Peter Frampton "The Phenix" Custom Shop Model

Midnight Blues

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just finished watching this:

Sounds like Gibson may be releasing "The Phenix" as a Custom Shop Model, over and above the original 35 they issued.

:applause: :applause: :applause:

strat1701

El Diablo Cazador De Hombres
Reaction score
I thought they already did a Phoenix version of it when it was eventually found a few years back? I remember they did an aged/signed run but that was just an aged custom, not 'fire damaged'

Midnight Blues

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I thought they already did a Phoenix version of it when it was eventually found a few years back? I remember they did an aged/signed run but that was just an aged custom, not 'fire damaged'
They did a few years ago. It was aged as it looked when he got it back and signed. There were only 35 made. What it sounded like today on the Vox YT Channel interview, is that Gibson is going to make a Custom Shop model available.

We'll see...

Thanks for the post and :cheers2:

bblooz

Reaction score
Saw Peter play that one at a gig in our town a couple years ago. He actually spent a little time talking about how it was lost and then recovered. Cool (but sad for those who perished) story, and great sounding guitar. Love the guy, and he played some stuff from his Humble Pie days, as well as some tunes from his Grammy-winning Instrumental album. He also did a tribute rendition of "Black Hole Sun" to Chris Cornell, who had tragically and recently died in Detroit while on tour.

Midnight Blues

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Saw Peter play that one at a gig in our town a couple years ago. He actually spent a little time talking about how it was lost and then recovered. Cool (but sad for those who perished) story, and great sounding guitar. Love the guy, and he played some stuff from his Humble Pie days, as well as some tunes from his Grammy-winning Instrumental album. He also did a tribute rendition of "Black Hole Sun" to Chris Cornell, who had tragically and recently died in Detroit while on tour.
Very cool blooz!

I've seen him a number of times over the years, including a couple before "FCA" was released (he was still a warm-up act then) and several times since. I've met him a few times too. One in particular was in Albany, NY, in 2012, a week or two before the show at the Beacon Theatre, in NYC. My wife and I were at that show too and that was the show where he "debuted" "The Phenix" for the first time since he had gotten it back. We even made a cameo appearance on the video he released of the show (which also has footage of the show he did in Milwaukee at the Pabst Theater). I can't remember which songs, but there are a couple of times where you can see our backs. :laugh2: :laugh2: :laugh2:

Usually when he speaks about the plane crash, he mentions how tragic it was that there was a loss of life.

He's really a considerate guy.

DeafDumbBlind Kid

Reaction score
I hope it's not going to be limited to just a few again. However, seeing what all the other Artist tribute releases (Adam Jones, Hendrix, etc) are going for, it's probably going to be like 10G if not more.

Part of the reason why I bought my Joe Bonamassa Black Beauty triple pickup Les Paul Custom was to convert it to an affordable Phenix of my own. Unfortunately I'm stuck on the tuners as the old school Epiphone tuners have a different screw hole placement on the back of the headstock than that of Grovers. No change wthout some modification.

rockstar232007

Reaction score
So, looks like a standard/USA production LPC with three pickups and cream plastic. Super thin neck, though.
The original Frampton model was chambered. I wonder if this one is going to be solid?

If so, you can find the original model for between $3-$4K.

Midnight Blues

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
The original Frampton model was chambered. I wonder if this one is going to be solid?

If so, you can find the original model for between $3-$4K.
You're right rs, it is chambered and I believe it has a maple cap? I have one and I love it!

I don't know why, but I get the impression that the new one might be solid? He does say it's lighter than "The Phenix", so...

Midnight Blues

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I hope it's not going to be limited to just a few again. However, seeing what all the other Artist tribute releases (Adam Jones, Hendrix, etc) are going for, it's probably going to be like 10G if not more.

Part of the reason why I bought my Joe Bonamassa Black Beauty triple pickup Les Paul Custom was to convert it to an affordable Phenix of my own. Unfortunately I'm stuck on the tuners as the old school Epiphone tuners have a different screw hole placement on the back of the headstock than that of Grovers. No change wthout some modification.
It didn't sound like it was going to be a limited run. My impression is that it's going to be available through the Custom Shop, so if it's not a normal production type fun, you'd be able to order it.

Thanks for the post DDB and :cheers2:

Midnight Blues

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
He's always seemed like a genuine and decent human. Dude's also aging pretty gracefully, relative to a lot of my parents' generation.
Hey, I resemble that remark! :laugh2:

My wife and I have met him a few times over the years and he's been more than gracious each time.

Thanks for the post kakerlak and :cheers2:

CB91710

Double Platinum Supporting Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had a feeling there was marketing behind the sudden appearance of 10 year old Frampton videos in my YT feed.

Yep.

Latest Threads