens

Reaction score
Just swap your neck pickup magnet around. I've done it by way of an experiment on my epi lp and it works. It isn't that hard. Just be careful with prying of the cover and getting out the magnet. It only works then with both pickups selected. Turning down the volume on one pickup almost immediately makes you lose the sound. So a normal in between sound is still sort of possible also.

mrbluesy1

Reaction score
I too like PG. To get his sound I think its essential that you have a good delay and reverb. If you dont have on your amp you should look for pedals.

Beerdog80

Banned
Reaction score
Just swap your neck pickup magnet around. I've done it by way of an experiment on my epi lp and it works. It isn't that hard. Just be careful with prying of the cover and getting out the magnet. It only works then with both pickups selected. Turning down the volume on one pickup almost immediately makes you lose the sound. So a normal in between sound is still sort of possible also.

what he said. I did this to one of other LP's and it was an awesome adjustment to that guitars tone. Very useful trick. :thumb:

2009LPGT

Reaction score
Magnet swap is the single largest thing you can do to get his sound. I did the Sheptone PG thing and am tickled pink!! Oh, blackface voiced amp with varying doses of reverb goes a long way as well. Just enough drive fom the amp or pedal to allow you to have clean stuff when playing softly and jump into breakup when you dig in. The guitars tone and volume controls is where many of those PG nuances come from. The rest is learning to play like he does, good luck my friend! :)

jlee

Reaction score
Oh, blackface voiced amp with varying doses of reverb goes a long way as well.

Or a Matamp or Orange Matamp. Albatross was recorded with a Series 2000 and matching reverb unit. Then Play On was recorded with bigger Orange Matamps and Orange Matamp Reverb Units. Live is a different story as they often rented backlines while in the States.

TnT~55

Reaction score
You can also install a push pull pot if your pickups have 2 or 4 conductor wire.

Smedley Smorganoff

Reaction score
I prefer the out of phase pickups, but I've heard a pretty convincing PG nasal sound with the Dunlop Q Zone pedal. Pretty much the cocked-wah sound.

Allkos

Reaction score
It's an easy enough mod to do on your guitar, adding a switch or flipping the magnet. But if you just want a pedal to get you kind of there a cocked wah is probably the best alternative. Just a basic wah positioned where you want it or there are some pedals that are the same circuit but with a knob instead of a pedal. Mod kits DIY makes a nice sounding one if you are up for soldering. TEA Philter. Don't have one myself but sounds descent enough on YouTube.

Good luck.

kevinpaul

Reaction score
I put a little three dollar switch on my ESP with two humbuckers. I just switch the ground and power around. Sounds the same as a magnet flip.

Batman

Reaction score
So we're all responding to a 6 year old thread where the OP hasn't been seen since 2013. . .awesome.

TheX

Doctor Jimmy
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
So we're all responding to a 6 year old thread where the OP hasn't been seen since 2013. . .awesome.

Yes, so you don't have to tell them to use the search.

Smedley Smorganoff

Reaction score
I like being mischievous ;)

The old Music Man amps with built-in phaser had a pull-out knob that you can freeze the tone while it's in the middle of the sweep. When the sweep was completely out of phase, pull out the knob and voila. That'd be cool if that was available in a pedal form. Slightly different than changing the tone filter with a wah circuit.

But yea, using a push/pull pot on your guitar to switch in/out of phase would be very cost-efficient if you wanna keep the in-phase tones.

st.bede

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
(Wow, this is an old thread). I think what would be cool (and super expensive), would be to run a Little Labs IBP and adjust the phase accordingly.

Latest Threads