Pete Townshend Deluxe

ajory72

Reaction score
My apologies if there is already a thread about Pete's custom shop re-issues.

I've been pouring over his music, old Who videos, interviews and other assorted bibs and bobs and wanted to show off, what I think is the ultimate Norlin beast!

They must have been weighty guitars in the day and there are pics of one that was routed by Roger Daltrey to make it lighter - and although Pete plays a Strat mostly now it's good to see custom shop reproductions of his creation.

Does anyone have any Norlins they've modded to be like Pete's - care to post some pics - vids?

from the Music Zoo [no affiliation with me]

From Gum Tree [no affiliation with me]

the one Daltrey routed:

Kris Ford

Reaction score
I don't have any intentionally modded to look like Pete's, but I DO have a '76 wine red Deluxe, which is practically a twin to this, without the mods of course. VERY similar lighter colored fretboard too.
(SN's are 492 numbers apart, but these were in NO way in numerical order anyways..)
Pete's '76:

My '76 Wine Red Deluxe:

Also, those Whotabs/Who collection pages have some VERY wrong info on the SGs regarding year of manufacture..it states large guard started in '66-'70, (it was '67), shows a '71 SG Deluxe as a 70 Custom??? (with a '72 pickup [and SN#] in it??,a couple of '69 Specials as '67 and '68's.. shows a modified small guard white SG as a post '67, and I quit looking after that..

Mayuiers

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Over the years I've seen The Who live a dozen times or so. With the way Pete flings his guitar I was always half expecting it to fall off of his strap at any moment. Not that it would have mattered much since the life expectancy on his guitars could be measured in minutes anyway. But I have always wondered about his method for attaching his strap.

Thanks for the pics !!!

kakao

Reaction score
I was never able to understand the significance of Peter Townsend and his music.
Very marginal character by all means. Yes, he was around when the big things were happening, but his contribution to the music remains minimal, because it never existed in the first place. Destroying guitars/amps is probably the only thing that he should be remembered for.

Great idea with the 3rd pickup in the middle BTW.

chasenblues

Reaction score
I was never able to understand the significance of Peter Townsend and his music.
Very marginal character by all means. Yes, he was around when the big things were happening, but his contribution to the music remains minimal, because it never existed in the first place. Destroying guitars/amps is probably the only thing that he should be remembered for.

:lol:

Reactions: Who

pmonk

Reaction score

pmonk

Reaction score
^^^^ I don't think he's sarcastic or stupid.

I feel similarly about Bob Dylan. I have zero clue why he's famous or considered good, much less influential. Yet people who knew that age better than I do saw Dylan as a real force.
I thinks one dislike colors people's opinions.

I can't stand Frank Zappa's music, but I would never question is legacy and/or influence to rock music.

Plus, one cannot question that Tommy, Who's Next and Quadrophenia is one of the greatest string of albums made in rock history.

Bobby Mahogany

Reaction score

Yeah but can you do this?

I didn't think so.
:D

I Can't Explain
My Generation
Summertime Blues (Cover)

Live at Leeds
Tommy
Who's Next
Quadrophenia

The Who's contribution is HUGE.

SHERIFF

Reaction score

listen to Quadrophenia properly, man...

Stinky Kitty

Reaction score
Another huge contribution, when Pete was writing Tommy (1968,) "He also wanted the material performed in concert, to counteract the trend of bands like the Beatles and the Beach Boys, whose studio output was not designed for live performance." According to Who biographer Dave Marsh.

"Their stage act relied on Townshend smashing his guitar or Moon demolishing his drums, which kept the group in debt. Townshend and Lambert realised they needed a larger vehicle for their music than hit singles, and a new stage show."*

So, he set about writing, "a series of songs that stood well in isolation, but formed a cohesive whole on the album. He also wanted the material performed in concert."*

And thus came the first viable Rock Opera. A new genre.

I#n addition, I put Pete into that class of guitarist who created a whole new approach to playing guitar. Players such as him and, say Jeff Beck, Brian May, Keef, and Jimi, did things previously never done before. As opposed to players like Clapton, Trower, Setzer, et al who mastered their genres. (Not to posit one camp over another. Both are equally valid, and demand equal rigor of dedication, creativity and inspiration.)

(Not to mention John being a lead bass player, and Moonie being the real front man.)

*Also from Marsh.

grumphh

Reaction score
I will have to join the chorus of people that do not understand his significance as a guitar player either.

Neither did the Who play a major role (in fact none at all) in my early teen years in the late 70's, and whenever i have heard The Who later the music (and specifically the guitar playing) has always left me fairly unimpressed.

...and yes, the guitars look horrible - but this can be said for quite a few famous players who chose to decorate their own guitars...

grumphh

Reaction score
Have you ever heard of a guitar player who would really like to learn to play like Townshend? :laugh2:

Come on, the guy was guitar player in a band that was famous for a few years (in times when rock music stardom was a new thing), and that's basically it.
And once you are famous, whatever you do gets hyped quite a bit...

He may have been part of the trend that got Jim Marshall started - but one musician alone is hardly a large enough customer base to start an amplifier manufacturing company...