Pete Townshend Deluxe

ajory72

Reaction score
Well i'll be damned if Yngwei Malmsteen gets the last pic on a thread about Pete's customs.. :D

Anyway here is Pete looking good - in his prime - no doubt wondering who let Keith Moon sing...

ajory72

Reaction score
I notice in his early days using he used Rickenbackers like the 335 - which had 3 pick-ups - also some fenders, the Coral Hornet - al 3 pup guitars, and apart form his SG's I wonder if her decided the Les Paul customs just had the balls and diversity to have another pick-up to flavour the sound to his taste?

Be good to hear what his thoughts on it are/were.

ajory72

Reaction score
That would be a 330 which had 2 pickups,

Or the Ric 1998 that had 3,

Your right of course - it was a 345 not 330 I was thinking of, he played a lot of diff models. What interests me is his modifying the Deluxe to fit in with his obvious love of 3 pup guitars - they look cool as and no doubt gave him some tonez to play with...

I wonder why he loved the options so much - as he doesnt seem to be the "tweek while you play" type - but maybe i'm missing his subtle technique... or maybe as I've read he used every type of pick up there is - and no doubt coil tapped - out of phaze etc. and wanted to capture that on stage to better capture his recordings in the studio..... Or maybe because they just look freaking awesome!....

Who

I'm back. Back in the New York groove.
Reaction score
The middle pickup on the Les Pauls was adjusted to give a lot of feedback.

It was used as a sound-effect/noise maker, not for subtlety.

http://www.premierguitar.com/articles/Pete_Townshend_On_Guitar_Smashing_Regrets_Stylistic_Evolution_and_Becoming_a_Gear_Aficionado
The middle pickup is meant to be set close to the strings to allow instant feedback. It is on a separate on-off switch to allow machine-gun staccato effects. The other two small humbuckers are wired in the conventional Gibson manner but with a phase switch. In the studio I could get almost any sound I wanted with that guitar.

http://www.thewho.net/whotabs/gear/guitar/marshallstack.html
“I used to play at this place where I put my amp on the piano, so the speaker was right opposite my guitar. One day, I was hitting this note and I was going ba-ba-bam and the amplifier was going u-ur-ur-ur on its own. I said to myself, ‘That’s fun. I’ll fool around with that.’ And I started to pretend I was an airplane. Everyone went completely crazy.

“I started to use it, I started to control it. I regulated the guitar so that the middle pickup was preamped on the inside with a battery and raised right onto the strings so that it would feed back as soon as I switched it on. And I could control it and go through all kinds of things.”

pmonk

Reaction score
The middle pickup on the Les Pauls was adjusted to give a lot of feedback.

It was used as a sound-effect/noise maker, not for subtlety.
And this is what separates the professionals from the posers!

PT most likely didn't care how the guitar looked, but how the guitar sounded!

martin H

Reaction score
Well, ....... thank your for your opinion. I'd be interested to know who you think were "groundbreaking" during the 65-67 period?
Reading an entire thread is not your strength, i gather?

..at least, you are not the first one to ask, and i have answered your question already:laugh2:

Humm. I assumed from your reply that I had missed some comprehensive analysis in one of you posts.

Re-reading you numerous posts in this thread, I found the following references to other bands :

1. "Can i liken them to Pink Floyd?

2. "I am totally old school, in that i only recognize Jimi Hendrix as breaking totally new ground with a guitar in that era."

Is that the total of you analysis of the groundbreaking artists in the period 65-67, or any other period for that matter - You like Hendrix, and mentioned Pink Floyd?

Wow , deep man! Sorry I missed you brilliance and asked for some sort of rationale for your views.

voggin

Reaction score
The thing I love most about Pete's playing is the way he fills the spaces just right. With Moon and Entwhistle, there was a hell of a lot going on, but then he'd throw in just the right chord riffage, if that's a term.

You'd be listening to a wall of complex drumming with the lead bass line and then, a KA-CHANG! of a chord, followed by a couple of staccato double-stops and then two or three notes and KA-CHANG! again, and then a lot of space.

Brilliant way to make a trio sound full but not over-busy, like Cream with all three blasting away full throttle (p.s., I'm a Cream fan, so that wasn't a diss). Nor was it full power-trio riff rock, like Zep or VH (again, not a diss, but a distinction).

You don't hear many people play like that because there aren't many bands where it would work. Listen to "The Real Me" on Quadrophenia. Bam-bada-blam bada BLAM BLAM BLAM when they all play together at the bridge, and then back to the bass lead, crazy drum and starker guitar parts.

P.S. I think Pete's greatest influence was on punk rock.

MrSepl

Reaction score
I purchased the 2005 Custom shop #1 about 4 months ago. It's great. I have yet to figure out how to upload a picture through this site. This beast is my favorite guitar.

Who

I'm back. Back in the New York groove.
Reaction score
Welcome Mr. Sepl!

moreles

Reaction score
Of course you can dismiss any artist you want. Claiming that the Who, or Dylan for crying out loud, are insignificant is just plain silly when you have a vast population who admire both and acknowledge massive influence culture-wide. If you didn't see or hear anything in their work, can't argue with that, but your disinterest does not diminish their impact or accomplishments.

pmonk

Reaction score
Yup. I've always thought that Pete was a punk rocker at heart.
I woke up in a Soho doorway
A policeman knew my name
He said you can go sleep at home tonight
If you can get up and walk away

I staggered back to the underground
And the breeze blew back my hair
I remember throwin' punches around
And preachin' from my chair

God bless you Pete Townshend (aka The Original Punk)

MrSepl

Reaction score
My apologies if there is already a thread about Pete's custom shop re-issues.

I've been pouring over his music, old Who videos, interviews and other assorted bibs and bobs and wanted to show off, what I think is the ultimate Norlin beast!

They must have been weighty guitars in the day and there are pics of one that was routed by Roger Daltrey to make it lighter - and although Pete plays a Strat mostly now it's good to see custom shop reproductions of his creation.

Does anyone have any Norlins they've modded to be like Pete's - care to post some pics - vids?

from the Music Zoo [no affiliation with me]

From Gum Tree [no affiliation with me]

the one Daltrey routed:

Burny FLG

Reaction score
Pete Townsend experiments for his own benefit. That's all I could ask of anyone creative.

Dilver

Reaction score
I love The Who and my ‘72 LP Deluxe. But Townshend’s greatest recorded guitar tones were mostly done on a Gretsch 6120 :)

Reactions: Who