Peter Green, RIP

Lefty Adams

Reaction score

Fleetwood Mac co-founder Peter Green has died aged 73.

Solicitors acting on behalf of his family said in a statement: "It is with great sadness that the family of Peter Green announce his death this weekend, peacefully in his sleep.

"A further statement will be provided in the coming days."

Blues rock guitarist Green, from Bethnal Green in east London, formed Fleetwood Mac with drummer Mick Fleetwood in 1967.

Green left the band after a last performance in 1970, as he struggled with his mental health. He was eventually diagnosed with schizophrenia and spent time in hospital in the mid-70s.

He was among the eight members of the band - along with Fleetwood, Stevie Nicks, Lindsey Buckingham, John McVie, Christine McVie, Danny Kirwan and Jeremy Spencer - who were inducted into the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame in 1998.

In February this year, artists including Fleetwood, Pink Floyd's David Gilmour, ZZ Top's Billy Gibbons and guitarists Jonny Lang and Andy Fairweather Low performed at the London Palladium in a gig celebrating the early years of Fleetwood Mac and its founder, Green.

Lefty Adams

Reaction score
Fleetwood Mac co-founder Peter Green has died aged 73.

Solicitors acting on behalf of his family said in a statement: "It is with great sadness that the family of Peter Green announce his death this weekend, peacefully in his sleep.

"A further statement will be provided in the coming days."

Blues rock guitarist Green, from Bethnal Green in east London, formed Fleetwood Mac with drummer Mick Fleetwood in 1967.

Green left the band after a last performance in 1970, as he struggled with his mental health. He was eventually diagnosed with schizophrenia and spent time in hospital in the mid-70s.

He was among the eight members of the band - along with Fleetwood, Stevie Nicks, Lindsey Buckingham, John McVie, Christine McVie, Danny Kirwan and Jeremy Spencer - who were inducted into the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame in 1998.

In February this year, artists including Fleetwood, Pink Floyd's David Gilmour, ZZ Top's Billy Gibbons and guitarists Jonny Lang and Andy Fairweather Low performed at the London Palladium in a gig celebrating the early years of Fleetwood Mac and its founder, Green.

GeeJay

Reaction score
Very sad news. Peter was an amazing guitarist....

RIP Peter, you will be missed.

TheX

just some do0d
Premium Member
Reaction score
His influence will live for MANY years to come.

NotScott

Reaction score
This is sad news. Peter Green was my favorite of all the British blues guys and a huge influence on me. He was the guy that bridged the gap between BB King and Gary Moore. Now that all 3 of them are gone, it is definitely a closed book in the history of music.

TM1

Reaction score
News from across the pond this morning that Peter Green has passed.. Peter was the Founder of Fleetwood Mac.
R.I.P. Peter Thanks for everything You gave us!

TM1

Reaction score
Sad! R.I.P. Mr. Greenbaum! Thanks for everything You gave us!

TheX

just some do0d
Premium Member
Reaction score
Already a thread

EasyAce

Reaction score
I often tell people I'd like to be the third-greatest Jewish blues guitarist when I grow up.

Mike Bloomfield was number one, Peter Green number two.

RIP Greeny. Yours is still the only Fleetwood Mac that matters to me. And it always will be.

herzog

Reaction score
Just saw this - brought a lot of joy to me (and millions of others, of course) and his music helped me navigate some sticky periods in my life.

Shrine '69 tonight. Tone is out of this world...

dc007

Premium Member
Reaction score
Sad day. What a player he was. RIP Peter

PeteK

Reaction score
Damn. I was late to the Peter Green party as I had no idea Fleetwood Mac existed prior to Stevie Knicks (not being facetious,I really didn't know they were around for so long). But once I learned about this mysterious Peter Green guy, I went down a pretty deep rabbit hole listening to his music. Sad to hear he's gone. RIP

Latest Threads