Personalized Epiphones

DrBGood

Reaction score
I'm not sure I've seen a belly carve on an LP before. It's that an Epiphone? Also, cool weight relief! I hey that reality does something for the resonance of the guitar.
Yep Epiphone Ultra. It does sound hollower than a regular LP, I like that.

frater106

Reaction score

dubster82

Reaction score
Thanks guys

That iron cross LP is cool man. did you make the cross out of something or is it a sticker? looks real so assume you made it...

It's polished brass. I actually made an aluminium one, was a bit rough, so had one machined, then no one would plate it. Actually my friend found this one on ebay years ago believe it or not. He had a tarnished one (they came tarnished, I polished mine) and modified an Orville by Gibson into an aged Iron Cross which turned out pretty awesome tbh. I liked the idea of a non aged version.

Screenshot_20210829_231303_com.instagram.android.png

Cheers

Last edited:

TWANG

Reaction score
Sick looking pickguard!! How do you like your Bigsby? I've always kind of wanted one, but they're so expensive!

It's chinese!
I had a real bigsby on my les paul and I just give this a try.
I sold the bigsby and bought another chinese bigsby for my sheraton, same guitar as in the avatar.

They work great. I do have the roller bridges on both.
I think they were like 30.00 on wish... both over a year now and still all perfect. I can't see what could go wrong.

I can't upload a photo of the sheraton because they are too large. I don't know how to reduce the size!

TWANG

Reaction score
Sick looking pickguard!! How do you like your Bigsby? I've always kind of wanted one, but they're so expensive!

It's chinese. I sold the bigsby I had on it and bought two of the chinese types.
one is gold, on my sheraton II.
I love 'em.. the only problem was the spring was quite long. so I had to cut it with a dremel cutting wheel.
zip zip and I was happier than a Jewish mother at a briss.

rbraad68

Reaction score
Awesome Iron Cross Epiphone!!!

Where did you get cross and stripe from?

yeah no shit man i like that for sure!! If i decide not to trade my Custom off for this amp i want to do that to my custom too :=)

rbraad68

Reaction score
Thanks guys

It's polished brass. I actually made an aluminium one, was a bit rough, so had one machined, then no one would plate it. Actually my friend found this one on ebay years ago believe it or not. He had a tarnished one (they came tarnished, I polished mine) and modified an Orville by Gibson into an aged Iron Cross which turned out pretty awesome tbh. I liked the idea of a non aged version.

View attachment 558015

Cheers

Hey what's going on with the double toggle sytem you got going on there? I see you are using the EMG's how do you like them? I have a 2020 classic i'm going to blk out and put a set of either Black Winters, EMG's or the SD black outs in just can't decide which ones?? I really like the EMG's with the brushed alum covers....

dubster82

Reaction score
Awesome Iron Cross Epiphone!!!

Where did you get cross and stripe from?

Thanks! Like I say, the cross I got off ebay years ago, the stripe any vinyl sign company should be able or whip up for you. My mate also did an Iron Cross but he used an Orville and reliced it like the original, one of our friends had a vinyl cutter and made him stripes, a slightly different shade of gold.

Hey what's going on with the double toggle sytem you got going on there? I see you are using the EMG's how do you like them? I have a 2020 classic i'm going to blk out and put a set of either Black Winters, EMG's or the SD black outs in just can't decide which ones?? I really like the EMG's with the brushed alum covers....

It's not really a 'double toggle system'. They're James Hetfield signature models and he could never get used to the pickup selector where it is on a Les Paul, so he moves it to the controls like his flying V and 84 explorers were, but leaves the old one where it was to plug the hole and keep the les paul aesthetic.

Screenshot_20210906_113053_com.instagram.android.png

As for the EMG's, yeah, I love them. Have them in nearly every guitar I have. You can see on my two black Epi Les Paul's one has the standard black plastic emg and the other has their 'black' metal covers. Those aren't as black as I'd like, and it depends on the light and what they're reflecting. I don't have any brushed ones yet. Though I'd definitely try a set of the brushed black or brushed chrome because they look pretty cool.

I put chrome ones in my Firebird because Firebirds don't usually have pole pieces, so I thought this was a cool look.

Screenshot_20210906_114747_com.instagram.android.png

Last edited:

rbraad68

Reaction score
Thanks! Like I say, the cross I got off ebay years ago, the stripe any vinyl sign company should be able or whip up for you. My mate also did an Iron Cross but he used an Orville and reliced it like the original, one of our friends had a vinyl cutter and made him stripes, a slightly different shade of gold.

It's not really a 'double toggle system'. They're James Hetfield signature models and he could never get used to the pickup selector where it is on a Les Paul, so he moves it to the controls like his flying V and 84 explorers were, but leaves the old one where it was to plug the hole and keep the les paul aesthetic.

View attachment 559342

As for the EMG's, yeah, I love them. Have them in nearly every guitar I have. You can see on my two black Epi Les Paul's one has the standard black plastic emg and the other has their 'black' metal covers. Those aren't as black as I'd like, and it depends on the light and what they're reflecting. I don't have any brushed ones yet. Though I'd definitely try a set of the brushed black or brushed chrome because they look pretty cool.

I put chrome ones in my Firebird because Firebirds don't usually have pole pieces, so I thought this was a cool look.

View attachment 559344

that's awesome man! now that you mention that about james i rember reading something along those line about the toggle... as i mentioned before i want to do an all blk LP with a metal type pick up such as the blk winters the EMG's or the blk out's by SD spmething along those lines anyway... i think i may go as far as to knock the gloss off the top of the guitar as well. I have my 2020 classic i call " road rash " that i think i'm going to use since the thing already plays great. I have the blk tone pros and blk hipshot tuners already along with the blk pick up rings and blk metal dome knobs so there isn't a whole lot left to do other than the pick ups and the finish... thx for explaining that man reall cool guitars you have there...
classic 01.jpg

**Edit**

I have a 2020 blk custom i got early last yr around may that i never really liked. There was nothing wrong with the guitar I just never bonded with the thing. Well about a month ago i decided i wanted to switch all the gold over to chrome and put a set of SD pups in the guitar. I think it looks alot better with the chrome/nickel hardware and for some reason i'm actually starting to like the guitar. The SD pups sound really well in this guitar almost makes me think " why the hell did i leave those stock PB's in that guitar for so long??!! " Only thing i might change on it now is the tuners. I wound up taking the grover locking keystones off the guitar and using a stock set of nickel grovers off my 60s standard. The tuners work fine so maybe just swap out the buttons for some keystone buttons i have around here somewhere. Anyways there's nothing really personalized about this guitar it's just a cool guitar that i will finally get some use out of...
custom slash 01.jpg
kids 02.jpg

Last edited:

TWANG

Reaction score
the double toggle is series/parallel/single coil.
It's unfinished as I intended to add more with push/push pots.. and maybe a kill switch.

I got this on sale so I went at it..
the pups are one GFS and one Kent Armstrong. I tried a lot of gibsons and some others but these were what I kept.

I can't find a kill switch that would fit my strat and be on.. you know so I can have the switch on and press for off. The only ones I've found are constantly off unless you push. Anyone know?

Jonathan_alvarez

Reaction score
I just have played with the pickguard, not much, that's the only mod

Original
20200731_083857.jpg

Without pickguard

PXL_20210723_055206798.jpg

With hand doodle pickguard

IMG-20210909-WA0008.jpg

It looks different from the distance
PXL_20210910_203234113.PORTRAIT.jpg

On the 20th of July 2021 I aligned all the pegs to be perpendicular to the headstock (all in tune )
It was very cool to have it that way, but as you know strings stretches and now they don't look like that

PXL_20210720_092929925.jpg

by 14th of Sep 2021 they look like this
Low E has moved about 45 degrees, while high E has made a 180 twist already.
PXL_20210914_004227551.jpg

TWANG

Reaction score

I dumped the Bigsby and got a chinese model. did that to both my epis, the lp and the sheraton.
they fit. they work perfectly. I'm happy!
And cheap.. as little as 30.00 for the short ones.

Latest Threads