Peter Green, RIP

Marshall & Moonshine

Reaction score
He was great, but I haven’t listened to his stuff in probably 2 years, and that was for an afternoon.

Chicago Matt

Reaction score
So sad to hear this. I just recently became reacquainted with his early work with Fleetwood Mac. I agree with B.B. King about his angelic tone. A few weeks ago I flipped the neck pickup magnet to get his trademark out of phase tone in the middle switch position of my Les Paul. He was a true innovator, song writer and guitarist, with a lovely singing voice - a big inspiration to us aspiring guitarists in that day and ever since. Thank you, Peter. RIP.

Oldskoolrob

Reaction score
Aw that sucks. RIP Greeny - you continue to be an insiration.

cooljuk

Transducer Producer
Premium Member
Reaction score
Oh crap. I had better charge a bunch of magnets backwards. There's gonna be a run on 'em!

R.I.P.

Here's one of my favorites....

Someone smarter than me, help me out - are those amps two drip edge Deluxes, one sitting on a Fender extension cab and one sitting on a Supro extension cab?

bungle

Reaction score
Damn, Greg Koch posted about this today:( RIP

Guitar Rod

Reaction score
Sad to see a legend like him pass. This is going to be a difficult decade when it comes to music legends. RIP Peter.

fleahead

Reaction score
Met him a few times, first in Frankfurt at the Messe, then in Chicago. He graciously let me record a station ID for a radio station, never got it to them but I think I still have the tape...

He was a gentleman although Nigel tended to hog leads....I will forever be grateful to have been in his shadow.

(edit) I'll add that when I met Peter in Frankfurt I only had the images of what he looked like the way we all remember him..... so before he goes on (I think it was the first time he'd played live in 25 or so years) I met him and because I was not expecting to meet him was shocked at this senior citizen with grey bushy sideboards who was portly and short who was shaking my hand, lol..... it was like time traveling fast forward.... he was so very nervous and it was an honour.

Last edited:

NotScott

Reaction score
Mike Vernon, John Mayall's producer on the Beano album, " In my estimation, Peter Green was just the very best blues guitarist this country has ever produced.”

Stan Webb (guitarist, Chicken Shack) backstage at a music festival they were playing with Cream: “I remember Peter and me were talking about the price of beer. Peter was wearing a white T-shirt and blue jeans, and Eric Clapton came over to us wearing a bed spread, rings on every finger, his frizzy hair sticking out six inches, and said to Peter, 'You’ll never be a star if you dress like that.' Peter just smiled. And that sums it up.”

Melody Maker (review) of the first Fleetwood Mac album: “This is the best English blues LP ever released.”

Noel Gallagher "With all due respect to the other great British blues artists, Peter Green is THE man. End of."

B.B. King talking about Peter Green "He was the only one who gave me the cold sweats.”

Midnight Blues

Reaction score
A very, very sad day indeed. Without question, one of the best.

R.I.P. Peter and thank you for all the great music you made.

Just a couple of my many favorites:

I know many will disagree with me, or may not even like what I'm about to type, but just as Jeff Beck is my favorite guitarist to come out of the Yardbirds, Peter Green was my favorite guitarist to come out of John Mayall & The Blues Breakers.

Last edited:

Bluesky

Reaction score
Words fail me.
Music will never be the same for me.

I'm not giving up hope yet!!

"Jane and Peter had one daughter, Rosebud Samuels-Greenbaum, who was born in 1978.

Green also has a son, Liam Firlej."

Someone get rosebud and Liam a guitar if they haven't already!!

NotScott

Reaction score
A very, very sad day indeed. Without question, one of the best.

R.I.P. Peter and thank you for all the great music you made.

Just a couple of my many favorites:

I know many will disagree with me, or may not even like what I'm about to type, but just as Jeff Beck is my favorite guitarist to come out of the Yardbirds, Peter Green was my favorite guitarist to come out of John Mayall & The Blues Breakers.

Peter Green was also my favorite Mayall player too, but he was only Mayall's second best guitar player. Buddy Whittington was Mayall's best. :bowdown

Oldskoolrob

Reaction score
Oh crap. I had better charge a bunch of magnets backwards. There's gonna be a run on 'em!

R.I.P.

Here's one of my favorites....

Someone smarter than me, help me out - are those amps two drip edge Deluxes, one sitting on a Fender extension cab and one sitting on a Supro extension cab?
Peter Green was fantastic no doubt. But for me this clip always reminds me that I preferred Danny's playing. RIP to them both.

Latest Threads