Peter Frampton "The Phenix" Custom Shop Model

TXOldRedRocker

Tech pays the bills. Not a fan of tech.
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had a feeling there was marketing behind the sudden appearance of 10 year old Frampton videos in my YT feed.

Yep.

That and his book. He's been promoting his book like almost no one I've ever seen. He's everywhere. His name appears in lots algorithms these days.

Midnight Blues

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
That and his book. He's been promoting his book like almost no one I've ever seen. He's everywhere. His name appears in lots algorithms these days.

Take a look at the NAMM video JC did. FCA is hanging on he wall behind him.

Midnight Blues

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not surprising to me really, but in the Vox interview, he's asked "Les Paul or 335?" Frampton responds: "If I only had one guitar?" "335."

He used a 335 with Humble Pie and has said on numerous occasions that he didn't like Les Pauls. Until of course that fateful day at the Fillmore West and he had the feedback issues with his 335,. Enter Mark Mariana and the rest, as they say, is history.

Last edited:

Midnight Blues

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score

Very cool TX, thanks for that!

My memory is horrible, but I don't recall hearing/reading about the $5K before?

I meant to mention this before, but it looks like the binding is antique/aged? Since it's not a reissue of "The Phenix" as it exists today, I rather have the white binding (like our's), so it would look like "The Phenix" in it's younger days.

If you're so inclined, please post the video in the Frampton Appreciation thread as well.

Thanks for the post and :cheers2:

Last edited:

TXOldRedRocker

Tech pays the bills. Not a fan of tech.
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Very cool TX, thanks for that!

My memory is horrible, but I don't recall hearing/reading about the $5K before?

I meant to mention this before, but it looks like the binding is antique/aged? Since it's not a reissue of "The Phenix" as it exists today, I rather have the white binding (like our's), so it would look like "The Phenix" in it's younger days.

If you're so inclined, please post the video in the Frampton Appreciation thread as well.

Thanks for the post and :cheers2:

I posted it there before here.

:cheers2:

Midnight Blues

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Gibson TV just published an interview with Peter Frampton my understanding is that this i neither Custom Shop nor a limited run. It’s a Gibson USA model which will stay in the catalog.

You're right as far as it staying in the catalog and I'm likely wrong, but it sounds to me like it's going to be available through the Custom Shop.

:cheers2:

nkd

Reaction score
I too switched from a MIJ 335 to a MIJ Les Paul Custom in the early 70's, as Peter Frampton, due to feedback issues.

Latest Threads